Just Perhaps

Re: Just Perhaps

Postby Wild Bill » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:59 am

Sammy had a depleted squad yesterday, only naming six subs. We are struggling a little but still have a bit of breathing distance from the drop zone. I fancy us to still get a bit of revenge at Cheltenham next week, then hopefully 3 points at home to Crewe. Lets see where we are on new years day before making any knee jerk reactions over the manager.

Yesterday we had the 2nd lowest crowd in the football league (behind Macclesfield). Just staying up should be seen as an achievement, particularly after the delays with the new ground etc.

We should be proud of being a League 2 outfit not barrating the manager for losing to a team which a few years ago would have been the match of the season. Perspective!
Wild Bill

Postby Keith » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:33 am

Wild Bill wrote:We are struggling a little but still have a bit of breathing distance from the drop zone...

Lets see where we are on new years day before making any knee jerk reactions over the manager.

Yesterday we had the 2nd lowest crowd in the football league (behind Macclesfield). Just staying up should be seen as an achievement...

We should be proud of being a League 2 outfit not barrating the manager for losing to a team which a few years ago would have been the match of the season. Perspective!

In principle, I agree with you but we are struggling a lot this season and we only have a 'breathing space' between the drop zone by virtue of being 'not actually in it'. Gillingham were the only team below us not to pick up points yesterday and we're two points above the drop.

Yes, staying up should be the first goal for the season. Perhaps expectations have been raised too much, especially after last season. But perhaps that is partly down to management comments about "the best squad ever" and that we "should be in the play offs". We've done precious little to demonstrate that the 'best squad' can deliver... yet.

I can't agree with your last comment though. Lincoln have been in the Conference relatively recently and not been as high as Championship (Division 2) since the sixties. Bradford or Port Vale I'd accept but Lincoln are fellow strugglers in the relegation dog fight and we need to be taking points off them, especially at home. And we are in a relegation dog fight, that needs to be instilled in the players minds. Any passengers need to be shipped out.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Wild Bill » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:31 am

Lincoln are an established League club, been in the last 16 of the FA cup three times and despite a lack of recent success still average 3500-4000 fans ever week.

Less than four years ago we playing FA Cup qualifying rounds in front of barely a 1,000 fans in the hope of playing a league team such as Lincoln.

Ok I know we have come a long way and should now be beating the likes of Lincoln at home but we also shouldn't expect too much. Our league adventure could go on for decades or end all too soon. We need our fans to stay loyal and behind the team whatever position we find ourselves in
Wild Bill

Previous

Return to General Discussion