O/T Risk it?

O/T Risk it?

Postby Christies Child » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:52 pm

My daughter starts Uni this weekend and she's wanting us to fork out £139.50 for her a TV licence. From what she has been saying some of her mates are gonna risk not having one. It sounds as though quite a lot risk it....

Anyboy heard of the TV 'police' catching 'em out?
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: O/T Risk it?

Postby marky » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:55 pm

Some unis have unofficial agreements with their 'tenants' that they don't need one (well, they used to). I personally wouldn't risk it.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby CASS » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:57 pm

Christies Child wrote:My daughter starts Uni this weekend and she's wanting us to fork out £139.50 for her a TV licence. From what she has been saying some of her mates are gonna risk not having one. It sounds as though quite a lot risk it....

Yes..UCLAN 2 X Terms ago and I think it was in the hall's... But they where errr..Orientals and
pleaded ignorance for a while then buggerd orf B'aht paying up.
http://nbutalad.blogspot.com/
Reflections of a grand l'al spot.
CASS

Postby DTSJim » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:59 pm

I think you're better off not risking it for the first year then seeing what happened to her mates.

You get refunded for the months she's not at uni as well by the way.
DTSJim

Postby Christies Child » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:02 pm

Talking it thru' we're gonna be good and pay up!
Christies Child

Postby Keith » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:06 pm

Video card in laptop. TV Licence people come... "TV? What TV?"

Just remember to unplug the ariel!!!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby ezz » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:14 pm

Christies Child wrote:My daughter starts Uni this weekend and she's wanting us to fork out £139.50 for her a TV licence. From what she has been saying some of her mates are gonna risk not having one. It sounds as though quite a lot risk it....

Erm they didn't catch people i know who dont have Tv licenses when they were in their first year of uni, but they did send warning letters
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Morecambe Jack » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:21 pm

I would advise not paying for a TV licence until you are sure you can get a signal! I've heard plenty of cases where people have paid the £140 and then gone into halls and have poor reception so can't watch it anyway!

She might also want to consider how often she will watch TV. You can legally watch programmes on iPlayer, 4OD and all these websites WITHOUT having a TV licence. In which case, it might not be worth taking a TV (and paying for a licence) and just watch the programmes through her laptop once they are available online. Its only live broadcast which requires a TV licence.

At the end of the day, if anyone did come knocking you can just refuse entry.

Have a read of this article: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/TV_Licence . Its on a student forum I use and it gives you information on claiming a refund for the quarter you will not use the TV licence i.e. july, august, september. So if you do decide to get the licence this will save a bit.

Also here is confirmation about not needing a tv licence for iplayer: http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/h ... /tvlicence

You might have guessed I'm starting uni next week too so I've been looking into this ;)
Morecambe Jack

Postby Shire Shrimp » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:28 pm

When I was in halls at Uni, I got a couple of warning letters telling me their records showed my room didnt have a licence (nor did it have a TV!). Every other room in the block got the same warnings at the same times, whether they had a TV or not! It just seemed to be an exercise they did at the start of term, a blanket mail out!

Non of the people i knew who had TVs paid up, we all just ticked the 'no TV in the premises' box and sent the warning letters back.

Of course, if I'd had a TV I'd have paid up ;)
Shire Shrimp

Postby Ego Tripping » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:45 pm

save the money and get setanta! :lol:
Ego Tripping

Postby Frobi » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:30 pm

From what I remember even if you have a tv licence or not, the TV Licence people cannot come into your halls of residence without 24 hours notice or something like that!

I paid my television licence throughout my first year at uni, but I also know also of people that did not pay and were never sent warning letters from what I can remember.

If anyone decides not to pay one and is at uni its quite simple, you find out that the TV Licence people are lurking, quickly put your tv in someones room who does have a tv, put it in the boot of someones car, or even in your wardrobe as I dont think they are actually allowed to search through the room, there just allowed to look in!
Frobi

Postby Heysham_red » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:40 pm

Am I the only person on here who thinks this is an absurd topic? He is basically asking if anyone here thinks its ok to break the law! it ridiculous! Regardless of whether you agree with it or not if your daughter is taking a TV to uni and intends to watch TV on that is the simple fact.

Now i am not suggesting i have never broken the law but I don’t remember anytime that i was going to deliberately break it and seek advice before I do.

Once more if your daughter is going to University surely she is old enough to make up her own mind and if you are that concerned pay it for her!
Heysham_red

Postby Plain Peter » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:49 pm

How do guests of HMG serving a bit of porridge in solitary get on?
Plain Peter

Postby campdave » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:15 pm

It's highly likely that the university network will block access to iplayer to save on bandwidth
campdave

Postby scalehallshrimp » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:19 pm

i agree this is a ridiculous item for a football club forum
scalehall shrimp
scalehallshrimp

Postby Plain Peter » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:40 pm

scalehallshrimp wrote:i agree this is a ridiculous item for a football club forum
scalehall shrimp

So why contribute?
It's O/T innit, and in the absence of a General Forum there ain't not anywhere elsewhere for O/T stuff to go :roll:
Plain Peter

Postby Morecambe Jack » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:08 pm

campdave wrote:It's highly likely that the university network will block access to iplayer to save on bandwidth

Can't comment for all universities but that's not true for mine.
Morecambe Jack

Postby Christies Child » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:06 pm

Heysham_red wrote:Am I the only person on here who thinks this is an absurd topic? He is basically asking if anyone here thinks its ok to break the law! it ridiculous! Regardless of whether you agree with it or not if your daughter is taking a TV to uni and intends to watch TV on that is the simple fact.

Now i am not suggesting i have never broken the law but I don’t remember anytime that i was going to deliberately break it and seek advice before I do.

Once more if your daughter is going to University surely she is old enough to make up her own mind and if you are that concerned pay it for her!

Suggest you read and digest my second post before you suggest that I'm going to deliberately break the law. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Christies Child

Postby Joelinho » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:19 pm

I'm going into my second year at uni and for my first i bought a licence. I regret it now, the majority of my flat mates didn't bother and got away with it. One student i know in another block got a warning through the post and bought one afterwards.
Plus now they know where to find me they're pestering me to re-new it this year!

My advice would be to risk it and buy one if they send a warning, which they're obligated to do.
Joelinho

Postby Old Man Kensey » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:20 am

Peter wrote:How do guests of HMG serving a bit of porridge in solitary get on?

They don't watch much TV anyway. You can't play on an X-box and watch TV at the same time now can you?
On a machine like this
Everybody gets their hands oily
Old Man Kensey

Postby Keith » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:53 am

Christies Child wrote:
Heysham_red wrote:Am I the only person on here who thinks this is an absurd topic? He is basically asking if anyone here thinks its ok to break the law! it ridiculous! Regardless of whether you agree with it or not if your daughter is taking a TV to uni and intends to watch TV on that is the simple fact.

Suggest you read and digest my second post before you suggest that I'm going to deliberately break the law. :evil: :evil: :evil:

While off topic discussions are, in my opinion, what make Shrimpsvoices a much more interesting place to post, the personal 'digs' don't add anything of interest. So with the question answered fully, and the first personal dig responded to, time to shut the thread.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion