Radio Lancashire

Re: Radio Lancashire

Postby Mark S » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:43 pm

quinny wrote:OK Time to defend myself.
My comments about SV were aimed at those FEW who only come on here when we lose and have a go at people.
My point has been validated in some way as we won yesterday and the FEW I was aiming at are nowhere to be seen today.
I love SV and the debates it brings but I am fed up of those who ONLY moan on here. I think it is more than a fair point to say that if some of the more negative posters held their hands up when we won and showed they were happy that we won I wouldn't be making such comments.
I know I have only commented on what a lot of people have said in the past including the majority who are in the press box week in week out.
I know people won't agree week in week out with what I write in a column (or what people write on SV) but that is what these avenues of communications are about.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions which is something that we all love about following football.

Not sure it reads that way to me Derek. With your permission I will quote the section of your article. If I was a neutral who had never logged on to Shrimpsvoices, I would take from this passage that everyone on SV is negative.

I was looking at Shrimpsvoices straight after the game (Tuesday) and was waiting for all those who have been criticising the team lately to give their views. Guess what? No sign of them. I bet they couldnt sleep on Tuesday because we won.

What could they moan about to their mates the day after? I bet they shut their curtains and stayed in bed all day Wednesday because it is not worth them getting up?

I say this with my tongue in my cheek, but thats what Shrimpsvoices seems to have become now.

I have no problem whatsoever with people giving their views because the game is all about opinions and that should never change. But there are some who cant seem to wait for us to lose because it means they have their moan. If the same people, even occasionally, came on when we won and said "That was good today etc" I would have more time for them.

If you had balanced it with 'Having said that, many of the Shrimpsvoices community are 100% behind the team and state so at every opportunity', I wouldnt have had so much of an issue. Just asking for a balance, thats all mate.

Matt Donlon fell into the same trap last week in the Programme when he had a rant in his column about 'messageboard demands'. This was one member out of hundreds who asked you to ask the manager a question. It made it sound as though we had all been at you!

Maybe I am being over sensitive, but I am protective about this messageboard and we work hard to ensure it helps promote the club in a positive light as possible.
Mark S

Postby al1 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:46 pm

just like to say how lucky we are these days to have so much coverage of the club,back in the 70s the only way of getting our result on a saturday was to go and get my copy of 'football pink' from west end rd newsagent.sometimes we would get on the 'grandstand' vidiprinter,but other than that it was impossible to get the result . leave quinny alone,pick on someone your own size :lol:
al1

Postby Keith » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:46 pm

I think the likes of Ned perform an important function on the board. When everyone is feeling a bit frustrated, they post something extreme, which unites everyone else to be positive again. I'm sure that some of what he posts is just to wind people up, for example, Ned's was the first negative post regarding Wayne, everyone else suggested he was close to being MotM, so if he was indeed 'surrounded' by others who failed to see him contributing, he was either exaggerating or at a different ground! But as a result, lots of positive posts about Wayne appear.

So don't try to silence the critics, respond to them... positively!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby quinny » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:12 pm

Mark
You are quite rightly protective of SV and my crime perhaps is that I am over protective of the club I love and will defend it when I feel I can.
You may not agree with what I have said but it's all about opinions - that I'm sure we all agree on.
Long may that remain.
quinny

Postby Christies Child » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:31 pm

As someone who has probably annoyed a lot on SV's during my time, I've tried always to respect the opinion of others, despite wanting to have 'a right go' in retaliation.

But surely that is the beauty of SV's, we can all have opinions, realising that to get 100% agreement on a subject is asking too much.

Long may the banter; good, bad or totally indifferent continue.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby marky » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:05 pm

quinny wrote:Mark
You are quite rightly protective of SV and my crime perhaps is that I am over protective of the club I love and will defend it when I feel I can.
You may not agree with what I have said but it's all about opinions - that I'm sure we all agree on.
Long may that remain.

Are you suggesting those who criticise don't love the club? Recently both yourself and Matt Donlon have attacked the more pessimistic/negative fans, which is rather hypocritical given the very nature of such an attack is negativity about those people. You state that it's all about opinions - how about recognising the right of every individual (a right afforded to them by the owner) to express their views on this independent message board? You and other club officials may not like what they read, but (as others have said) no organisation can afford to ignore negative views. When we win, that doesn't automatically mean everything is wonderful. When we lose, it doesn't necessarily mean everything is terrible (although everything said about the Rotherham defeat was entirely justified).

I have a theory. When we lose, particulary if we lose badly, emotions are likely to be running high and therefore people are more likely to rant on here. When we win, people are happy and are therefore less inclined to air their views. Letters pages in newspapers are nearly always predominantly negative because people get more worked up about things they are angry about/disappointed with.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Previous

Return to General Discussion