I,m going to the game tomorrow with a group of 12 or so

I,m going to the game tomorrow with a group of 12 or so

Postby Arnside Red » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:52 pm

only 5 of us are regulars so hoping for a decent game to impress the others (and thus return), re the bar, can anyone go in for a pre match drink before going into the standing areas (i never go in the bar pre games usually), thinking of going on the terrace if its not raining so that will be a new experience an all
Arnside Red

Re: I,m going to the game tomorrow with a group of 12 or so

Postby morecambe mick » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:55 pm

The bar at the front is a public bar it is usually reserved for home fans only. It is usually quite full too.
morecambe mick

cheers Mick

Postby Arnside Red » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:07 pm

wouldnt have been a problem where to meet up before CP eh ;)
Arnside Red

Re: cheers Mick

Postby Gnasher » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:10 am

Arnside Red wrote:wouldnt have been a problem where to meet up before CP eh ;)

Last time I was down westgate, the Mitchell had a sign outside offering food & drink deals.
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby sgt major » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:33 am

You could park at the York (No probs), have a pre-match tipple, bar snack then off on the bus to the ground.
sgt major

Postby casey jones » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:58 pm

getting more desparate with each post/advert/plead. it is getting rather tedious.
casey jones

Postby Seasider9601 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:01 pm

casey jones wrote:getting more desparate with each post/advert/plead. it is getting rather tedious.

So if you had a business then Casey like Mick's, you wouldn't do the same then and try and promote it / sell it ?? :?
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby sgt major » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:20 pm

To be fair Casey hasnt the bollocks to come into my place and tell me that himself. And to set the record straight - yes we are a bit peed off with our so called customers who have just got up and left. I wonder if anyone else will get up at half six to make breakfasts before away trips and keep the bar open late at night on returns - probably nowhere I guess. And I wonder how many other bars will have raised money for the club by putting on fundraisers - probably none. One more thing - gave the players a massive discount on the rooms when they stayed over - some exiles visiting Morecambe wont even give our B&B's a chance.

So yes - I do have to attempt to raise awareness about the one true supporters pub in Morecambe.
sgt major

Postby casey jones » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:41 pm

i think everybody knows where said bar is, we dont need to be pleaded with EVERY SINGLE HOME GAME. If people are going to this bar, they are going to go anyway. Dont see anyone else using this FORUM as a free advertising hoarding at every opportunity. Any good reason for mentioning fundraisers for club? Ego! Ps, not sure b#ll###s is strictly true.
casey jones

Postby Plain Peter » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:52 pm

sgt major wrote: some exiles visiting Morecambe wont even give our B&B's a chance.

VFM is my excuse.
When we visit it's usually for a week or more.
B&B is too expensive for what you get.
Self-catering, preferably with a view, is a much more attractive and relaxing choice.
Plain Peter

Postby nobbyshrimp » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:40 pm

casey jones wrote:getting more desparate with each post/advert/plead. it is getting rather tedious.

This is a pathetic quote :!: :!:
I am an exile who reads but rarely comments on this forum anymore. I have not been in the York for quite a long time but i have met Mick a couple of times over the years but he wouldn't remember me so before you think i'm his mate think again. Mick has done a tremendous amount of work for Morecambe FC over the years and has thrown his heart and sole back into the leisure business of a dying seaside town which in itself is one hell of a gamble. He has built up an excellent business + reputation in Morecambe and encouraged away football fans to join the home fans for a pre + post match drink thus assisting with the 'friendliest football fans' tag we have. He has also made many friends up and down the country because of this. With the moving of our beloved club to the Globe the one business that will unfortunately suffer the most will be the York whilst others along Westgate will in turn prosper. I personally don't have a problem with your posts Mick and long may they continue :!: Good luck!! :D
nobbyshrimp

Postby Gnasher » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:50 pm

Self-catering, preferably with a view, is a much more attractive and relaxing choice.

Hence the Kings Arms?

I don't blame any business these days for grabbing as much attention as they can get. The caravan park are doing away deals, Mitchell's are giving it a go and Mick's doing his best to make a living by making supporters feel at home and a travel base. Don't knock any of them, you might need them one day.
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby Plain Peter » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:11 pm

Gnasher wrote:Hence the Kings Arms?

One night only! Like most people I'm on a budget, and £36 was a no-brainer.
Many people use dedicated accommodation websites.
Perhaps Mick should get The York onto www.booking.com
Plain Peter

Postby Keith » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:16 am

casey jones wrote:Dont see anyone else using this FORUM as a free advertising hoarding at every opportunity.

More fool them then? As long as it isn't excessive, then I've not got a problem with it. In tough economic times, any small businessman should be looking at ways to maximise awareness.

That said... and I have said this to Mick before...

sgt major wrote:yes we are a bit peed off with our so called customers who have just got up and left. I wonder if anyone else will get up at half six to make breakfasts before away trips and keep the bar open late at night on returns - probably nowhere I guess.

Sometimes his posts can be 'abrasive'. This one is hardly likely to tempt people back. Everyone knew that things would change post the move to The Globe and The York would have a challenge ahead, but being "peed off" with "so called customers" is hardly the best way to get them to return.

The York is a crackin' pub with decent beer & food. And I've stayed there on one occasion and found it to be pleasant and good value.

For balance and fairness, I've also stayed at The Lothersdale Hotel on the prom which is another business that is owned by Morecambe FC fans and occasional forum contributors and had a nice stay there too.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Ntini » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:40 am

As a Business Counsellor for small businesses, I think this is exactly the right place to mention the services that Mick offers at the York. A football pub which has supported the club we all love, for home and away fans - so mention it on the club's forum!
Here was the original post (simple, polite marketing for a target audience):
sgt major wrote:You could park at the York (No probs), have a pre-match tipple, bar snack then off on the bus to the ground.

I see nothing wrong with that simple reminder of some great pre/post match refreshments with a good way of getting to the ground and back as well. Then someone goes and rubs him up the wrong way! You antagonise him and so he reacts. So what do you expect? This is his business, his job and his livelihood. Give the man a break...
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Well, the night was enjoyed by all

Postby Arnside Red » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:26 pm

esp the guys who sat in the stand, they were very complimentary re the facilities, the rest of us stood on the terrace, i thought we would have more room for 8 of us there, we did, hadnt bargained on the rain though buggar..decent game for the neutrals and hoping some of them will pay further visits,,
form my pov standing on the terrace and looking at the home end made me realise how small it looks compared the the old north stand, doesnt really look very impressive at all, obviously most of the money has gone into the main stand
Arnside Red

Postby Wild Bill » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:54 pm

Keith wrote:
casey jones wrote:Dont see anyone else using this FORUM as a free advertising hoarding at every opportunity.

More fool them then? As long as it isn't excessive, then I've not got a problem with it. In tough economic times, any small businessman should be looking at ways to maximise awareness.

That said... and I have said this to Mick before...

sgt major wrote:yes we are a bit peed off with our so called customers who have just got up and left. I wonder if anyone else will get up at half six to make breakfasts before away trips and keep the bar open late at night on returns - probably nowhere I guess.

Sometimes his posts can be 'abrasive'. This one is hardly likely to tempt people back. Everyone knew that things would change post the move to The Globe and The York would have a challenge ahead, but being "peed off" with "so called customers" is hardly the best way to get them to return.

The York is a crackin' pub with decent beer & food. And I've stayed there on one occasion and found it to be pleasant and good value.

For balance and fairness, I've also stayed at The Lothersdale Hotel on the prom which is another business that is owned by Morecambe FC fans and occasional forum contributors and had a nice stay there too.

Well said that modorator. I think Mick deserves plenty of credit for what he has done for the York and Morecambe FC in general. Seeing the open top bus on the first game was amazing and I hope the innovative ideas continue. No harm in subtle plugs IMO.

In saying that no 'business' can just expect customers to always be there purely out of loyalty. The location of the new ground may just mean that it is simply not as practical to have a pre-match pint in the York. I hope though that it continues to do ok as like Mick says it is the only real Morecambe fans pub in town.
Wild Bill

Postby MfcChris » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:18 pm

Just think how much business the fish and shop near CP has lost. Okay some people still go there after the game, as I sometimes do, but they must be gutted on a Saturday.
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby shrimpnsave » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:21 pm

gutted

:lol: :lol: :lol:
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby MfcChris » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:22 pm

:?:
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby marky No.1 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:27 pm

It's a fish joke matey. If you lurk around here in the evenings on a regular basis you will soon get used to Shrimpnsave, Spudhead and Essex Shrimp, not to mention myself but you get me whatever time of day you log in! :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby MfcChris » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:29 pm

marky No.1 wrote:It's a fish joke matey. If you lurk around here in the evenings on a regular basis you will soon get used to Shrimpnsave, Spudhead and Essex Shrimp, not to mention myself but you get me whatever time of day you log in! :lol:

Cheers, so I did my own joke/pun without realising :lol:
MfcChris

Postby Keith » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:28 pm

MfcChris wrote:Cheers, so I did my own joke/pun without realising :lol:

And a cod-awful pun it was too, little wonder you saw it flounder. Don't worry, you'll soon get used to this plaice :?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion