Southend 2 Morecambe 3 Drummie, Mullin, Spencer F/T

Re: Southend 2 Morecambe 3 Drummie, Mullin, Spencer F/T

Postby Matty the Shrimp » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:23 pm

But how would Jevons score the amount of goals he did last season without Mullin.
Take for instance, Rotherham, they had Le-fondre and the big fella partnering him, now i bet the big fella doesn't score 20+ goals a season, but he will get knocks down for Le-fondre. We need Mullin, and i agree with you he is less effective on his own but still effective.
Still he is one of the first names on the sheet for me following Roche,Duffy and parrish.
Bring me sunshine...
Matty the Shrimp

Postby MORECAMBE_RULE » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:34 pm

You see you've without meaning to hit the nail on the head. Jevons didnt get a single goal from a Mullin knockdown last season in any of the games I saw him last season. Mullins work ethic is good, its just that he isn't very beneficial to the team. He's a big lad yet he rarely heads the ball to a team mate. His intentions are good, his final product not so. However if Jimmy Spencer and Mullin work well together then I think Mullin is fully worth a place. Mullin just needs to try taking the ball under more instead of heading it to where he thinks someone is.
1 Notts County 46 65 93
2 Bournemouth 46 17 83
3 Rochdale 46 34 82
4 SHRIMPS 46 9 73
MORECAMBE_RULE

Postby outsider » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:38 pm

Mullin just needs to try taking the ball under more instead of heading it to where he thinks someone is.

Or he needs to play with a striker (Spencer) who can read the flick on's, not a midfielder (Suker,Duffy) who can't.
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Postby james456 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:55 pm

Give me any two of Mullin/Spencer/Jevons up front and I think we'd be ok.
james456

Postby heysham_mfc » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:04 pm

Hope Huddersfield let us keep Spencer for the rest of the season.
heysham_mfc

Postby Opinionated » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:10 pm

heysham_mfc wrote:Hope Huddersfield let us keep Spencer for the rest of the season.

If Huddersfield have another good season then I can't imagine he will be needed by them. As long as we give him games then surely they will be happy for him to remain at the Globe to continue his footballing education.
'Patience is key in football' - Darren Lock
Opinionated

Postby shrimper » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:31 pm

There were quite a few times on Saturday when Mullin flicked headers on, or to the side and Shuker (to be fair to him) and Duffy anticipated them and got the ball (though then Shuker struggled to do much with it as he soon came under pressure from one or two stronger defenders).

What does Mullin do? He gives us an 'out-ball' every time by being able to hold the ball up, keep possession (very rarely gets robbed) and bring supporting players into the game. He occupies two of their defenders and creates space for other team-mates whom he often finds with neat passes or headers.

Yes some of his headers do drift into non-productive areas but that's usually when the ball has been pumped forward a little too strongly and he only has one team-mate up with him (if any at all).

Otherwise he can direct his headers pretty accurately if he has supporting players with him.

He is also very fit and is still energetic and lively at 90 minutes nearly every game.

He doesn't shoot very well and, for a big tall player, funnily enough, he isn't the best I've seen at attacking the ball with his head to go for goal.
But I still think he's an effective player for us.

When Jevo's fit I'd put him straight in there with Mullers but with the warning that he has to 'up' his game or Spencer's going to get regular starts.
Shuker has filled in quite well in the supporting striker position but Jevons and Spencer are more effective.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:11 am

Apparently "Morecambe pretended they were a rugby team"

http://www.shoot.co.uk/news/latest_arti ... attention/

Good job this guy didn't see us 3 years ago! :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Previous

Return to General Discussion