Formation and team...

Formation and team...

Postby Matty the Shrimp » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:38 pm

A lot of people on this forum are abit off it to be honest... Why would we drop Jevons? Top goal scorer by a long way last season (i don't care about the penaltys, he still scored them.)

Have none of you acctually cotinplated that acctually it might be the service he is getting that isn't allowing him to play well?
Yes we know he isn't the man to hold it up, but if you drop him you are losing a key goal scorer...
Also i feel that Moss just can't play in the first team any more, he gets beaten far too easily and makes some silly desisions. I can't say we look completely solid defensively away from home so maybe two formations could be used?
Give Shuker some time, maybe take him off for 2 or 3 matches. And play this formation at home for the next few games:

------------------Roche-----------------------
Parrish----McCready-------Scott----Wilson
-------------------Stanley------------------
Duffy----------------------------------Rundle
------------------Flemming------------------
---------Jevons------------Mullin-----------
After all we did get 30 goals out of those two strikers last season and with two good wingers we could get a hell of alot more!
We can cover the back four with Stanley who can get up and support in attack and he can get back and help defend, he's quite a fit player so it should be ok.

Away go a more defensive route:
-----------Roche------------
----Parrish----- McCready------Scott---
Moss--------------------------------Wilson
----------Stanley----Flemming----------
-----------------Rundle----------------
---------Jevons----------Mullin---------
By using that formation Moss can play in his defered postion and we effectivley have an extra centre back, the two wing backs can go forwards and back depending on how well we are dominating the game.
With Rundle, let him just float around, he looks very good when running at people so maybe he could run at defenders and have jevons on the shoulder of the attacker, who cares if he gets a few offsides but he might score plenty of goals aswell.

Does anyone agree with what i'm saying here?

Essay Fin. :lol:
Bring me sunshine...
Matty the Shrimp

Re: Formation and team...

Postby essex_shrimp » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:44 pm

Times change in football .

I dunno why Jevons is not scoring at the moment no idea.

But come on we have played the stronger league Two teams so far if were in this trouble after the next 4-5 games then change the team.

Still we got something going
essex_shrimp

Postby Matty the Shrimp » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:46 pm

essex_shrimp wrote:I dunno why Jevons is not scoring at the moment no idea.

he's not had the service, the one clear cut chance he had against burnley he took it, he hasn't had any others that were that clear cut i don't think..
Bring me sunshine...
Matty the Shrimp

Postby parceldave » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:12 pm

Matty the Shrimp wrote:

he's not had the service, the one clear cut chance he had against burnley he took it, he hasn't had any others that were that clear cut i don't think..

To get the service you have to put yourself about a bit so you can create your own chances , and if you were at Wycombe you would have seen the difference between someone who puts themselves about and someone who wasn't interested. In the first half Betsy was causing our defence all sorts of problems with and without the ball. In the second half we had some great possession with both Shuker and Rundle putting in some good crosses , but absolutely no one in the penalty area. :o . From most of the games i have seen this season, it seems to me that this is our biggest problem. Plenty of possession but no end product , last nights stats being a prime example, 6 shots on target and 6 off , but no goals. If you have a striker who cant head and one who cant shoot then i dont see how you can call them STRIKERS. ;)
parceldave

Postby Little Shrimp » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:13 pm

Matty the Shrimp wrote:A lot of people on this forum are abit off it to be honest... Why would we drop Jevons? Top goal scorer by a long way last season (i don't care about the penaltys, he still scored them.)

Have none of you acctually cotinplated that acctually it might be the service he is getting that isn't allowing him to play well?
Yes we know he isn't the man to hold it up, but if you drop him you are losing a key goal scorer...
Also i feel that Moss just can't play in the first team any more, he gets beaten far too easily and makes some silly desisions. I can't say we look completely solid defensively away from home so maybe two formations could be used?
Give Shuker some time, maybe take him off for 2 or 3 matches. And play this formation at home for the next few games:

After all we did get 30 goals out of those two strikers last season and with two good wingers we could get a hell of alot more!
We can cover the back four with Stanley who can get up and support in attack and he can get back and help defend, he's quite a fit player so it should be ok.

By using that formation Moss can play in his defered postion and we effectivley have an extra centre back, the two wing backs can go forwards and back depending on how well we are dominating the game.
With Rundle, let him just float around, he looks very good when running at people so maybe he could run at defenders and have jevons on the shoulder of the attacker, who cares if he gets a few offsides but he might score plenty of goals aswell.

I'd play the first formation.
Little Shrimp

Postby George Dawes » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:15 pm

If you have a striker who cant head and one who cant shoot then i dont see how you can call them STRIKERS.

a good un that :lol:
George Dawes

Postby Matty the Shrimp » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:16 pm

parceldave wrote:
Matty the Shrimp wrote:

To get the service you have to put yourself about a bit so you can create your own chances , and if you were at Wycombe you would have seen the difference between someone who puts themselves about and someone who wasn't interested. In the first half Betsy was causing our defence all sorts of problems with and without the ball. In the second half we had some great possession with both Shuker and Rundle putting in some good crosses , but absolutely no one in the penalty area. :o . From most of the games i have seen this season, it seems to me that this is our biggest problem. Plenty of possession but no end product , last nights stats being a prime example, 6 shots on target and 6 off , but no goals. If you have a striker who cant head and one who cant shoot then i dont see how you can call them STRIKERS. ;)

Thats why we should play Mullin - can head and jevons - can shoot, problem solved ;) We all know how effective it was last season!
Bring me sunshine...
Matty the Shrimp

Postby George Dawes » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:21 pm

or just get a striker in there what can do both(try Spencer) ;)

and keep the midfield as it is now, creating chances and having long periods ingame of ball possession
George Dawes

Postby marky » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:23 pm

It was also 'effective' playing Drummond, etc, but times move on in football. Personally I'd prefer it if we didn't have a strikeforce with a combined age of 66. We shouldn't change a formation just to suit Jevons, given that weakens us defensively. Therefore, regardless of prior exploits, it should be a case of Jevons making way for a player who might be more successful in the lone striker role. I don't care how young Spencer is, all the reports suggest he is exactly that kind of player.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Matty the Shrimp » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:28 pm

DawZi wrote:or just get a striker in there what can do both(try Spencer) ;)

and keep the midfield as it is now, creating chances and having long periods ingame of ball possession

So we are going to rely on an 18 year old that is only here till Janurary, then what?
I agree that the midfield have plenty of possesion and i feel that Scott breaks up the play well but in the final 3rd the midfielders don't give the killer pass, thats where we struggle.
Bring me sunshine...
Matty the Shrimp

Postby Opinionated » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:24 pm

Matty the Shrimp wrote:------------------Roche-----------------------

Home - Stanley is not suited to playing defensive midfield as he cant tackle. Apart from that I like the formation and team selection. Although I would like to see all four strikers given a chance.

Away - Can Moss be effective offensively? Again Stanley isn't a defensive midfielder and therefore Fleming would have to do the majority of the defending meaning we wont get to see his attacking capabilities. Moss and Wilson will be heavily relied on to provide width and if they dont the formation fails.

In addition: What about Hunter. Has always impressed me even though it's clear Sammy doesn't like him. He sets the tempo and would provide a solution to our slow starts.
'Patience is key in football' - Darren Lock
Opinionated

Postby james456 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:27 pm

If we asked the Football League nicely, maybe they'd let us play with 12 men so we can have both Jevons and a strong midfield :)

Seriously though, how about sacrificing the wings?

____________Roche__________
Parrish_McCready_Haining_Wilson
___________Scott____________
____Stanley_______Fleming____
____________Duffy___________
_______Jevons___Mullin_______

Ok, you might not get too many crosses in but if you can persuade Willo to attack and with Duffy (Or Shuker) drifting to the right wing, it could work. Maybe.
james456

Postby Lloydie » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:28 pm

Matty the Shrimp wrote:A lot of people on this forum are abit off it to be honest... Why would we drop Jevons? Top goal scorer by a long way last season (i don't care about the penaltys, he still scored them.)

you where doing ok till you put Moss as a wing back!!! did you seem him there last time?
Lloydie

Postby Caged Lion » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:49 pm

We have to play with 2 attackers, I would rather have a chance at scoring a few goals than all this powder puff tapping around the final third of recent weeks.

Jevons looked hugely relieved when Mullin came on last Saturday. Shuker isn't doing well and after listening to the game at Macclesfield I think it is time to give him a spell on the bench. Moss isn't performing well either, last season he did something similar and Sammy benched him for most of the season.

Have Mullin on from the start and ask Duffy or Rundle to pepper them with the ball until one finally works out how to hit the back of the net.

Haining is a good defender and clever with the football, why isn't he in the team from the start? Shove Andy Parrish back out to the right and have him scampering forward to do a few pirouettes and wellie the ball across. Wilson surging forward from the left doing similar. Stanley powering right through the middle with Fleming controlling the game and Scott in front of the centrebacks would guarantee a win against Oxford.

So it goes like this...

Roche
Parrish McCready Haining Wilson
Fleming Scott Stanley Duffy
Jevons Shearer
Caged Lion

Return to General Discussion