o/t Beckham v Capello

o/t Beckham v Capello

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:46 am

Capello has embarrassed himself well and truly this time. At least McClaren gave him notice :lol: Becks is an icon and the FA won't like empty seats at Wembley. Capello just doesn't see the bigger picture. Anyway on the football side there can be no sentiment for playing an old fart :lol: :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Re: o/t Beckham v Capello

Postby Suzi Quatro » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:58 pm

Capello should be removed from his position. He failed in accordance with his role as England Manager in the recent world cup. He is the last person to make judgements about great players like David Beckham. I have to say that Beckham is a golden treasure with the looks.
Capello is a fool to reomove him at this stage.
Suzi Quatro

Postby Joe Oh » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:37 am

David Beckham-

• Hasn't been an England regular for 5 years.
  • Will be 37 at the next tournament.
  • Has long term injury problems.
  • Has Walcott, Lennon, Wright-Phillips and Adam Johnson ahead of him in the right wing position.
  • Plays football in a joke league.

Of course his England career is over! Where's the problem?

Stop reading the tabloids.
Joe Oh

Postby George Dawes » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:05 am

in defence for Capello, he was corned by the media with this question, and struggled in answering properly with the English language(needs more lessons)

and he more or less said he thinks David will be to old for the next tornement and never gave a definite answer

note thats with the TV interview i seen.
George Dawes

Postby slackAlice » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:42 am

Joe Oh
David Beckham-

•Hasn't been an England regular for 5 years.
•Will be 37 at the next tournament.
•Has long term injury problems.
•Has Walcott, Lennon, Wright-Phillips and Adam Johnson ahead of him in the right wing position.
•Plays football in a joke league.

Of course his England career is over! Where's the problem?

Stop reading the tabloids.

Spot on.
Was he ever a 'GREAT' player ? I think he was good at a time when there was a dearth of greatness. It's nothing personal against Mr Beckam I've nothing against him , decent fella an all that, but he's been built up to be GOD like. That seems to be the England way - Rooney seems to get similar treatment - its not healthy.
I can think of GREAT England players who've hardly been mentioned in comparison to Mr Beckam - Peter Beardsley was always a favourite of mine ask Gary Linekar how good he thought Beardsley was - but others like Shearer , he was great.
Capello's had it in my book - the media will hound him out now-turn him into a joke.
slackAlice

Postby Plain Peter » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:58 am

DawZi wrote:in defence for Capello, he was corned by the media with this question, and struggled in answering properly with the English language(needs more lessons)

and he more or less said he thinks David will be to old for the next tornement and never gave a definite answer

note thats with the TV interview i seen.

That's my interpretation too.
Just because Capello answered a question "No!", doesn't mean that he meant that Beckham would never play for England again. It was more of an exclamatory statement to the question.
Plain Peter

Postby George Dawes » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:05 am

it's fairly obvious Capello as a lot of respect for Beckham with bringing him out of international wilderness in the first place

and plus inviting him to Africa to help the squad
George Dawes

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:19 am

The fans' reaction to our flop does'nt help Capello's cause
churchill.jpg
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Suzi Quatro » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:04 pm

David Beckham is a national Treasure and he is drop dead Gorgeous bless him. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Suzi Quatro

Postby wijit » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:07 am

Capello has said he would only pick players who were playing regualr first team football for their club. I'll not bother listing, but a good proportion of his last few squads failed to meet that criteria.
Next, sentiment has nothing to do with it, if I were playing Crouch there is no better person to cross a ball to his head/feet or any other of our players then Beckham, he is still the best crosser of a dead ball we have too. This in itself should be a concern, it leaves us with real problems because we really have no-one looking even close to that quality.
Joe oh, you need to look at the above. None of the players on your list are anything like beckhams quality, even now, and they bloody should be!
Dawzi, Capello wasn't caught out with the line of questioning, his grasp of English is plenty good enough now to know that you simply cannot say somebody is too old and then say (as equivalent, to save me finding it and quoting word for word) that you haven't phoned the player in question to let him know because you have a good relationship "there is no problem".
SlackAlice, you really need your head seeing to if you honestly think Beardsley was a "great", Shearer could've been had he only kept his elbows down, such an eye for goal as well.
peter, as above. Capello didn't just say no, and to compound matters he thought it a good idea to offer a last game to say goodbye!
Dawzi, 2nd time! You are spot on with the respect thing, one thing Capello has shown to be, is honest. At madrid he admitted to being wrong about Beckham when he dropped him and said he'd never play for Madrid again only to change his mind, and he was shown to be right to do so.
havning been watching England for far longer than my bank manager would like, beckham was the best captain we had since Bobby Moore, whilst I'd not put him as fit to clean Moores' boots he is still far and away better than most.
he will never be a 90 minute international again, but he still offers mush to change a game if (when!) we need it. he has the experience of many aspects of the game, and has made most of the mistakes our newer players have and will make which could prove absolutely priceless in giving these younger players a bit more stability as they get used to the pressues which seem endemic to England.
He'd not really be up to another World Cup, but he could easily go a distance towards helping us get there.
wijit

Postby Aspers » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:22 am

I agree with Wijit on this.
Not sure about the mush though 8-)
Wijit I think has summed it up although I think Shearer would've become immortal had he signed for Man U and let the po faced scot look after him.
Aspers

Postby slackAlice » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:39 am

wijit
SlackAlice, you really need your head seeing to if you honestly think Beardsley was a "great", Shearer could've been had he only kept his elbows down, such an eye for goal as well.

I was using Beardsley as an example of an 'underated' England player - to me personally he was a great - but in the grand scheme of things NO not a great. I stand by Alan Shearer though 63 caps [34 as el capitano] and 30 goals -5th in the all time England score / appearence ratio I think - a terrific England player for club & country , excellent 'role model'.

Beckam is more showbiz than sportsman but as I tried to get across thats not his fault - its media hype - I'm not saying he aint a good player he just aint a GREAT imo ; and it would seem he's become MR England football wise whether he's picked or not. Capello is probably hoping Becks retires gracefully - if he's asked are you going to pick him / include him whats he meant to say ? What was missing was dialogue between the two privately it would seem.
But we don't know the full story , I've often wondered whether England managers and Capello in particular consider him more of a hindrance than a help - kind of a distraction . We don't know what he's like in the changing room or on the training pitch - he could be a right pain in the arse in that environment. But he's become a BRAND the fans love him , the women love him , men love him , kids love him and I bet he loves us - he's even really neat & tidy.
I've never been to an England match and have no desire to - I'll watch the odd 10 minutes if there on the box but I find them as dull as ditch water of recent times - the Hungary game wasn't much and how there ranked 7th in the world ???
But its all about opinions isn't it - I mean of the recent crop there's only Gerrard you could say would qualify as a great and he's probaly got a bit to do before he gets there ??
slackAlice

Return to General Discussion