O/T Company car tax

O/T Company car tax

Postby Christies Child » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:48 am

My company estate car has the name of my company emblazened on the body work.

I've been told that because of the logos on the vehicle that the company car tax may not apply.

I've tried numerous web sites but can't get a definitive answer.

Can anybody provide some info please?

Thanks
CC
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: O/T Company car tax

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:55 am

Assuming that, as a company car, your company pays the car tax, what concern is this to you, or us :?:

I have been running my own business for 20 years and have never come across any road tax discounts for company vehicles.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Christies Child » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:06 am

Probably not explained properly :oops:

I'm referring to the Personal Tax I pay for having a company vehicle.

I've been told that it no longer applies to a company car that has the name of the company emblazened on its body.
Christies Child

Postby scar » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:08 am

If the company your working for provides you with a company car, then your liable for the tax

This link may help you calculate the tax liability.
http://cccfcalculator.hmrc.gov.uk/

There is no discount if the car is emblazened with logos from what ever company your working for.
scar

Postby Mark S » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:10 am

At the risk of sounding obvious, I would ring up the Tax office. Whenever I have done that in Personal Tax matters, including Company Car Tax, they have been more than helpful.

I think it is more to do with whether you are using it for personal use out of works hours. If you are using it only within your work time it is different. If you can prove that you park it up at night (a bit like a works van) then you might be OK.

Ring the Tax Office.
Mark S

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:13 am

You won't get a discount cc . A while ago there was a trend to drive round in a 4cab pick up type vehicle scribed with decals etc as these were initially classed as a van which only had a $500 tax on the user. Needless to say the chancellor soon stopped that loophole!

Company car tax is a tax on the user/driver and is paid via your tax return. Ie the value of the car together with its co2 emissions is knocked off your tax free allowances. The company doesn't pay this for you! He may pay you extra money towards the tax but it is you that forks out in the end!

Having had years of c.c.'s the c.c.'s of my engine got taxed so much I gave them up C.C.. Drive your own car and claim 40p a mile tax free for business mileage instead. Only up to 10000 miles a year of course as the chancellor hates us to get too much benefit out of it. :(
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:23 am

Yes Mark, if you have a works van that is only used for business use often classed as a pool vehicle isn't taxed providing it is left on business premises and not in your own driveway for example! There are 10000's of works vans scattered around driveways it won't be long before the new regime are checking up on these . You could get a pushbike cc your company will pay you 25p a business mile for riding it. Remember home to work and back ISN'T business!!

As Mark says always check first
marky No.1

Postby Gnasher » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:41 am

Lancaster tax office is in Dalton Square, to the right of the green windows. I've called in with various questions in the past and they've been extremely helpful. Or http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cars/

The fact that there is no mention of decal'd vehicles is very likely to mean it's irrelevant.
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby Christies Child » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:16 am

Cheers as always to everybody.

I didn't think it would reduce my tax but my sister in law who is a former accountant brought it to my attention.

I'm going to have a word with the tax office but thought you guys on SVs (the font of all knowledge ;) ) would be in the know.
Christies Child

Postby George Dawes » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:36 am

the only tax i know what you pay for with the use of a company vehicle is when your using it outside working hours for private use

you have to fill in a PD11 form, my company wanted me to pay this it's a extra £15 out of your wages in tax

just tell them you dont use it privately and then you still get a 50-mile a week allowance i have a tracker in my vehicle as proof if required
George Dawes

Postby Gnasher » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:43 am

Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:11 pm

Well don't let them diddle ya like they did last time!! :lol:

Christies Child wrote:My accountant once told me to always opt for a company car if i did over 18,000 miles a year. As somebody who clocks over 52,000 miles a year, the company car has its advantages. But whichever way you choose, the tax man usually gets his share!

HOWEVER with the issuing of new codes being sent out this week just check on the car benefit section.

I checked mine out and found that the tax people were overcharging me for my current vehicle make and model. As a result of questioning their figues I gained a further £2000 in allowance. Had i not taken the time to check it out, I'd have lost some money due to me.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2335&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
marky No.1

Return to General Discussion