Slight Technical Issue

Slight Technical Issue

Postby Morecambe Player » Tue May 25, 2010 5:41 pm

I visit various different discussion forums, and when I click on a link to another site on those forums, it generally opens up either a new browser window or a new tab (I use Google Chrome or IE) However, on SV, the link always replaces the SV page. So I usually have to right click the link and open in new tab or new window.

Is there a setting whereby I don't have to do this, and is it the same for everyone, or is it just me?
Morecambe Player

Re: Slight Technical Issue

Postby Crooky MFC » Tue May 25, 2010 5:46 pm

Morecambe Player wrote:I visit various different discussion forums, and when I click on a link to another site on those forums, it generally opens up either a new browser window or a new tab (I use Google Chrome or IE) However, on SV, the link always replaces the SV page. So I usually have to right click the link and open in new tab or new window.

Is there a setting whereby I don't have to do this, and is it the same for everyone, or is it just me?

I have the same problem. It's really annoying, especially when a link to youtube is posted on here and I want to share it with my friends (I cant copy the link because it just has the shrimpsvoices website at the top)
Crooky MFC

Postby marky » Tue May 25, 2010 5:52 pm

It's the same for everyone - Keith would have the change the settings and I'm not sure this version of the board software allows for it.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby heysham_mfc » Tue May 25, 2010 6:13 pm

it can be a bit annoying when you click on a link then have to go back to SV
heysham_mfc

Postby Gnasher » Tue May 25, 2010 6:16 pm

There is no setting I am aware of in this forum software that enables links to automatically open in a new window. However, if you have a wheel on your mouse then try clicking a link by clicking on it with the wheel. Works every time on every web site.
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby heysham_mfc » Tue May 25, 2010 6:19 pm

Gnasher wrote:There is no setting I am aware of in this forum software that enables links to automatically open in a new window. However, if you have a wheel on your mouse then try clicking a link by clicking on it with the wheel. Works every time on every web site.

thanks for that ;)
heysham_mfc

Postby Keith » Tue May 25, 2010 6:30 pm

As previously mentioned, this version of the board won't allow a single click to open in a new window. Right click>Open new window/tab is quickest.

The www.shrimpsvoices.co.uk 'masking' is either on or off. Without it there is the full... viewforum.php?f=1
...type of URL.

Sorry, it can't do everything, it's all a compromise.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Posh » Tue May 25, 2010 8:59 pm

I've tried to explain this previously but the domain is incorrectly setup. The site doesn't run on the shrimpsvoices.co.uk domain but instead on ttpics.co.uk/shrimpsvoices. If you set your bookmarks to run on this domain then web addresses all open correctly but notin a new window. One day I'll get one of our developers to explain it all so we can resolve it once and for all because it buggers up some of the functions like View Active Topics and stops SEO working as Googlebots only see one page.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Keith » Tue May 25, 2010 10:06 pm

Posh wrote:I've tried to explain this previously but the domain is incorrectly setup. The site doesn't run on the shrimpsvoices.co.uk domain but instead on ttpics.co.uk/shrimpsvoices. If you set your bookmarks to run on this domain then web addresses all open correctly but notin a new window. One day I'll get one of our developers to explain it all so we can resolve it once and for all because it buggers up some of the functions like View Active Topics and stops SEO working as Googlebots only see one page.

As I recall, you explained it was set up incorrectly, but didn't explain how it could be set up differently! :geek:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Posh » Tue May 25, 2010 10:36 pm

Keith wrote:
Posh wrote:I've tried to explain this previously but the domain is incorrectly setup. The site doesn't run on the shrimpsvoices.co.uk domain but instead on ttpics.co.uk/shrimpsvoices. If you set your bookmarks to run on this domain then web addresses all open correctly but notin a new window. One day I'll get one of our developers to explain it all so we can resolve it once and for all because it buggers up some of the functions like View Active Topics and stops SEO working as Googlebots only see one page.

As I recall, you explained it was set up incorrectly, but didn't explain how it could be set up differently! :geek:

I keep forgetting. I've got the site to work for me so never see the problem until someone mentions it. Will look at it tomorrow if I remember.

Sorry No Tail not a criticism.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Keith » Wed May 26, 2010 9:34 am

With the www.shrimpsvoices.com there is no masking at all, it shows the www.ttpics.co.uk/shrimpsvoices...

Perhaps that's the answer? If you want the functions (still no automatically opening in a new window) go to www.shrimpsvoices.com If you like a tidy URL stick with www.shrimpsvoices.co.uk and click 'General Discussion' to return to a refreshed menu page.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby scar » Wed May 26, 2010 10:01 am

Would it be possible to include in the style sheet for links within forum posts to open in a new window when clicked?

This may help or may not?
http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/links-o ... d74ac49906
scar

Postby Keith » Wed May 26, 2010 10:14 am

scar wrote:Would it be possible to include in the style sheet for links within forum posts to open in a new window when clicked?

Thank you for your advice & support... but you realise I have a life outside of Shrimpsvoices?!?!? :lol: :lol: :lol: Right Click>Open in New Tab or me faff around, probably break it, spend hours fixing it again so that people can go Left Click instead??? :? :shock:

Keith
Site Admin

Postby scar » Wed May 26, 2010 10:30 am

Keith wrote:
scar wrote:Would it be possible to include in the style sheet for links within forum posts to open in a new window when clicked?

Thank you for your advice & support... but you realise I have a life outside of Shrimpsvoices?!?!? :lol: :lol: :lol: Right Click>Open in New Tab or me faff around, probably break it, spend hours fixing it again so that people can go Left Click instead??? :? :shock:

You mean to tell me that your not devoting your every waking moment to Shrimpsvoices :o :o I'm nearly as shocked as a lib-Dem supporter ;) :lol:
scar

Postby Duffman » Wed May 26, 2010 10:37 am

Firstly, those who use shrimpsvoices.co.uk are viewing the forum in a frame. If you view source on the shrimpsvoices domain, the src for the frame is ttpics.co.uk/shrimpsvoices which explains why the title of the page never changes, even when you click on links to say the BBC, the title still says shrimpsvoices.

Secondly, you could add a javascript function to the head of your document which scans the page for links which do not match current domain. Any links that don't start with ttpics.co.uk would be deemed external and target="_blank" will be added to the anchor tag.

Code: Select all
this.blankwin = function(){
   var hostname = window.location.hostname;
   hostname = hostname.replace("www.","").toLowerCase();
   var a = document.getElementsByTagName("a");   
   this.check = function(obj){
      var href = obj.href.toLowerCase();
      return (href.indexOf("http://")!=-1 && href.indexOf(hostname)==-1) ? true : false;            
   };
   this.set = function(obj){
      obj.target = "_blank";
   };   
   for (var i=0;i<a.length;i++){
      if(check(a[i])) set(a[i]);
   };      
};

I think for this to work for shrimpsvoices.co.uk users however, the (bizarre) issue of the forum being delivered in a frame would have to be resolved first as every link may be seen as external.
Duffman

Return to General Discussion