We just can't defend

Re: We just can't defend

Postby marky » Wed May 19, 2010 8:02 pm

I think most fans would have accepted a run-of-the-mill defeat. There would have been disappointment, but we would still have had a good chance tomorrow night given our home record. What we got was possibly the worst collective performance since Sammy took over and the worst defeat any team has ever suffered in a play-off match. The players let everyone down, but I don't think the tactics OR the team were right and Sammy obviously has to take some blame for that. I've already said this in another thread, but all (or nearly all) Morecambe fans know we've had a very good season overall. Indeed, I don't believe a single person will be disappointed to finish 4th. The players and management received a fantastic response after the Aldershot match. They will probably get one tomorrow night. But he can't honestly expect people not to voice their disappointment after a 6-0 defeat.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Re: We just can't defend

Postby HALMA 1983 » Thu May 20, 2010 6:26 am

Keith wrote:
Christies Child wrote:And for what it's worth have a look at those who have been questioning the tactics...

...and I think that is what is most annoying and upsetting about the comments made on the radio today. Anyone who has written anything even slightly negative will feel that they are being attacked. I've just spoken to someone who phoned me up about this public attack on Morecambe fans, who was amazed and annoyed by it.

I'm guessing that the manager would expect that the message board be closed down after every defeat and only be re-opened after a win so that only nice things are ever posted?

I'm also guessing that the manager believes that his tactics on Sunday were spot on? He's said the players let him and themselves down, but no mention of his own part? So the players were at fault on Sunday and any fans who weren't happy following the 6-0 defeat should stay away tomorrow? But setting up with a defensive line up rather than playing the way we have during our good run had nothing to do with the defeat?

Incidentally, the 'sky high expectations' remember, were against Dagenham & Redbridge, a team that have similar (or even lower) budget than us and were non-league the same season as us. Dagenham stuffed us six-nil. With that result, I'm amazed at how positive this forum has been since then. No 'over the top' slagging off of the management or players, simply a gentle discussion of what people thought went wrong, an acceptance that we're all but out of the play offs and a 'look forward' to tomorrow as a farewell party. I didn't post straight away when I first heard the interview because I was pissed off by it. I have now because this has left a bitter taste in the mouth.

And if that puts me in to a group that he'd rather "stay away" tomorrow night... tough!

Great post Keith and definately no sitting on the fence!

I salute you sir ;)
HALMA 1983

Previous

Return to General Discussion