Bradford Fire Disaster

Postby Mark S » Tue May 11, 2010 5:40 am

25 years ago today.

A sad day that will never be repeated.

We should never forget the lessons of the past. :cry:
Mark S

Re: Bradford Fire Disaster

Postby Keith » Tue May 11, 2010 6:41 am

When people complain about "Health & Safety" they forget incidents like this, where 54 people (53 Bradford fans & 1 Lincoln fan) went to watch a football match and didn't return home because of a totally avoidable disaster, but 25 years ago we just 'took our chances'.

The following video is still distressing a quarter of a century later and it is still amazing seeing how fast the fire spread, from a discarded cigarette to the entire stand ablaze was a matter of a few minutes. WARNING: This is the match commentary, filmed at the time and may be upsetting to some people. For those too young to remember this occurring, the film will show just how quickly lives can be turned upside-down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2ic9_0oEWg

Never forget
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby George Dawes » Tue May 11, 2010 9:39 am

scary how fast it spreads

although i thought at the time the main problem was that instead of running onto the pitch some people ran towards the back of the stand to the fire exits where some of them where padlocked?
George Dawes

Postby Keith » Tue May 11, 2010 10:45 am

It was certainly 'one of' the problems, I'm not sure it was 'the' problem. As with many disasters, it was a combination of circumstances, any of which could have been removed or should have been foreseen. Padlocked exits were one of the main causes of death at the Summerland tragedy here on the Isle of Man in 1973. There was a corridor that lead to a fire exit. When people found the doors locked, they couldn't turn back due to the pressure of people behind them. 50 people died in this blaze and it remains the worst loss of life in an 'enclosed' British building since the war.

A Radio Lancashire programme about that incident.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/lancashire/ram/200 ... erland.ram
A 'glow' in the sky was actually visible from Morecambe Promenade that evening.
Lessons could have been learned.

Apparently Bradford fire brigade had already warned the club regarding the accumulation of combustible debris but the warning wasn't acted upon. Smoking in a wooden structure. Even the fact that stewards weren't trained in evacuation procedures as they are now. Despite the fact that people escaped the Bradford fire by going on to the pitch, it took another massive loss of life before cages were removed and this became a part of the evacuation plan.

If I'm staying in a hotel, I always walk to the fire exit before I settle down for the evening so that in my mind, I always have two exits without thinking about it. Having your own plan can make all the difference, be that in a night club, concert, a football match or even on an aircraft.

Individually we can learn from other people's tragedy.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Seasider9601 » Tue May 11, 2010 6:35 pm

Mark S wrote:25 years ago today.

A sad day that will never be repeated.

We should never forget the lessons of the past. :cry:

Which also means Mark it is 25 years to the day since I saw my first ever Morecambe match. Morecambe Reserves v. Everton "A".

I attended that game with my dad, and on leaving the Main Stand we both commented (totally, totally unaware of what was happening at Bradford City) how dangerous the scaffolding steps were which got you access back then to our seating area. We both said how we wouldn't want to exit down those in a hurry.

We then got back home to Carnforth and watched those tragic events unfold before our very eyes on World Of Sport. Horrifying images which stayed with me for a very long time.

Thoughts today with the people of Bradford.

Martin
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Return to General Discussion