Your Club - View from A Grimsby fan

Your Club - View from A Grimsby fan

Postby Grimsby » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:43 pm

Hello to everyone,

First of all I want to thank you for a good day out yesterday, shame about the result (for us) a draw for us nowadays feels like a loss. Good game of football but this post isnt about the match as such.

The surrounding areas of the ground were fit for a postcard and is a perfect example of how a classic old city can be made modern and work well.

Your local pub The Hotel (I think) was a credit to your club, friendly atmosphere, nice helpful doorman and on a whole looked like a well run family pub, just like they should be. The lack of takeaways out the ground was abit of a let down and that chip shop on the high street closing at 1:30 pissed me off abit but ill let you off. The food in the ground made up for this, £2.50 for a pie, pies and bucket of gravy was great value and filled a big hole.

Regarding the ground, I dont want to be to critically but there is a fine line between an old-fashioned traditional stadium and a tin shed, that line for you is very thin. I hope you dont see this as a dig at you but more of an observation, sorry !

The stewards very great, up for of a laugh and controller things well, looked like they were happy to be serving your club. Looked profession and you could tell they were experienced doormen, which is sensible unlike our lot who just employ the fattiest people they can find and hope they look scary.

The main thing that impressed me about you, was your PR department. Everything was sponsored and genially seem to be on top of things regarding your income. From experience this is the one thing that can make or break your club and unfortunately ours is nearly beyond re-pare.

Overall I think you have a team and club to be proud of, and I genuinely expect you to have a season in League one in the next few years.

Good luck with rest of the season and the new stadium.

Thanks
Grimsby fan
Grimsby

Re: Your Club - View from A Grimsby fan

Postby shrimper » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:58 pm

Grimsby wrote:Hello to everyone,

First of all I want to thank you for a good day out yesterday, shame about the result (for us) a draw for us nowadays feels like a loss. Good game of football but this post isnt about the match as such.

The surrounding areas of the ground were fit for a postcard and is a perfect example of how a classic old city can be made modern and work well.

Your local pub The Hotel (I think) was a credit to your club, friendly atmosphere, nice helpful doorman and on a whole looked like a well run family pub, just like they should be. The lack of takeaways out the ground was abit of a let down and that chip shop on the high street closing at 1:30 pissed me off abit but ill let you off. The food in the ground made up for this, £2.50 for a pie, pies and bucket of gravy was great value and filled a big hole.

Regarding the ground, I dont want to be to critically but there is a fine line between an old-fashioned traditional stadium and a tin shed, that line for you is very thin. I hope you dont see this as a dig at you but more of an observation, sorry !

The stewards very great, up for of a laugh and controller things well, looked like they were happy to be serving your club. Looked profession and you could tell they were experienced doormen, which is sensible unlike our lot who just employ the fattiest people they can find and hope they look scary.

The main thing that impressed me about you, was your PR department. Everything was sponsored and genially seem to be on top of things regarding your income. From experience this is the one thing that can make or break your club and unfortunately ours is nearly beyond re-pare.

Overall I think you have a team and club to be proud of, and I genuinely expect you to have a season in League one in the next few years.

Good luck with rest of the season and the new stadium.

Thanks
Grimsby fan

The (excellent) one at the away end usually stays open until match kick-off time - if it's that's one you're on about I'm very surprised.
As for the ground - it's not had a great deal spent on it in recent years because of the plan to move.

Otherwise thanks for your comments and good luck for the rest of the season.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:00 pm

That seems a pretty fair assessment.

The old ground is tired and looks what it has been for the last 89 years , a non-league ground.

I think you must have been to Harrys Chippy about 300 yards from the ground, the one right by the away end looked open when I arrived around 2-40

Good luck in the fight against the drop, Burton didnt help you much yesterday.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Grimsby » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:10 pm

Yeah, it was the up the road near a few other shops.
I saw that one just round corner on the way out, didnt notice it before the game.
Grimsby

Postby darrenlock » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:03 pm

Grimbo.

How many games have you drawn recently i got told it was 1 win out of 25 and many of those games where when you let late goals in.

Sorry but after Cheltenham win i think they will be safe and Lincoin and Torquay will be scrapping it out in bottom 3-4
darrenlock

Return to General Discussion