O/T - I've not got lost yet

O/T - I've not got lost yet

Postby Plain Peter » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:39 am

Just thought I'd put in a few words of reassurance 8-)
If you want to open your atlas up at the right page, then me and Doris are about 150 miles south-east of Mandalay at a place called Inle Lake.
Apart from 4 nights in a plush hotel in Yangon (Rangoon) we've been dossing in budget hotels, and travelling in a beat-up 20 year old Toyota Sprinter 1.5, which we hired complete with driver/guide. Madame Bucket hasn't been too amused at times!
The roads are damn awful with the odd exception, and the Road to Mandalay from the historical archaeological sights of Bagan, a mere 5 hours, was downright prehistoric.
The locals are mad keen on the Premier League, and whenever I wear my Shrimps shirt ( every other day) I get some quizzical comments. So half the population must have been educated by now.
My Pompey shirt goes down a treat though.
Hiring a bike tomorrow to go and sample some hot-springs, and on Monday we've got a long-tail boat for 8 hours. Will Doris still be speaking to me at the end of it :lol:
Back in Yangon on Thursday, and on Friday fly to Phnom Penh (via Bangkok).

Rock-on
Plain Peter

Re: O/T - I've not got lost yet

Postby Burnley Shrimp » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:21 am

You just don't do package holidays do you! :lol:

Does Doris actually enjoy these British Expeditionary Force style journeys or does she have no choice?

One travel tip for you. Don't try any of the boat trips on offer, sailing off the coast of Somalia!

I enjoy reading your tales from far flung corners I bet you could write a book by now!

All the best.
Burnley Shrimp

Postby John L » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:00 am

There you go.... that's what the club's doing wrong all these years.... missing out on the Burmese niche market! Next season, we could fit 10,000 into our new ground if you keep up the good work, Peter! :lol:
John L

Postby Plain Peter » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:45 am

Burnley Shrimp wrote:You just don't do package holidays do you! :lol:

I do it to give Keith the urge to go one better :lol: . Eastern Turkey in June. I found a shop in Istanbul last November that sells cheap AK40s.

Burnley Shrimp wrote:Does Doris actually enjoy these British Expeditionary Force style journeys or does she have no choice?

She loves it. She's sat in the corner of this little sanctuary mopping her brow as I tap away.

Burnley Shrimp wrote:One travel tip for you. Don't try any of the boat trips on offer, sailing off the coast of Somalia!

After 22 years in the RN I don't do cruises no more. My baseball cap has got Knackered Sailor on the front just to remind me.

Burnley Shrimp wrote:I enjoy reading your tales from far flung corners I bet you could write a book by now!

You might regret that. When I get home I'll send you a link to a whole lot of scribble I put on Trip Advisor recently about how to do Istanbul on a Shoestring. Part of the enjoyment of these far flung jaunts is keeping a daily diary, and then being able to share your experience with other like minded souls on travel websites. It's easy for me cos Doris takes all the notes, while I enjoy the scenery ;) .

This would be a good place for Hodgie to try for a while. He'd soon get out of the habit of falling over in McDonalds.
Plain Peter

Postby Burnley Shrimp » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:18 pm

Some of the places you venture too I guess a cheap AK40 might come in handy now and again. :lol: His and hers AK40's. Could you trust Doris with one or might you end up a victim of friendly fire :shock:
Burnley Shrimp

Postby Keith » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:43 pm

Peter wrote:...the Road to Mandalay

Ah yes, made famous by Robbie Williams...

Photos Peter? PHOTOS!

What's your Trip Advisor name?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Plain Peter » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:10 am

Burnley Shrimp wrote:Some of the places you venture too I guess a cheap AK40 might come in handy now and again. :lol: His and hers AK40's. Could you trust Doris with one or might you end up a victim of friendly fire :shock:

When we lived in Saudi we went local, and I always walked a few paces in front.
That is quite normal in the muslim world.
An exception is in Kuwait, when after all them roadside mines were laid during the 1st Gulf War it became far safer to let your wife walk a few paces in front of you.
I'll definately be following the Kuwaiti line when we get to Phnom Penh on Friday afternoon :)
Plain Peter

Postby Plain Peter » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:13 am

Keith wrote:
Photos Peter? PHOTOS!

What's your Trip Advisor name?

I've got loads of photos, but I get brainstormed when it comes to uploading them onto a forum or website.

Trip Advisor name is LancasterLad
Plain Peter

Postby durhamshrimp » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:14 am

Give it a couple of weeks and the shrimps will be higher up the football pyramid than pompey.
durhamshrimp

Postby Burnley Shrimp » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:43 am

Peter wrote:
Burnley Shrimp wrote:Some of the places you venture too I guess a cheap AK40 might come in handy now and again. :lol: His and hers AK40's. Could you trust Doris with one or might you end up a victim of friendly fire :shock:

When we lived in Saudi we went local, and I always walked a few paces in front.
That is quite normal in the muslim world.
An exception is in Kuwait, when after all them roadside mines were laid during the 1st Gulf War it became far safer to let your wife walk a few paces in front of you.
I'll definately be following the Kuwaiti line when we get to Phnom Penh on Friday afternoon :)

:lol: Very wise. I trust you are gentleman enough to provide Doris with one of those hand held mine sweeper thingys whilst she's clearing a path through the minefield? (At a safe distance ahead of you of course).
Burnley Shrimp

Return to General Discussion