flood lit cup

flood lit cup

Postby meatpie » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:26 pm

Whilst watching the final evening game at christie (and what a fitting game it was ) I recalled my father taking me to christie for the first time for what he called the flood lit cup and as Morecambe had some and lancaster did not he reckoned it might be a novel way of spending the evening. Do any of our older readers remember if there was such a thing, it would have been in the sixites or is it just a mixed up memory
meatpie

Re: flood lit cup

Postby Nerso (CTFC) » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:30 pm

I certainly remember the "floodlit cup" in the mid 80's.

Midweek games in the cold with about 200 fans.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Nerso (CTFC)

Postby Richard Head » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:43 am

meatpie wrote:Whilst watching the final evening game at christie (and what a fitting game it was ) I recalled my father taking me to christie for the first time for what he called the flood lit cup and as Morecambe had some and lancaster did not he reckoned it might be a novel way of spending the evening. Do any of our older readers remember if there was such a thing, it would have been in the sixites or is it just a mixed up memory

I think it was called the Lancashire Floodlit Cup. One of my earliest memories of an away game is a floodlit cup tie at South Liverpool which i think we won 1-0.
Richard Head

Postby Mighty Red » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:47 am

I remember going to Morecambe's first home match under floodlights. I couldn't see the need for night matches and didn't like the floodlights one bit.
Mind you, it was better than having different kick off times in winter - afternoon games had to finish before it got too dark.
Mighty Red

Postby Keith » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:11 pm

Nerso (CTFC) wrote:I certainly remember the "floodlit cup" in the mid 80's.

Midweek games in the cold with about 200 fans.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sponsored by Lakeland Soft Drinks! 200 fans??? you're mixing it up with a league match! :lol: :lol:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Jack Poulton » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:36 pm

I remember the Floodlit Cup in the 60's and think Lancaster did play their games at Christie Park as they had no floodlights. From memory clubs from the Lancs Combination (Morecambe's and Lancaster's league) and the Cheshire league (which had Altrincham and Wigan) participated. I remember standing in the pouring rain at Wigan's old ground with a hardy bunch watching us get tonked 4 - 0. At the time we were the best in the Combination and they were best in the Cheshire league, but they always beat us.
Jack Poulton

Postby meatpie » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:51 pm

I googled flood lit cup and the Altingham site does give some information unfortunatly as I am old enough to remember the cup in the sixties I am also too old to Know how to put a link on the posting!But some great memories,Thanks.
meatpie

Postby quinny » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:02 pm

Don't forget if any of you would like to send me your memories (400 words) for the book on Christie Park then please PM me.
Ta
Quinny
quinny

Postby Jack Poulton » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:49 pm

The grey matter is working now. There was one season (think it may have been the year we won the Senior Cup) when there was a major fixture pile up so the reserve team was put out for the Floodlit Cup games. I remember they beat Lancaster at Christie (good bragging rights) and if my memory serves me correctly, went on to lift the cup, but I may be wrong, as I can't recall any of the other games. Attendances for the games were at first team levels so a pretty good season.
Jack Poulton

Return to General Discussion