Accrington 3 Morecambe 2 Artell (2) F/T

Re: Accrington 3 Morecambe 2 Artell (2) F/T

Postby parkyboy » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:07 pm

Why was hunter on bench yet again when he is our engine room in midfield where he was missed today and Twiss did not deserve to be left out
parkyboy

Postby Vinny » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:01 pm

I agree, I thought Twiss, Hunter and Jimbo should have all started and even Danny Adams may have given us some more grit in defence.

It was quite a good game, until the last 10 mins when Accy looked liked they'd score every time they pushed forward. Artell was oddly in the strikers position when Wainwrights great low cross came in and with a deft glancing touch of a striker put us 1 up. We had started well and desreved the lead. It was disappointing we then soon conceed and you could the writing on the wall. Jevons doesn't look interested anymore, or just isolated and frustrated and wasn't strong enough to go by himself. Accy soon picked up their usual hard work rate and they wanted the ball and won the ball more than us. We seemed clumsy, slow to pass and frequently didn't find a player with a pass. Wilson was unfortunate to get booked as it was more as a result of the ref being conned by cheating theatrics. There was nothing wrong with their player a minute later when he deliberately took a retribution kick at Wilson and was only shown a yellow. Barry Roche made several great saves. It was a surprise when we took the lead again and things looked good for a bit. But then they got a free-kick outside the box. 4 in the wall, a gap and Haining. I think Barry was expecting a curler over the wall, but a kick through the gaping gap and an easy soft goal :oops: Sammy made a couple of belated subs, as did Accy and their tails were up, suddenly brimming with youthful energy and they got their volley goal to win it.

I said it last week, Duffy was a waste of space and did nothing. Gary Hunter was brought on but too late to get into the game, should have started in place of Duffy. Manny Panther did ok, but hasn't returned to full form yet. Even though Artell scored 2, I'd replace him for Jimbo. Too late. 3 points lost as we all expected.
Bring me sunshine, in your smile.
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Vinny

Postby heysham_mfc » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:07 pm

dissapointed not to get anything today was at the game and thought that we should have taken a least a point. Accringtons second goal should not have been from the free kick it wasnt a foul dirty stanley again as we saw on boxing day esp when their lad went down like he had been shot!!! can't complain about the winner though very well taken goal from JR. and what was what was with the bog roll!! :lol:
heysham_mfc

Postby maccawozzagod » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:37 pm

your second goal was absolutley never a free kick neither!!

can't remember the strikers name but the free kick was pants, it bounced just in front of the striker who air kicked nothing and sent everyone the wrong way!!!

It really wasnt a free kick though. Th ref was terrible and missed an absolute cart load of stuff that went all over the pitch.. it still makes me laugh that we are 'dirty Stanley' as your lot were by far the dirtier team today. Two challenges were close to career endign challenges!
maccawozzagod

Postby mfcbro » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:59 pm

I went today and was confused by the team selection.Why play Panther instead of Hunter,why Jevons up front on his own,defo not a target man,and i thought bringing twiss on was diabolical,not up for it.We went 1 up and then 2-1 up why not bring Bentley on and go 5 at the back,ok they might have got one back but not two.Totally disappointed.Changes have to be made i.m.o
mfcbro

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:39 pm

mfcbro wrote:I went today and was confused by the team selection.Why play Panther instead of Hunter,why Jevons up front on his own,defo not a target man,and i thought bringing twiss on was diabolical,not up for it.We went 1 up and then 2-1 up why not bring Bentley on and go 5 at the back,ok they might have got one back but not two.Totally disappointed.Changes have to be made i.m.o

I thought Twissy did well when he came on.

Manny Panther didnt look fully fit and was dispossessed a few times.

If Mullin wasn't fit to start then Curtis should have partnered Jevons as he was too isolated.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Martin » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:20 pm

Vinny wrote:I agree, I thought Twiss, Hunter and Jimbo should have all started and even Danny Adams may have given us some more grit in defence.

It was quite a good game, until the last 10 mins when Accy looked liked they'd score every time they pushed forward. Artell was oddly in the strikers position when Wainwrights great low cross came in and with a deft glancing touch of a striker put us 1 up. We had started well and desreved the lead. It was disappointing we then soon conceed and you could the writing on the wall. Jevons doesn't look interested anymore, or just isolated and frustrated and wasn't strong enough to go by himself. Accy soon picked up their usual hard work rate and they wanted the ball and won the ball more than us. We seemed clumsy, slow to pass and frequently didn't find a player with a pass. Wilson was unfortunate to get booked as it was more as a result of the ref being conned by cheating theatrics. There was nothing wrong with their player a minute later when he deliberately took a retribution kick at Wilson and was only shown a yellow. Barry Roche made several great saves. It was a surprise when we took the lead again and things looked good for a bit. But then they got a free-kick outside the box. 4 in the wall, a gap and Haining. I think Barry was expecting a curler over the wall, but a kick through the gaping gap and an easy soft goal :oops: Sammy made a couple of belated subs, as did Accy and their tails were up, suddenly brimming with youthful energy and they got their volley goal to win it.

I said it last week, Duffy was a waste of space and did nothing. Gary Hunter was brought on but too late to get into the game, should have started in place of Duffy. Manny Panther did ok, but hasn't returned to full form yet. Even though Artell scored 2, I'd replace him for Jimbo. Too late. 3 points lost as we all expected.

Pretty much spot on. We looked like getting something from the game at one point, but then it all went pretty much to type for this fixture.

maccawozzagod wrote:your second goal was absolutley never a free kick neither!!

can't remember the strikers name but the free kick was pants, it bounced just in front of the striker who air kicked nothing and sent everyone the wrong way!!!

It really wasnt a free kick though. Th ref was terrible and missed an absolute cart load of stuff that went all over the pitch.. it still makes me laugh that we are 'dirty Stanley' as your lot were by far the dirtier team today. Two challenges were close to career endign challenges!

Good grief, you won the game and still complain about one of our goals! As for dirtier team? well I think Sammy tried to fight fire with fire this time; unfortuntately, for us it didn't work. Career ending challenges? I think there were some pretty nasty ones on Jevons at Christie Park a few weeks ago!
Martin

Postby Burnley Shrimp » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:34 am

Roche:- Usual solid game. Saved us a few times and not a lot he could do about goals 2 and 3.

Wilson:- Good game. Showed more of his old zip following suspension and the lay off. Worryingly booked yet again. 3 in 3 and another suspension looms.

Haining:- Very solid as per usual.

Artell:- Superb for me. He's getting forward and proving a real threat for defences to think about and being reasonably solid in defence. Sorry Jimbo you'll have to wait for your place back.

Parrish:- Did what he had to. He has developed from last season and is worth his place.

Stanley:- Just OK. Never really stands out in the middle for me and yesterday was no exception.

Panther:- Looked like a player coming back from serious injury i.e. just a touch off the pace in a blood and thunder game. However he'll be a real asset shortly.

Drummond:- Not as spritely as he once was but Mr Dependable. Solid battling performance.

Waiwright:- Very good first half, combining well with Wilson down the left. Maybe tired a little later.

Jevons:- Has he fully recovered from injury?? Looked off the pace yesterday as he has for the last 4 games now.

Duffy:- Not enough pace or trickery to beat a man at this level and it showed yesterday.

Twiss:- A flickering flame nowadays. Used to burn bright but that is seen only occasionaly now.

Mullin:- Huffed and puffed but no real product. Probably best played as a foil for a fully fit Jevons.

Hunter:- Player of the first half of the season for me but looked off the pace yesterday on his comeback from injury. Understandable.
Burnley Shrimp

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:27 pm

Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby james456 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:17 pm

Roche - 7. A solid game and he made a few good saves.
Wilson - 6. A fairly good performance, pushed forward a bit more than in recent games and got stuck in although booked again which is frustrating.
Haining - 6. A solid performance and you can't say he made any major errors.
Artell - 7. My MoM. A couple of mistakes but mostly solid and of course two goals from defence.
Parrish - 6. A decent performance all in all.
Wainwright - 6. His trickery on the wing in the first half was our only true attacking threat in the entire game I thought. In the second half he may have tired but I thought he just didn't get enough of the ball once Accy started closing us down and prevented us from playing.
Stanley - 5. Wasn't bad but didn't make enough of an impact for me.
Panther - 5. Worked hard enough but didn't look very sharp and of course several passes went astray.
Drummond - 5. Wasn't bad but this wasn't his kind of game IMO.
Duffy - 5. Again, it wasn't his kind of game but he still disappointed a bit yesterday.
Jevons - 5. It wasn't a good performance but I put it down entirely to the tactics. Jevons is a target man and will not perform well as a lone striker - especially when the only service he is getting are hopeful hoofs in the air. Play him with Mullin in a passing game and he will swiftly return to form IMO.
james456

Postby George Dawes » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:28 pm

james456 wrote:Jevons - 5. It wasn't a good performance but I put it down entirely to the tactics. Jevons is a target man and will not perform well as a lone striker - especially when the only service he is getting are hopeful hoofs in the air. Play him with Mullin in a passing game and he will swiftly return to form IMO.

good shout!
George Dawes

Postby Crooky MFC » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:56 pm

I again don't understand why we started with only Jevons upfront. Fair enough if Mullin is not fit then he can't start, but the Mullin & Jevons partnership was ripping defences apart a month or so ago. Also, why has Hunter been dropped. He was one of the best, if not one of our best players when we were on that 8 winning run, I can't get my head around it. :?
Crooky MFC

Postby parceldave » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:57 pm

Vinny wrote:I agree, I thought Twiss, Hunter and Jimbo should have all started and even Danny Adams may have given us some more grit in defence.

It was quite a good game, until the last 10 mins when Accy looked liked they'd score every time they pushed forward. Artell was oddly in the strikers position when Wainwrights great low cross came in and with a deft glancing touch of a striker put us 1 up. We had started well and deserved the lead. It was disappointing we then soon concede and you could the writing on the wall. Jevons doesn't look interested anymore, or just isolated and frustrated and wasn't strong enough to go by himself. Accy soon picked up their usual hard work rate and they wanted the ball and won the ball more than us. We seemed clumsy, slow to pass and frequently didn't find a player with a pass. Wilson was unfortunate to get booked as it was more as a result of the ref being conned by cheating theatrics. There was nothing wrong with their player a minute later when he deliberately took a retribution kick at Wilson and was only shown a yellow. Barry Roche made several great saves. It was a surprise when we took the lead again and things looked good for a bit. But then they got a free-kick outside the box. 4 in the wall, a gap and Haining. I think Barry was expecting a curler over the wall, but a kick through the gaping gap and an easy soft goal :oops: Sammy made a couple of belated subs, as did Accy and their tails were up, suddenly brimming with youthful energy and they got their volley goal to win it.

Pretty good assessment, i too thought Jimbo and Gunter would have played yesterday. I think the midfield is where the problem lies, no protection in front of the back 4 and no pace when going forward , if we want the best out of Jevons then we need to put the ball at his feet and not at waist height all the time with his back to goal, and if he's up front on his own which is rare i know , then he needs support ;) .Although Artell has had a good run we don't look as comfortable at the back as we were a few weeks ago and I think Jimbo's vocal and physical presence wouldn't go a miss. As someone else said , Gunter has been our engine room so far this season and i thought he was just suspended for 1 game not injured :?: It would be nice to see Roachey have another lazy day like he had against Bournemouth
and give his opposite number some work to do for a change, unlike yesterday . :o
parceldave

Postby Keith » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:44 pm

If Mullen isn't fit enough for a full match, I'd like to see Curtis & Jevons together up front. At least then there is an 'out' to play a long ball to when needed. I think Jevons would work well of Curtis.

I'm assuming that Hunter is still not fit, otherwise I don't understand what he needs to do to be first choice in midfield?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby George Dawes » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:13 am

if there's one thing we can all agree on, it's that Jevons cant play upfront as a target man on his own..
George Dawes

Postby campdave » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:06 am

DawZi wrote:if there's one thing we can all agree on, it's that Jevons cant play upfront as a target man on his own..

Certainly agree - he was very isolated against Chesterfield too I though. Seems tactically duff to have such a natural finisher in the side and expect him to play with his back to goal holding up the ball.
campdave

Postby Christies Child » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:12 am

It's not the first time, nor will it be the last, when in our opinion both tactics and team selection are questioned.

It happens at nearly every football club and t'internet has encouraged more and more of us to become 'armchair managers'....in particular those like me who haven't really got a clue!

BUT with regards to the ridiculous situation of Jevons playing as a lone striker, we ALL seem to agree. So maybe this time it's the management that have got it wrong. :?: :?: :?:

The Jevons / Mullin partnership was working well before injuries kicked in. The sooner we get back to the way it was with one feeding of the other, the better. Unfortunately neither can play as a loan striker.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby campdave » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:19 am

Christies Child wrote: Unfortunately neither can play as a loan striker.

Jevons already is. Boom! I'm here all week.
campdave

Postby Christies Child » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:21 am

campdave wrote:
Christies Child wrote: Unfortunately neither can play as a loan striker.

Jevons already is. Boom! I'm here all week.

I knew when I rit it that some smart arse would pick it up.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice one CD!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:38 pm

Lancashire evening Post match report :-

http://www.lep.co.uk/morecambe-fc/Accri ... 6051302.jp
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby shrimper » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:49 pm

mfcbro wrote:I went today and was confused by the team selection.Why play Panther instead of Hunter,why Jevons up front on his own,defo not a target man,and i thought bringing twiss on was diabolical,not up for it.We went 1 up and then 2-1 up why not bring Bentley on and go 5 at the back,ok they might have got one back but not two.Totally disappointed.Changes have to be made i.m.o

I didn't see it as a choice between those two, to be honest. They play different roles. I saw it as a choice between Hunter and Duffy on the right, with Panther sitting behind the more forward midfielders.

I think the formation was okay on Saturday, though I'd have chosen different players to start.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Previous

Return to General Discussion