Cautioned for celebrating

Cautioned for celebrating

Postby Crooky MFC » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:42 pm

As we've seen today, Mark Duffy got booked for taking his shirt off in celebration, what are your thoughts on this? Also, a Portsmouth player equalized in the 93rd minute today, had already been booked and was consequentley sent off for taking his shirt off.

IMO this is all abit silly, surely if you score a goal you should be able to celebrate in whatever style you want, providing your not jumping into the crowd!
Crooky MFC

Re: Cautioned for celebrating

Postby RedRedWine1 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:11 am

Firstly, what a great goal. Sammy has had the luxury of bringing Duffy on for the last 15 minutes of games recently which I quite like to see. Duffy has made a contribution each time he has come on from the bench, and will be gaining no end of confidence.

I always feel that it is a harsh booking, but it is in the rules. If you bring down an attacker in a goalscoring position and you're the last defender it's an automatic red card. Take off your shirt after scoring a goal and it's a booking. In certain situations I'd like to see a referee have a bit of common sense. At 5-0 the game is over, Duffy could not contain his excitement at scoring such a wonderful goal (despite knowing the rules), he clearly hadn't taken his shirt off to delay the game which is what I assume the punishment is supposed to be for. It is tough for referees, it is hard to show common sense when in the same breath people call for consistency, and career progression is dependent upon an accessor in the stand ticking boxes with a rule book on his lap.
RedRedWine1

Postby bigreddog » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:57 am

Like all of these issues there are more than just one view on it. From the refs view: the players know the rules now and shouldn't be so thick and they've been told by the governing bodies they have to.

from my own personal view: it's yet another indication of how those that run football don't understand football. I want to see the players show that they have passion, I want them to get carried away either because they understand the significance to us or to their own careers. I was here, as were many others, when perks scored his one and only league goal for us and he loved it, we knew the importance and so did he, he came to celebrate with th fans and did no harm whatsoever, yet got a yellow for it.

for me those who came up with the rule, for whatever reason, are in danger of making the game sterile. it's a bloody stupid rule.

feel free to clamp down on diving or players holding their faces when they've got bugger all wrong with them ( though FIFA bottled that one a while back with Rivaldo), but why oh why is a player taking his shirt off such a big deal???
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
Updated, interactive, snazzy website coming soon...
bigreddog

Postby campdave » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:14 am

Anyone explain the point of taking off the shirt in the first place? I mean, it was a lovely vest Duffy had on, but perhaps I've missed the memo that explains why taking off your shirt = passion.
campdave

Postby Mighty Red » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:34 am

I think anyone taking their shirt off should be fined by the club and banned from playing for six weeks. That goes for spectators too.
Mighty Red

Postby pompeyred » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:42 am

Mighty Red wrote:I think anyone taking their shirt off should be fined by the club and banned from playing for six weeks. That goes for spectators too.

I think anybody celebrating at all should be given a straight red card, it is only the players job. Im sure that if I celebrated every single time I correctly diagnosed an electrical fault I wouldn't have a job for very long!
pompeyred

Postby Plain Peter » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:48 am

pompeyred wrote:
Mighty Red wrote:I think anyone taking their shirt off should be fined by the club and banned from playing for six weeks. That goes for spectators too.

I think anybody celebrating at all should be given a straight red card, it is only the players job. Im sure that if I celebrated every single time I correctly diagnosed an electrical fault I wouldn't have a job for very long!

Adrenelin mate.
I think there is a difference though between scoring a goal to make it 5-0, and doing as Kabul did for Pompey at Sunderland. That goal, and the point it got for Pompey, could be the point that keeps them up in May. On the other hand Kabul had already been booked, and will now be suspended. So he should have known better.
Plain Peter

Postby pompeyred » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:52 am

Peter wrote:
pompeyred wrote:

Adrenelin mate.
I think there is a difference though between scoring a goal to make it 5-0, and doing as Kabul did for Pompey at Sunderland. That goal, and the point it got for Pompey, could be the point that keeps them up in May. On the other hand Kabul had already been booked, and will now be suspended. So he should have known better.

Do you not get adrenalin in your work, I get it quit often when working live but that doesent mean that when Im finished I go next door and take the piss out of them for living in the rong house!
pompeyred

Postby heysham_mfc » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:12 am

At the end of the day the players know the rules and the referee has a job to do he does not make the rules himself he only does what he is told he can't not book Duffy because it was right at the end of he game then next week book a player because of how long is left and how significant the goal is to the overall result. Duffy would have known that he would be booked for his celibration it may seem harsh but they are the rules.
heysham_mfc

Postby Keith » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:53 pm

The ref was smiling as he went across to book Duffy, I reckon he probably said something like 'nice goal fella, sorry but you know I have to do this...'

It's not like he stopped Duffy's celebration, or even made him rush to put the shirt back on! :lol:

Fans enjoyed the celebration too!

Might be a few crowd photos making their way into the programme... you'll have to buy one on Boxing Day to find out! :lol:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby campdave » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:03 pm

Great pics keith!
campdave

Postby John L » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:09 pm

8-) 8-) 8-)
:lol:
John L

Postby Keith » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:08 pm

campdave wrote:Great pics keith!

Cheers Dave. It is certainly a different way to watch a game, through a big lens. It must be easier if you don't care about the teams who were playing. Trying not to go YESSSSSS!!! while stood at 'the wrong end' of the pitch, especially when the third one went in!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby heysham_mfc » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:43 pm

Keith wrote:
campdave wrote:Great pics keith!

Cheers Dave. It is certainly a different way to watch a game, through a big lens. It must be easier if you don't care about the teams who were playing. Trying not to go YESSSSSS!!! while stood at 'the wrong end' of the pitch, especially when the third one went in!

ha ha if I was taking the pictures don't think I would be able to help myself :lol:
heysham_mfc

Postby thegentlegiant » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:32 pm

pompeyred wrote:

I will not bite, I WILL NOT BITE!!! :lol:

Oh screw that, straight red haha, banned for 6 weeks??? you need to get out more utter stupid talk yeah the yellow is fair enough but that's where the line should be drawn, simples!!! 8-)
thegentlegiant

Postby Keith » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:55 pm

thegentlegiant wrote:
pompeyred wrote:

I will not bite, I WILL NOT BITE!!! :lol:

Oh screw that, straight red haha, banned for 6 weeks??? you need to get out more utter stupid talk yeah the yellow is fair enough but that's where the line should be drawn, simples!!! 8-)

Good catch Pompey Red! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keith
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion