crewe game

crewe game

Postby shrimpnsave » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:26 pm

So to lose at home to an outfit like Morecambe – who until 2007 had endured more than eight decades in non-league and before last weekend had yet to register an away win all season – was clearly unacceptable to the Gresty Road faithful.

http://www.crewechronicle.co.uk/crewe-a ... -25190973/

:o lol
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Re: crewe game

Postby heysham_mfc » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:53 pm

it would be a shame if Dario Gradi got the sack after all he has done for them
heysham_mfc

Postby Number 1 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:14 pm

What a crap and bitter article.

This bit here puzzles me "For the Alex, who were beating the likes of Leeds United not so long ago"

Surely this is double standards, because it says more about Leeds' demise than it does about how good Crewe used to be, but that line seems to infer that Crewe used to be Champions League contenders, which they most certainly weren't...shoddy reporting in my opinion.
Number 1

Postby Martin » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:47 pm

We've seen comments like this before. They never want to admit they are now the same standard as us. It always seems that they're on some temporary blip, whilst we shouldn't be there in the first place.

Crewe need to work hard in this league like any other club, big or small, because the Blue Square Premier is littered with similar-minded outfits.
Martin

Postby campdave » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:48 pm

Not so disimilar to several comments after the Northampton game.
campdave

Postby Plain Peter » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:00 pm

Martin wrote:We've seen comments like this before. They never want to admit they are now the same standard as us. It always seems that they're on some temporary blip, whilst we shouldn't be there in the first place.

Crewe need to work hard in this league like any other club, big or small, because the Blue Square Premier is littered with similar-minded outfits.

It says more about the state of the game if you ask me.
I was a season ticket holder at Fratton Park for many a year.
I enjoyed the old game. Now I wouldn't go anywhere near the place.
Shrimps are riding a wave.
Will it last?
Let's hope so, cos if it don't that sinking feeling can come mighty fast.
Plain Peter

Postby Jack Poulton » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:23 pm

I stayed down for the weekend with relatives and listened to BBC Radio Stoke after the game. What a bitter and twisted lot. Comments from the presenters were like "we should not be losing to former non league sides like Morecambe, Accrington, Dagenham etc and also it was a disgrace to lose at York in the cup. I tried to phone in to say "get real - we are in the same league and you may need to get used to the Conference as they are certainly in free fall." They seem to feel they had a devine right to beat teams like us. They also reckoned we were the worst team they had seen at Gresty Road all season - Err- wrong: that would be Crewe Alex wouldn't it?
Jack Poulton

Postby heysham_mfc » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:48 pm

why does every other team think the likes of us and accy only seem to be on loan from the conference have have as much right to be there as anyone else we got here on merit and I hope we are a FL side for many years to come. You only need to look at other simlar sized teams to us like Dagenham and Barnet to see that the smaler clubs can compete at this level if teams like Crewe were good enough to be playing against the likes of leeds them they would not have come down in the first place :!:
heysham_mfc

Postby Christies Child » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:39 pm

It always seems to be those minows of League 1 who come down to League 2 with broken egos. Not content with taking it out on their own club and their management they think that they are now the big boys and that when we shatter their illusions they retaliate in the only way that they can.

Sad very sad..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby The Fury » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:32 am

Let them have their moment I say. They were on the receiving end of all this for years when they were in the Championship. In fact, I recall many folk drawing analogies between Crewe and ourselves in relation to the whole 'punching above their weight' argument.
The Fury

Postby Keith » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:40 am

we only 'endured' that length of time because of the 'old boys network'. The 56/57 & 57/58 seasons in particular stand out for who had to re-apply to stay in the League and which teams applied to join it...

http://www.footballsite.co.uk/Statistic ... 955-56.htm
http://www.footballsite.co.uk/Statistic ... 956-57.htm
http://www.footballsite.co.uk/Statistic ... 957-58.htm
http://www.nonleaguetables.co.uk/lthtml ... #LANCCOMB1

The last link, for our younger viewers, has Crewe reaching the nose-bleeding heights of tenth in the fourth division with Morecambe winning the Lancashire Combination by six points (when it was 2 points for a win). Still not enough for election.

The following season we won it again...
http://www.nonleaguetables.co.uk/lthtml ... #LANCCOMB1
Played 42 Won 31 Drew 6 Lost 5 Goals for 153 Goals against 40 Points 68 (99 points in new money)
Still not enough to get elected...

We were still applying to join the League until 69/70 season, after which we began to decline. in 70/71 Crewe were once again occupying that familiar 'bottom spot'. Unfortunately for Barrow, they were also in the bottom four and had to re-apply. Despite being eight points above Crewe (21 points above them if it was three points for a win) Barrow went out and Crewe lived to finish bottom another year. Back in the days when most teams travelled by rail, Crewe being easy to get to and Barrow being the back of beyond clearly had nothing to do with it...

While we were winning at Wembley (73/74) Crewe were filling out the all too familiar 're-apply' paper work.

Bottom again 78/79
Re-apply 79/80
Bottom 81/82
Re-apply 82/83

Finally, in 87/88 promotion & relegation to the League began. By then, Crewe were established as a 'mid-table' side, finishing in 17th.

HUGE TEAM are Crewe...
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion