Carlisle Utd - their treatment fo our disabled fans

Carlisle Utd - their treatment fo our disabled fans

Postby Mike W. » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:39 am

People may wish to see the response I have received from Carlisle United after I sent a request for their comments about how they treated the Morecambe wheel chair fans at our game up there. If you were not there, our people were in the open (and the rain) near the rest of our lot who had cover, of course. To make it worse further down the same side Carlisle wheel chair fans were under purpose built cover fairly well protected.

The response is below, after I wrote as Deputy Chair of Shrimps Supporters and national secretary of the Football Supporters Federation. At least they admit their fault and say they intend to do something about it,

Mike w.

Mikel

Your email has been sent on to me as Operations Manager for the club.

Firstly looking forward to the replay tomorrow night and I am hoping to get down to primarily watch the football but because I am also told there is a good fish and chip shop!!

Your comments are fully justified and I am told this matter is in hand - one of our directors is looking at putting a bus shelter style cover for the away disabled fans. As you can fully appreciate, money is always tight but I am told by the directors that we plan to have this in place as soon as possible.

It is always good to receive comments from fans and I hope that the matter can be resolved as soon as possible.

Regards

Nigel Dickinson
Operations Manager
Carlisle United Association Football Club (1921) Ltd
Brunton Park
Warwick Road
Carlisle CA1 1LL
Mike W.

Re: Carlisle Utd - their treatment fo our disabled fans

Postby morecambe mick » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:05 pm

Succinct and no apology. :(
morecambe mick

Postby Dids » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:21 pm

The disabled fans at the carlisle game were asked if they would like to go in the sheltered area in the home end, but this offer was declined.

Morecambe FC at the moment do not supply ANY area for travelling disabled supporters in the away end.

Can we just leave this matter alone now please.
Dids

Postby John L » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:35 pm

Dids wrote:Morecambe FC at the moment do not supply ANY area for travelling disabled supporters in the away end.

At least all of the away area at Morecambe is covered.... :|
John L

Postby heysham_mfc » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:03 pm

maybe this is something to have at the new ground
heysham_mfc

Postby Christies Child » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:48 pm

heysham_mfc wrote:maybe this is something to have at the new ground

Take a close look at the plans for the new stadium. You'll see that we'll be providing enough covered areas for all disabled fans for BOTH sets of supporters. In fact we will probably be providing more than many Championship clubs let alone Leagues 1 and 2.

This is a credit to our Board and its on-going consideration of all aspects of the new stadium.

:D :D :D
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby marky » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:21 pm

Yep, the only stand that won't have a dedicated disabled area will be the side terrace.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Christies Child » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:37 pm

marky wrote:Yep, the only stand that won't have a dedicated disabled area will be the side terrace.

.....take another look and you'll see that there are 6 disabled places with carers to the right of the centre line. That's assuming that the plans haven't been changed.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Keith » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:43 pm

Christies Child wrote:You'll see that we'll be providing enough covered areas for all disabled fans for BOTH sets of supporters. In fact we will probably be providing more than many Championship clubs let alone Leagues 1 and 2.

This is a credit to our Board and its on-going consideration of all aspects of the new stadium.

:D :D :D

No, it is complying with the legislation laid out in the Disability Discrimination Act. Failure to do so would have been in breach of the legislation and presumably would have meant the plans would not be passed. There are many things that are a credit to our board but this is simply doing what has to be done.

Old stadia are much more difficult to change and to make "reasonable adaptations". Dids says that an alternative offer was made and therefore a choice was given. Not perhaps a perfect choice but a compromise choice.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby wijit » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:48 pm

morecambe mick wrote:Succinct and no apology. :(

The man has clearly indicated there is a problem, and that they are addressing it, what do you want, a bouquet of flowers?
We're both clubs on restricted budgets and sometime, no matter how fair or not, money has to go where not everybody thinks it could be better served elsewhere.
Mike took the trouble to ask a question and he doesn't appear offended by the reply, the fact they replied is to be be given credit, some clubs wouldn't have even done that.
wijit

Return to General Discussion