Credit where its due

Re: Credit where its due

Postby sgt major » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:31 pm

Can we sign back the players that won us the Wembley play off - keep them fit and watch us climb the table - oh - and just add Manny Panther, Big Baz and Stu Drummond to that line up and I think we may have a winning combination.

Just a thought ;)
sgt major

Postby shrimper » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:10 am

Yatesy played right-back when Thommo was here but right wing-back for a lot of last season.

I said all during the close season we didn't need another right sided defender because we had Wainwright and I was delighted to see him back and playing well yesterday.

I prefer 3-5-2 because with Danny in there it allows Wilson to push forward which is his strength and he's the only player we have who can attack with pace down the left flank, Duffy isn't quite quick or strong enough. If Wilson has to play orthodox fullback I think we lose a lot that he gives to the team (or it leaves us exposed if he does go forward).

I think Danny is a great player and a very clever defender but gets exposed as an orthodox fullback. This system gets the best out of both of them and lets us have another three in central midfield where we need numbers.

If we go 4-4-2 who is your left sided midfielder? Wayne, Twissy? Not for me.

Chuffed for the players and manager on Saturday. We've worked hard in a lot of recent games and not got what we deserved.

Lincoln weren't good but what the heck, let's take heart from the win, get another at Darlo and enjoy moving up the table a bit.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Posh » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:32 pm

parceldave wrote:Im confused too, because i thought Yatesy played at right back and Thommo played at right wing.

Not since the end of the 2007-08 season. Since then and until his departure Adam Yates only played as a right wing-back in a 5-3-2 system we've been playing for a year now.

parceldave wrote:Darren Moss came highly rated from Shrewbury as a RIGHT BACK replacement for Yatesy

True he was a highly-rated right back, however he was at least our third choice player. The other two from Rotherham and Rochdale (who turned us down) were both highly attack-minded full back / wing-backs and would have fitted the 5-3-2 well. In the end of season panic I don't think we even knew what we'd bought or his attributes.

parceldave wrote:Only my opinion but i would rather have 4-4-2 . Moss,Parrish, Bentley and Wilson

As Shrimper says, that system is an absolute waste of Lawrence Wilson's talents and also needs a balancing player in front of him on the left that we haven't got. The result of which would be dropping one of Stanners, Garry Hunter and Drummy from the side that won on Saturday. 5-3-2 is always going to be the long-term system, which would only be improved by bringing in Will Haining (but for who?) and Manny Panther (probably for Stanners but let's see how he gets on).
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:36 pm

Posh wrote: bringing in Will Haining (but for who?) and Manny Panther (probably for Stanners but let's see how he gets on).

Manny Panther and Stewart D are one and the same according to the News Of The World so that should save a selection problem.
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby George Dawes » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:49 pm

shrimper wrote:Yatesy played right-back when Thommo was here but right wing-back for a lot of last season.

I said all during the close season we didn't need another right sided defender because we had Wainwright and I was delighted to see him back and playing well yesterday.

I prefer 3-5-2 because with Danny in there it allows Wilson to push forward which is his strength and he's the only player we have who can attack with pace down the left flank, Duffy isn't quite quick or strong enough. If Wilson has to play orthodox fullback I think we lose a lot that he gives to the team (or it leaves us exposed if he does go forward).

I think Danny is a great player and a very clever defender but gets exposed as an orthodox fullback. This system gets the best out of both of them and lets us have another three in central midfield where we need numbers.

If we go 4-4-2 who is your left sided midfielder? Wayne, Twissy? Not for me.

Chuffed for the players and manager on Saturday. We've worked hard in a lot of recent games and not got what we deserved.

Lincoln weren't good but what the heck, let's take heart from the win, get another at Darlo and enjoy moving up the table a bit.

not noticed Craney using a left foot? me id have Twiss he's never been given chance in that position in L2, and took the ball past Sol Campbell a few times with good delivery's across the goal mouth

and if we was to play a flat back 4, why cant we go 4 3 3 or 4 5 1 or 4 1 4 1 or the popular 4 2 3 1 like Liverpool Chelsea and England play at times

i do have belief in our squad
George Dawes

Postby heysham_mfc » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:28 am

was not at the game as I was away at the weekend but 3-1 is a fantastic results and lets hope that we can now push on and get a result at crewe in a couple of weeks time
heysham_mfc

Postby shrimper » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:34 pm

DawZi wrote:
not noticed Craney using a left foot?

Not sure what point that makes, he's a central midfielder.

I'm not against any particular system if you have the right players. I just think that Adams defends very well if he is not exposed to pace and Wilson is more effective for us as a wingback than an orthodox fullback.

Twissy isn't a midfielder, doesn't want to play there and doesn't play as well there as he does up front.

I also don't like a four-man midfield where the two wide men are wingers. This leaves you very short in the middle and you get over-run.

I think Adams and Wilson on the left of a five man line is better than any other combination we have, they work well together. If we had a quicker left fullback then fair enough, Wilson left side of a four-man midfield could work.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Previous

Return to General Discussion