V Northampton - First visit to Christie Park

V Northampton - First visit to Christie Park

Postby Dartford Hammer » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:54 am

As you can tell from the Username, I am a West Ham / Dartford fan ( No mention of Wembley 1974 from me !! ).
A group of 8 of us are coming to Morecambe tomorrow ( 4 from london/4 from Glasgow) for the day and night. We go to a few different grounds every season to " tick them off the list" and tomorrows turn is Morecambe...

So, what I am after is any inside onfo..>Where to drink before the game( any pubs close to the ground), where to stand ( behind the goal probably in with the Morecambe fans of course).
We are staying the night in St Winifrids hotel, so we will do a pub crawl of the town at night....Anything worth looking out for at all?

Cheers. Any help and info would be appreciated. Am looking forward to coming along tomorrow.

Cheers
Craig ( Dartford Hammer)
Dartford Hammer

Re: V Northampton - First visit to Christie Park

Postby George Dawes » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:02 am

York Hotel before and after the match then if your planning of staying in Morecambe try the Chiefton and the Pier on the seafront all them are drinkers pubs although the York is where all the MFC fans have friendly crack with all welcome away supporters with no trouble :)

just avoid queen street that's Chav central where all the rowdy young ones drink :|
George Dawes

Postby P/T Indie » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:19 am

Try the Paletine as well on the corner of the Prom/Queen street if you like you real ale or a variety of beers.

To be honest the night life in Morecambe is hardly fantastic if you just want few pubs to have a good drink it will be ok but if your looking for a bit more life night clubs etcthen I am affraid you will have to go to Lancaster.

A good pub crawl from the York would probably be :-

York
Chieftan
Palatine
Ma Murphys

You wont go far wrong there all good pubs which sells good beer finishing in Ma Murphys who will prob have a band on and be quite busy later on.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Dartford Hammer » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:24 am

Cheers for the info so far...Although definitely not looking for nightclubs, we do want a good & long pub crawl, so your suggestions from the York is good thanks. Will ensure we get to the York for a pre match beer and by the sounds of it, we will try and give Queen Street a miss....

Good luck for the game
Dartford Hammer

Postby P/T Indie » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:41 am

Forogt to add the Pier in after the Palatine. They are at the top of Queen street near the prom and Ma Murphys is just off it at the bottom. You will pass other places as you walk down it some aren't to bad and the others I will let you make your own mind up ;)
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Chris » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:50 am

Hi Craig

Your Hotel is on the front, on Marine Rd East. A taxi no is 01524 424424 0r 848848 if you don't fancy the walk!

The North Stand behind the goal is where you'll find the Shrimps fans.

Enjoy your stay and don't forget your umbrellas.

Cheers

Chris
Chris

Postby Dartford Hammer » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:12 am

Thanks very much for the taxi numbers, they will come in very handy i'm sure. We will be on the North stand then to watch the game and definitely the York Hotel pub beforehand.
Thanks for all the info...and yes, I have seen the weather forecast which doesnt look good I admit !..Suppose it will just mean we have to run from pub to pub instead of walking, so at least there is a bit of excercise for the weekend...
Cheers again..
Dartford Hammer

Postby Keith » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:09 pm

Are you going to wear your club colours? There won't be a problem coming in the home end with a selection of team shirts... as long as none of you are Northampton fans anyway! :roll:

Hopefully I'll be pitch side taking photos, so if you make yourself known I'll take a shot of your group in the crowd. I'll be in the York before the game, or at the match I'll be the young, good looking photographer 8-)

Well, youngest, best looking of the photographers there...

...possibly... Okay, its fishing in a very small pool :? :roll:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Dartford Hammer » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:45 pm

We wont be wearing cluub colours I'm afraid, although it would be a good idea to get noticed at our next venue to wear them...although not sure how a West Ham/Dartford combo would look like.....??
Keith - I will look out for you in the pub and say hello if I spot you. We will be the 8 with either London or Scottish accents...Not that you can hear that from the side of the pitch of course but we may LOOK a little out of place so you can probably spot us a mile off....
Am very looking forward to this now.Thanks for all the info guys and hope you win tomorrow....
Cheers
Dartford Hammer

Postby Mark S » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:47 pm

Keith wrote:
Hopefully I'll be pitch side taking photos, so if you make yourself known I'll take a shot of your group in the crowd. I'll be in the York before the game, or at the match I'll be the young, good looking photographer 8-)

Well, youngest, best looking of the photographers there...

...possibly... Okay, its fishing in a very small pool :? :roll:

Just to help you recognise Keith......

We let him out of his box once in a while ;)
Attachments
Leo_Sayer.jpg
Leo_Sayer.jpg (28.01 KiB) Viewed 1454 times
Mark S

Postby Keith » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:57 pm

LOL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good to see the etch-a-sketch you asked for last Christmas is still being used!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Plain Peter » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:32 pm

Dartford Hammer wrote: We will be the 8 with either London or Scottish accents...

They'll be in familiar company in Morecambe.
Plain Peter

Postby Plain Peter » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:41 pm

Name a famous Scottish Hammer?
Clyde Best :) .

Name a really famous Hammer?
Alan Taylor.

Have West Ham ever played at Crusty?
When?
What was the score? Half of it was Nil :lol:
Plain Peter

Postby seasonsinthesun » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:41 am

Yes. West Ham came to Christie Park in 1976 to play a friendly.
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby Keith » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:28 pm

West Ham played at Christie twice I think. A big win and a win that wasn't as big possibly?

Keith
Site Admin

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:29 am

Did'nt realise Des O'Connor once played for Northampton, maybe we should get some performers in our team :roll:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Dartford Hammer » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:00 am

Hello everyone,

Just thought I’d let you know that we had a great time in Morecambe. Thanks for all the advice on pubs etc, but I need not have worried. The town centre has more pubs so close to eachother than I have ever seen before. We went into all the ones recommended apart from the Smugglers Den I think...Just didn’t “stumble” across it.

From a neutral point of view it was a good game of course but being in with your fans behind the goal, obviously we wanted Morecambe to win..I can understand the disappointment of losing and the few boos at the end but it wasn’t such a bad performance from your team. Cobblers just took their chances I though, and you didn’t....I did notice that you are a very tall team on average..

I did bump into one of the forum guys in the pub as he came up and introduced himself which was nice. I am sorry, I can’t remember the name as we must have been to about 10 pubs or so by then. but I am sure you are on here today so just to say hello again and thanks for saying hello to us and making yourself known.

So, overall, a good day for us ( sorry about the result), everyone we met were so friendly and we come away from Morecambe with great memories, so thanks one and all and we will be looking out for your results with interest for the rest of the season...Good luck !
Dartford Hammer

Postby Dartford Hammer » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:00 am

Hello everyone,

Just thought I’d let you know that we had a great time in Morecambe. Thanks for all the advice on pubs etc, but I need not have worried. The town centre has more pubs so close to eachother than I have ever seen before. We went into all the ones recommended apart from the Smugglers Den I think...Just didn’t “stumble” across it.

From a neutral point of view it was a good game of course but being in with your fans behind the goal, obviously we wanted Morecambe to win..I can understand the disappointment of losing and the few boos at the end but it wasn’t such a bad performance from your team. Cobblers just took their chances I though, and you didn’t....I did notice that you are a very tall team on average..

I did bump into one of the forum guys in the pub as he came up and introduced himself which was nice. I am sorry, I can’t remember the name as we must have been to about 10 pubs or so by then. but I am sure you are on here today so just to say hello again and thanks for saying hello to us and making yourself known.

So, overall, a good day for us ( sorry about the result), everyone we met were so friendly and we come away from Morecambe with great memories, so thanks one and all and we will be looking out for your results with interest for the rest of the season...Good luck !
Dartford Hammer

Postby heysham_mfc » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:32 pm

glad you enjoyed it hope you can come again maybe when we are at our new ground
heysham_mfc

Postby Dartford Hammer » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:13 pm

Will definitely be back one day at your new ground.... May need to seek out some of the more elusive pubs that I missed on saturday.
Hope you guys can improve and move away from the relegation places..Be a shame for all those years in non league to then drift back down there...
Good luck and hopefully I'll be back one day....maybe with Dartford in 4-5 years time and we can get revenge for 1974... ;)
Dartford Hammer

Return to General Discussion