Sat Navs

Re: Sat Navs

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:23 am

I bought one at Halfords in the half price sale. A Navigon. excellent , even shows speed cameras ;)
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Gnasher » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:32 am

Take a look at www.pocketgpsworld.co.uk. You can subscribe to their speed camera database and you load them onto your satnav device as "Points Of Interest". For tomtom's it's cheaper than tomtom's own camera service and you configure the tomtom to warn you when you are near a paticular POI.

As ockers will tell you, I hear a cuckoo when I am approaching a speed camera and it moos when I am near McDonalds :lol:

They have free POI downloads for lots of other things, like petrol stations, supermarkets, etc, etc. Before you subscribe though, make sure they have the POI file for your device. They cover most of the major brands but obviously check before you pay.
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby Keith » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:12 am

I used a satnav twice, both times it took me in a different direction to what I would have done using a map and both times I ended up spending hours on the road that I didn't need to! Maps for me too

Mind you, on the Isle of Man, neither satnav or maps are needed, if lost, just keep going until you reach the sea, then turn left :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Christies Child » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:27 am

Gnasher wrote:Take a look at http://www.pocketgpsworld.co.uk. You can subscribe to their speed camera database and you load them onto your satnav device as "Points Of Interest". For tomtom's it's cheaper than tomtom's own camera service and you configure the tomtom to warn you when you are near a paticular POI.

As ockers will tell you, I hear a cuckoo when I am approaching a speed camera and it moos when I am near McDonalds :lol:

They have free POI downloads for lots of other things, like petrol stations, supermarkets, etc, etc. Before you subscribe though, make sure they have the POI file for your device. They cover most of the major brands but obviously check before you pay.

Doesn't replicate the sound of a machine gun when in the vacinity of my car by any chance? :lol:
Last edited by Christies Child on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Gnasher » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:36 am

Keith wrote:I used a satnav twice, both times it took me in a different direction to what I would have done using a map and both times I ended up spending hours on the road that I didn't need to! Maps for me too

Mind you, on the Isle of Man, neither satnav or maps are needed, if lost, just keep going until you reach the sea, then turn left :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not all major satnav brands include the IoM in their "UK" maps :?

I use mine all the time, even home to work, because it's also the handsfree widget for my mobile.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby Plain Peter » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:04 pm

Gnasher wrote:Theres mo electronic replacement for common sense. If you choose to turn up a farm track, you deserve what you get.

I like driving in the countryside.
Plain Peter

Postby Mark S » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:08 pm

I like chocolate ice cream.
Mark S

Postby Plain Peter » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:07 pm

So do I.
But I'm doing research into the future of the indigenous population of Wiltshire, and how infiltration by nomadic Romanian farmers may affect their until now unaffected inbred lifestyle.
I need to infiltrate the inner sanctums of these places.
Therefore, I can't rely on simple commonsense (of which I have lots :lol: ) whenever SatNav directs me down a farm track.
It may be a track to nowhere, but then again.....
.....if it's a Friday night, then it could be a great weekend 8-) .
Plain Peter

Postby Gnasher » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:15 pm

My SatNav took me down a crappy farm track this afternoon.

Good job I was heading to the Lakeland Maize Maze :lol:
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby morecambe mick » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:01 pm

Peter wrote:So do I.
But I'm doing research into the future of the indigenous population of Wiltshire, and how infiltration by nomadic Romanian farmers may affect their until now unaffected inbred lifestyle.
I need to infiltrate the inner sanctums of these places.
Therefore, I can't rely on simple commonsense (of which I have lots :lol: ) whenever SatNav directs me down a farm track.
It may be a track to nowhere, but then again.....
.....if it's a Friday night, then it could be a great weekend 8-) .

If it's one of those "inbred" farms, you'd need to take your sister to fit in properly! :lol:
morecambe mick

Previous

Return to General Discussion