Morecambe 0 Newport 1 LIVE thread

Re: Morecambe 0 Newport 1 LIVE thread

Postby lancaster shrimp » Sun Sep 01, 2024 12:31 pm

People comparing Jim to Derek, Wow. The love some people have for JB as a manager is mind boggling at times.
lancaster shrimp

Postby KenH » Sun Sep 01, 2024 12:50 pm

lancaster shrimp wrote:People comparing Jim to Derek, Wow. The love some people have for JB as a manager is mind boggling at times.

I remember all the fanboy comments at the time.

"He shook my hand" - what a great guy!

"He bought me a pint" - what a legend!

I think it was another of the club's "cliques" of a tiny number of people being in the "inner circle".
KenH

Postby fulwoodshrimp » Sun Sep 01, 2024 12:53 pm

I suspect if we are relegated then there would be a large drop in attendances. We are already seeing a drop because of the form so far this season but it’s nothing imo to the decrease we would suffer in the National League.
fulwoodshrimp

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Sep 01, 2024 1:09 pm

Jim Bentley is and always will be a Morecambe Legend, his service to this club is almost up there on its own. Player, Captain and Manager, he always gave everything for this club and i'll be first to say that.
BerlinWaller

Postby sandgrown » Sun Sep 01, 2024 4:20 pm

lancaster shrimp wrote:People comparing Jim to Derek, Wow. The love some people have for JB as a manager is mind boggling at times.

good post !
sandgrown

Postby sandgrown » Sun Sep 01, 2024 4:22 pm

KenH wrote:

I remember all the fanboy comments at the time.

"He shook my hand" - what a great guy!

"He bought me a pint" - what a legend!

I think it was another of the club's "cliques" of a tiny number of people being in the "inner circle".

well said KenH spot on post
sandgrown

Postby Keith » Sun Sep 01, 2024 5:40 pm

Or, you find it mind-boggling, the respect some long term fans have for Jim, who always gave 100% for the club, and kept us going through our darkest days? It's crap at the moment, but still not as bad as Lemos and the rest of the chaos we went through then.

I can't understand why it isn't possible to respect what Jim did AND what Derek has done? I don't respect Robinson, because he was a bulls****er. Neither Jim or Derek lied to us and both have worked wonders.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Wild Bill » Sun Sep 01, 2024 5:52 pm

Interesting discussion on managers past and present. I don't actually think we've had a poor manager in the 32 years I have supported the club. All did well in their own right. OK James struggled in the league but didn't he win the Presidents Cup? Jimbo, was a great man manager and loyal to the club. Perhaps his budget was slightly higher in real terms to Derek's but part of the job as a manager is convincing quality to come here. I was critical of Robbo when he left, but after what's happened since, you can see why he jumped. He had to create a squad also from scratch and gave us some great moments in the early months in L1. Ged did ok too. Some decent football at times and memorable results. Derek just needs to stick around to get things right.
Wild Bill

Postby lancaster shrimp » Sun Sep 01, 2024 6:59 pm

Keith wrote:

Or, you find it mind-boggling, the respect some long term fans have for Jim, who always gave 100% for the club, and kept us going through our darkest days? It's crap at the moment, but still not as bad as Lemos and the rest of the chaos we went through then.

I can't understand why it isn't possible to respect what Jim did AND what Derek has done? I don't respect Robinson, because he was a bulls****er. Neither Jim or Derek lied to us and both have worked wonders.

I respect him 100% what he did for us. But we were constantly fighting relegation with Jim. Then 18 months later DA (in his first full season) took us up. DA also never mentioned "never to high, never to low" Spotted the potential in CMG.
lancaster shrimp

Postby Keith » Tue Sep 03, 2024 11:19 am

From another thread, re the Hope 'goal' that was disallowed:

cragbankshrimp wrote:Songo was definitely offside when the free kick came in and he nodded it on. i was directly inline with it.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Keith » Tue Sep 03, 2024 11:41 am

lancaster shrimp wrote:I respect him 100% what he did for us. But we were constantly fighting relegation with Jim. Then 18 months later DA (in his first full season) took us up. DA also never mentioned "never to high, never to low" Spotted the potential in CMG.

Interestingly, Derek's win ratio in his second period as Morecambe manager has a lower win ratio (27.3%) than Jim's (28.3%). Derek's first period in charge was obviously incredible, but we've had periods of struggling with him too. Jim kept us in the Football League repeatedly, against all odds, by implementing a 'siege mentality'. Derek, by installing a belief that we can be better.

People often mention Carlos, but again, I think that's unfair. Carlos played double figures of games under Jim. He was a young lad, developing. Undoubtably, Derek brought him on further, and gave him a key role in the team, but he was another year or more older and better. It's like some people questioning why Lief Davies never got a game with us, but he was barely sixteen. He only made his Leeds debut when he did due to the first choice left back getting injured during the warm up (so Davies went on the bench) then, the second choice getting injured during the game.

By the end of Jim's time with us, it was common knowledge that the owners were not backing him, and in fact, openly undermining him (was it Whittingham or the other cockwomble joint owner, who started a Facebook poll, asking if Jim should be sacked?)

Both managers did an amazing job through some dreadful periods of time for our club. Simply remaining in the Football League has been incredible. Unfortunately, we're back to 'fighting relegation' again. Finishing third from bottom will be a success once more, anything higher, great. Derek has done an amazing job of assembling another squad that could yet provide an upset to many.

Keith
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussion