Morecambe v Burscough

Morecambe v Burscough

Postby shrimp in cyprus » Fri Aug 30, 2024 2:53 pm

This was the very first Morecambe game that I saw (with my father back in the 1950's.) No disrespect to Burscough but I wonder how long before we will be playing them again? Interesting to know other SVers first games.
The wine and the football seem better in the sunshine!!
shrimp in cyprus

Re: Morecambe v Burscough

Postby Scouseport_Shrimp » Fri Aug 30, 2024 3:13 pm

I think my first Morecambe game at Crusty park was v West Ham, when local Carnforth lad Alan Taylor brought the 1975 FA Cup Winners up to Morecambe for a friendly.

Alan who had a short spell for Morecambe before moving to West Ham via Rochdale. He scored both goals in the 6th Round, Semi Final and Final that season, quite an achievement. That West Ham side was the last side to start an FA Cup Final with 11 english born players.
Scouseport_Shrimp

Postby Phoenix Shrimp 2017 » Fri Aug 30, 2024 3:50 pm

My first game aged 8 was V Burnley in the Lancashire Senior Cup Final at a packed CP. That was 57 years ago. My fate was sealed when mum and dad bought a house opposite CP main gates a couple of years later. I tell you what if you think things are bad now then not long after that CP was crumbling and dilapidated. The club nearly went out of business too. I’ve moved over to East Lancs in 1978. However I’ve never lost the bug and don’t miss many home games. I get to a few away games too. I feel sad when long time stalwarts decide enough is enough and stop attending games. Each to their own I suppose. Fortunes tend to be cyclical so if it goes completely belly up we will hopefully come wanging back at some point!
PS. Alan Taylor was superb and destined for the top from an early age. In todays market he would be worth 20 to 30 million easy! Ah well he was amazing in the NPL whilst with us.
Phoenix Shrimp 2017

Postby Scouseport_Shrimp » Fri Aug 30, 2024 4:20 pm

Phoenix Shrimp 2017 wrote:My first game aged 8 was V Burnley in the Lancashire Senior Cup Final at a packed CP. That was 57 years ago. My fate was sealed when mum and dad bought a house opposite CP main gates a couple of years later. I tell you what if you think things are bad now then not long after that CP was crumbling and dilapidated. The club nearly went out of business too. I’ve moved over to East Lancs in 1978. However I’ve never lost the bug and don’t miss many home games. I get to a few away games too. I feel sad when long time stalwarts decide enough is enough and stop attending games. Each to their own I suppose. Fortunes tend to be cyclical so if it goes completely belly up we will hopefully come wanging back at some point!
PS. Alan Taylor was superb and destined for the top from an early age. In todays market he would be worth 20 to 30 million easy! Ah well he was amazing in the NPL whilst with us.

I played in the same Lancaster & Morecambe secondary skool side as Alan in 1968. I was left-half [No.6], and Alan was left-wing [No.11]. I had an easy job, put the pill into a gap for Alan to run onto and he did the rest. I was slightly surprised to see him progress so well, as he was a very scrawny and only 5'7" tall when I played in the same side, and tbh I don't think his size changed too much.....Happy Days. :D
Scouseport_Shrimp

Return to General Discussion