Managers should only stay for 3 years

Managers should only stay for 3 years

Postby P/T Indie » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:24 pm

I'm surprised no one has picked up on the article where Derek says after 3 years at a club it's probably time to move on.

Based on this does it mean if the board offered him another 2 year deal he wouldn't take it?
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Re: Managers should only stay for 3 years

Postby Andy D » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:01 pm

think Derek means if he hasn't taken us up into L1 after 3 full seasons for example.
Andy D

Postby P/T Indie » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:18 pm

His previous record suggests that he always has a good two years and year 3 the wheels start to come off.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby mrpotatohead » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:06 pm

Wenger , Ferguson.....?
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby black morse » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:27 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:Wenger , Ferguson.....?

Bentley? :shock: :lol:
black morse

Postby jbc.shrimp » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:37 am

I wonder if he explained this to the BoD when he first took the job.
jbc.shrimp

Postby BerlinWaller » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:46 am

I will look forward to a pint in Derek's bar after a nice home win pushes us into the League 1 playoffs in 3 years time.
BerlinWaller

Postby thefactsman » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:37 am

In modern football I guess this is about right?

We must be one of the clubs who seem to have longer-term managers.

Change is good. Just look at us :D
thefactsman

Postby Ego Tripping » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:36 pm

I think Derek is probably right with this, especially at clubs like ours. Reality is that we’ll lose our best players over time as they will be in demand and can get more money elsewhere and/or move upwards. No doubt in my mind it gets continually harder to find gems the longer you’ve been around and some fresh thinking probably works. It’s also better for managers as you don’t lose your reputation as JB did a bit.
Ego Tripping

Postby BerlinWaller » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:45 pm

Freez mentioned Paul Tisdale in his commentary the other night. All those years at Exeter but now he can't hold a job down.

Managers do have a shelf life and probably expect to get the bullet at some point. Chris Wilder looks to be on his way out of Sheff Utd due to an owner wanting to restructure the club.
BerlinWaller

Postby mrpotatohead » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:49 pm

It is also a fact of life in football that if you excell at one level, you soon get noticed and move up, Derek will no doubt get linked with so called "bigger" jobs this summer.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Little Shrimp » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:10 am

Some kind of three year rule/syndrome is something that gets mentioned and chucked around a fair bit. I think that all managers will have a certain 'expiry' after a period of time with a club, but this will vary depending on the club/manager rather than being an arbitrary three years.

I think that the way our club operates means that it could probably be for longer than three years in most cases. My impression is that the manager is given full autonomy over players (within an agreed budget), and there is no meddling from the board. We've also got a history of backing our managers through tough periods.

In hindsight, JB's time with the club was probably up after the 17/18 season. Mid-table finishes had slipped towards relegation struggles which ultimately culminated in Coventry, where we were very lucky to stay up. His two marquee signings that season in Oliver and Campbell didn't really work out, and we were so miserable to watch. I wouldn't be surprised if the season before where the financial troubles peaked had very understandably knocked a lot of stuffing out of JB. I think he's a better manager than he showed in his last couple of years at the club, and hopefully he can keep getting back on track at Fylde.

I think/hope DA will have a bit more than three years at the club. I know he has a reputation for a fiery personality but he seems more mellow (apart from the odd occasion) at the moment than his reputation had suggested. My impression of the board is also that they are probably one of the least aggravating about!
Little Shrimp

Postby BerlinWaller » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:06 am

I can see Derek being high maintenance for the Board. He is going to demand certain things from them and if they want to keep him away from other clubs, they are going to have to back him. It is brilliant for us as fans as we have a top manager who is dragging the club from such low expectations and we have a proactive Board who seem to be saying the right things at the same time.

MPH is spot on though, Derek's record here won't have gone unnoticed and a new contract is a must.
BerlinWaller

Return to General Discussion