AJ Out Again

AJ Out Again

Postby CityShrimp » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:37 pm

Derek has said in his post match interview that AJ has injured himself... again!

Such a talented lad but I’m starting to think we can’t be carrying a player in the squad who is this injury prone.

I have a feeling we’ll be desperate for the January window to come around so we can bring in an extra striker.
CityShrimp

Re: AJ Out Again

Postby fulwoodshrimp » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:44 pm

Sadly AJ is very injury prone and if you work out his wages for the limited games he plays he is very expensive. A club like ours where money is so limited needs players who are durable and stay fit. Such a shame for a fit AJ is top quality.
fulwoodshrimp

Postby marky No.1 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:35 pm

Stockton out as well, step up McAlinden
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:39 am

It's a good job Wildig and Philips are weighing in with goals or the problem would be even greater but Derek can only go with what he's got and unfortunately it's limited
HALMA 1983

Postby Andy D » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:08 am

Smithy's career was like this with Shrewsbury, in L1 talented player who can easily play at an higher level than L2, but in all honesty the only reason we have him is because this issue.

it must be frustrating as Smithy is class on his day.
Andy D

Postby tim-sanchez » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:32 pm

AJ said he went off due to a knock but sounds like it's not too bad, the way he's talking is though he'll be back soon: https://twitter.com/BBCLancsSport/statu ... 5267656705
tim-sanchez

Postby RedRedWine » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:37 am

tim-sanchez wrote:AJ said he went off due to a knock but sounds like it's not too bad, the way he's talking is though he'll be back soon: https://twitter.com/BBCLancsSport/statu ... 5267656705

The interview with Radio Lancs post match has been superseded with an article on the clubs website, detailing that Leitch-Smith will be out for up to 4 weeks after a scan revealed a recurrence of a hamstring injury.

MorecambeFC.com: LEITCH-SMITH RULED OUT FOR UP TO 4 WEEKS

Rotten luck for A-Jay, when fully fit he can be one of the better players in the division - but sadly he is not fit enough, often enough. Great opportunity for McAlinden vs Carlisle United and possibly Tranmere Rovers to show us what he can do. Hopefully Phillips can recover from his illness for both games - as he was unable to train yesterday according the above article.
Hello! Hello! We are the Morecambe boys!
RedRedWine

Postby redrobo » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:51 am

Sad news :cry: but we have to move on and seriously consider coming to an agreement with AJ about cancelling his contract allowing DA to use the January window to bring in a striker either on loan or on a short term deal to see us through this season.

I think DA is doing a superb job but have to question his apparent lack of interest in an additional striker during the summer. Of course for all we know he could have been after someone but finances dictated a lack of success..... :?:
redrobo

Postby BerlinWaller » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:03 pm

A-Jay's goal on Saturday was nothing more than a half chance which he took brilliantly. He is going to be one we talk about for years, a quality player who just couldn't stay fit.

Recurring hamstring injuries will take their toll on his body as well as the mental fatigue of constant rehabilitation. It is a shame but he is a luxury we can not afford to carry.
BerlinWaller

Postby RedRedWine » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:32 pm

redrobo wrote:I think DA is doing a superb job but have to question his apparent lack of interest in an additional striker during the summer. Of course for all we know he could have been after someone but finances dictated a lack of success..... :?:

To be fair to Adams, Leitch-Smith had another year left on his contract going into this year. If that was not the case, I personally don't think A-Jay would've remained at the club and we might've looked elsewhere for a player to come in and provide more consistent competition for Cole and McAlinden. You'd have to question the decision to give A-Jay that two year deal coming off the back of a serious injury.... which at the time people did do (not me). It was a big gamble, and seems to be a losing bet atm unfortunately.

I hope A-Jay can find some fitness, he has bags of ability - like Gareth says, his chance on Saturday was made to look simple but it wasn't that straightforward and we've missed easier opportunities this season. Even so we can't be carrying injury-prone players as it puts pressure on the squad.
RedRedWine

Postby tim-sanchez » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:33 pm

Whilst I do, sadly, agree it would be better to move on and have a player who stays fit, what incentive does AJ have to cancel his contract? It would be an extraordinary gesture of goodwill, because I doubt he'll get another pro contract since he hasn't been fit in almost a year.

From his perspective, he wants to stick around and get fit
tim-sanchez

Postby Bristol Shrimp » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:52 pm

I think this could be a chance for Slew to step up.
Vi er røde, vi er hvide, vi står sammen, side om side!
Bristol Shrimp

Postby RedRedWine » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:17 pm

Slew is a decent team player in that he helps out defensively and keeps a good shape, but I've seen very little of him going forward so far apart from missing sitters. When he comes on from the bench, I generally don't see this as a positive move to try and score a goal, more so to tighten things up across the middle.

I know some fans seem to think he is Usain Bolt in disguise and want to get the olays out when he completes a pass to feet, but is he really that pacey? I think that this is a perception that's stuck with him since his younger days, when his raw speed prompted Rovers to shell out £1m on him. Not sure if trying to keep up that perception with little/no evidence of him going past people is doing anybody any favours to be honest. I get that people want him to do well, and he has done a job at times - just think some people have a different expectations (goals, go past people) than how Adams actual seems to utilise him.

I'm interested to see how Ben Pringle does in the next few games if he gets a go. He came here with big expectation (from me at least) given he's been successful elsewhere, but we've seen very little from him so far.
RedRedWine

Postby HALMA 1983 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:29 pm

Slew will be better the moment he hits the net, sadly his wait goes on.
Pringle has the class and pedigree to make things happen at this level but for glimpses, not here yet.
HALMA 1983

Postby Little Shrimp » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:35 pm

Slew had an excellent game against Rochdale and beat his man on several occasions. His passing accuracy has never been much of a problem for me, just sometimes he can be very safe and hesitant with the ball, which ultimately can hinder his ability to beat a man.

Thought he looked on it against Oldham and Rochdale, but not so much against Grimsby and Salford. He will probably be stepping up at some point - might be worth giving O'Sullivan a rest as he busts a gut most games. Will have to see how he does, hopefully he can get a goal soon.

Pringle has looked great with his touch/passing/delivery. Sometimes drifts out of the game though. Think he needs a bit of game time to get his bearings on the pitch and with the rest of the team.
Little Shrimp

Postby redrobo » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:24 pm

Don't think it will happen but with Cole out for at least the next 2 games I'd like to see Slew play in the centre as a direct replacement for Cole.

Maybe not the striker we need but hopefully could hold the ball and bring others into the play.

As for Pringle, would like DA to give him a start as he's proven player with a touch of class.

McAlinden on the wing and coming inside on a regular basis.

Of course non of the above is likely to happen...... :lol: :?:
Last edited by redrobo on Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
redrobo

Postby BerlinWaller » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:00 pm

In a world where full backs are the new wingers, players like Slew are important. FGR overloaded the wide areas with success on Saturday so you do need someone to do the dirty work and track back or push them back. Slew is a handful, not technically sound but he is someone to worry about. You have seen the change in Sully, no longer a fancy dan but now a grafter with a good cross and a purpose.
BerlinWaller

Postby Slanester » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:50 pm

If Slew is, what some seem to feel he is, then DA would have used him more frequently and successfully. The answer is there.
Slanester

Postby BerlinWaller » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:03 pm

If DA didn't rate Slew would he have brought him in last season and then given him a deal for this season? The question is there.
BerlinWaller

Postby Slanester » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:21 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:If DA didn't rate Slew would he have brought him in last season and then given him a deal for this season? The question is there.

See previous post.
Slanester

Postby tim-sanchez » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:24 pm

I do find it odd that DA brought Slew in, he seemingly didn't impress but then got a new deal, and now can't get in the starting XI.
tim-sanchez

Postby HALMA 1983 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:00 pm

If J.Slew has something to offer, we need to start seeing it sooner, rather than later
Everything starts the moment he gets off the mark and that would happen sooner if he was put up top, anything is worth a try.
HALMA 1983

Postby redrobo » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:51 am

redrobo wrote:Don't think it will happen but with Cole out for at least the next 2 games I'd like to see Slew play in the centre as a direct replacement for Cole.

Maybe not the striker we need but hopefully could hold the ball and bring others into the play.

As for Pringle, would like DA to give him a start as he's proven player with a touch of class.

Well I got that completely wrong in all directions by the sounds of it.... :o

DA's sub policy is at times difficult to understand. Why bring McAlinden on for the last 5 minutes is difficult to understand.

Also to not use possibly one of the most talented midfield players we've signed in Pringle is baffling to saw the very least.

I've still got faith in DA to sort it out but we are slipping down the table at an alarming pace.

It also appears that we bedly need to improve 100% on our shooting. Too often the few shots we have go wide or over the top.

Last night we had the lions share of possession according to the match stats but failed to do anything when in a shooting position and if we di hey presto wide again.

The upcoming FA Cup tie will be our most difficult of the season to date. They will allow us no space and will shoot at every opportunity with little fear of being closed down as we have seen all too often this season to date.

Worrying times ahead after so much belief early doors.
redrobo

Postby black morse » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:01 pm

redrobo wrote:
redrobo wrote:Don't think it will happen but with Cole out for at least the next 2 games I'd like to see Slew play in the centre as a direct replacement for Cole.

Well I got that completely wrong in all directions by the sounds of it.... :o

DA's sub policy is at times difficult to understand. Why bring McAlinden on for the last 5 minutes is difficult to understand.

Also to not use possibly one of the most talented midfield players we've signed in Pringle is baffling to saw the very least.

I've still got faith in DA to sort it out but we are slipping down the table at an alarming pace.

It also appears that we bedly need to improve 100% on our shooting. Too often the few shots we have go wide or over the top.

Last night we had the lions share of possession according to the match stats but failed to do anything when in a shooting position and if we di hey presto wide again.

The upcoming FA Cup tie will be our most difficult of the season to date. They will allow us no space and will shoot at every opportunity with little fear of being closed down as we have seen all too often this season to date.

Worrying times ahead after so much belief early doors.

OK we are losing some but let's look at this slightly differently......we have played 9 and 6 of those have been against teams presently in the top 10 and yesterday we had quite a few key players missing. Let's see where we are at the end of next month.
black morse

Postby CityShrimp » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:48 pm

I think Pringle is quality and hasn’t had the game time he’s deserved.

Slew is the new Vadaine Oliver... gets more game time than he warrants and whilst we all want him to do well, he’s just not delivering the goods.

If he does play then for me he should be out wide and not having the responsibility of being the lone striker. The very very occasional good things he’s done going forward have been when playing on the wing.

For me, McAlinden and Pringle should be definite starters at the moment.
CityShrimp

Next

Return to General Discussion