Defensive situation

Defensive situation

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:29 pm

Even though we have scored 16 goals my main worry is conceding 14 from just 8 games
Blackpool Shrimp

Re: Defensive situation

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:34 pm

Blackpool Shrimp wrote:Even though we have scored 16 goals my main worry is conceding 14 from just 8 games

Last season we had Mark Hughes in defence. No coincidence IMHO.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby KenH » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:11 pm

Very little direction today in the back line. Considering he was capt, Beeley didn't really control or direct anyone. Massive difference from the past where Dugdale was capt and really directing his back line.
KenH

Postby Morecambe Jack » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:15 pm

Dugdale was still on the pitch though? Wearing the armband isn't everything- we need leaders all over the park. Dugdale didn't cover himself in glory today either. We are pathetic at defending set pieces, and it really isn't acceptable when we have two at the back who are both 6 foot whatever.
Morecambe Jack

Postby fulwoodshrimp » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:36 pm

I thought Edwards and Dugdale were poor today and together with the goalkeeper couldn't deal with Northampton's crosses. Northampton had clearly identified this as a weakness and they capitalised on it big time. Beeley didn't look fully fit and perhaps had been rushed back into action too soon.
fulwoodshrimp

Postby Kendalshrimp » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:59 pm

The problem for me today were Beely an Wilson. Their wingers had too much time and space on the ball and got skinned by Northamptons wingers nearly every time they came forward. Wilson for me is really worrying and couldn't find a pass what so ever today needs to be taken out for next week. I'd also bring Parrish in along side Edwards as their the two we had success with last season and will become solid once again if giving a run of games together.

P.s never play Ellison again he can't finish to save his life and is always offside
Kendalshrimp

Postby Seasider9601 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:02 pm

"Can't finish to save his life" ????

He's scored over 50 goals for us alone!

Ok, he was well off the pace today admittedly and should have been subbed but, no need to tarnish him with that brush. Desperately unlucky in the first half and, bar an outstanding save from the Cobblers keeper would have netted a belter.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby John L » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:24 pm

Kendalshrimp wrote:The problem for me today were Beely an Wilson. Their wingers had too much time and space on the ball and got skinned by Northamptons wingers nearly every time they came forward. Wilson for me is really worrying and couldn't find a pass what so ever today needs to be taken out for next week. I'd also bring Parrish in along side Edwards as their the two we had success with last season and will become solid once again if giving a run of games together.

P.s never play Ellison again he can't finish to save his life and is always offside

Today's team news in the Mirror said that Wilson was struggling and Beeley was out, so presumably borderline fitness-wise.
John L

Postby KenH » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:28 pm

John L wrote:Today's team news in the Mirror said that Wilson was struggling and Beeley was out, so presumably borderline fitness-wise.

So why did Jim risk them? We had McGowan and Moly on the bench who both proved their worth whilst Beeley and Wilson were out. Strange team choice today.
KenH

Postby black morse » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:03 pm

Jim's got a cunning plan ;)
black morse

Postby Kendalshrimp » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:25 pm

Seasider9601 wrote:"Can't finish to save his life" ????

He's scored over 50 goals for us alone!

Ok, he was well off the pace today admittedly and should have been subbed but, no need to tarnish him with that brush. Desperately unlucky in the first half and, bar an outstanding save from the Cobblers keeper would have netted a belter.

Since Ellison went out the starting line up we went on a 5 game unbeaten run. It's not rocket science to see were a better side without him in the starting 11. Miller an mullin offer so much more to the team. It's embarrassing how much Kev gets caught offside every time he starts and his over all distribution to the game isn't good enough if we want to be successful this season.

Back to the defence it's time for Parrish to come back in along side Edwards. Dugdale looked dodgey at times for me today an looks very nervous on the ball. I'd also give McGowan a run in the side LB ahead of Wilson who was all over the place today worst player on the pitch at fault for the 2nd and 4th goal. Hopefully it's a bad day at the office and we can get back up an running against Oxford who are flying high at the minute.
Kendalshrimp

Postby g66k69 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:48 pm

Wether Jim sees something during training you can only comment what happens on match day, and from where we were stood (north terrace) Ellison doesn`t deserve to start. No place for sentiment, a puzzling team selection today, Jack Ryan what was the point of taking him on loan if he never gets a chance ?
g66k69

Postby Kendalshrimp » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:34 pm

My back four would be if everyone was fit. Beeley Edwards Parrish Wilson. It's time for Jim to stick with this for the next 6 games it's no good swapping am changing the defence as well never get the balance we had last season. Do worry for Wilson tho he was awful on Saturday and at fault for the 2nd an 4th goal for me. I know he's had his problems off the field last season but if we was guna change anything then it would be taking Wilson out for mcgowan or molyneux.
Kendalshrimp

Postby RealShrimpThing » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:46 pm

Kendalshrimp wrote:The problem for me today were Beely an Wilson. Their wingers had too much time and space on the ball and got skinned by Northamptons wingers nearly every time they came forward. Wilson for me is really worrying and couldn't find a pass what so ever today needs to be taken out for next week. I'd also bring Parrish in along side Edwards as their the two we had success with last season and will become solid once again if giving a run of games together.

Not sure if this is a joke, or case of mistaken identity. Beeley (wears the shirt with 2 on the back) was solid as always.

Never play Ellison again? Fair enough for people to debate him starting every game, but that's a bit of a statement. Is there any thought in what keys your fingers are pressing?
RealShrimpThing

Postby Kendalshrimp » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:27 pm

RealShrimpThing wrote:

Not sure if this is a joke, or case of mistaken identity. Beeley (wears the shirt with 2 on the back) was solid as always.

Never play Ellison again? Fair enough for people to debate him starting every game, but that's a bit of a statement. Is there any thought in what keys your fingers are pressing?

Okay I went abit far saying don't play him again but I wouldn't play him from the start for a while now and most of the people on the forum agree with this ! Beeley wasn't solid Saturday he had an off day as did most of the team. The first goal came from his side not saying he's to blame but they had a lot of success coming down the wings on Saturday. Wilson was the worst player on the pitch also !
Kendalshrimp

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:56 pm

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought this was a topic about the defence not Ellison starting or not starting
Blackpool Shrimp

Postby RealShrimpThing » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:54 pm

Kendalshrimp wrote:
RealShrimpThing wrote:

Okay I went abit far saying don't play him again but I wouldn't play him from the start for a while now and most of the people on the forum agree with this ! Beeley wasn't solid Saturday he had an off day as did most of the team. The first goal came from his side not saying he's to blame but they had a lot of success coming down the wings on Saturday. Wilson was the worst player on the pitch also !

Their first goal came from our right yes, but it was after a corner from the left cleared the box. Beeley remained in the box whilst Wildig closed down the man on the right. Wilson struggled, but Beeley was solid for me.
RealShrimpThing

Postby KenH » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:26 pm

I don't think Beeley is up to his usual high standard this season so far. Last season he was regularly getting MOTM and deservedly so. This season, he's been alright, but the spark just isn't there. He looks to be just going through the motions rather than his heart being in it. Hope it's just temporary and perhaps a rest may help.
KenH

Postby Kendalshrimp » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:19 pm

Beeleys been out for a couple weeks so maybe he wasn't match fit. Wilson also missed a couple games too but his passing has been awful for some time now. Over hit crosses and mistakes what lead to goals he's the one I'm worried about most. If I was Jim I'd see how he is the next 6 games and if he doesn't improve then try getting a LB on loan as we don't really have another one in the squad who's natural position is there !
Kendalshrimp

Postby steve mfc » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:38 pm

Unfortunately everyone in our defence had a poor game on Saturday and when that happens there's only going to be one outcome, but let's not forget you defend as a team and because we are playing with a midfield with more attack minded players this season then the opposition will get more scorring opportunities so i wasn't that surprised with what happened on Saturday it has been coming.

However it is something which can be worked at on the training pitch, yes we need to deal with balls into the box better but we also need to stop the ball getting there in the first place.

Entertaining football comes with a price but would i like to see us go back to the way we played last season definitely not, we've had more entertainment allready than in the whole of last season.
steve mfc

Postby Sammy h » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:58 pm

I hate to say it because I love the lad, but Wildig was at fault for the first goal. How he let their lad cross it is beyond me. Could've been easily blocked.

We just had an off day at the back. Beeley and Wilson are our strongest full backs, I prefer Molly in a more attacking role, rather than the suggestions so far to stick him in for Wilson.

We will come good at the back.
Sammy h

Postby halfwayprawn » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:47 am

On his day Willow is a good defender,but on saturday he was not with it and seemed to have something else on his mind. When A/J came on you could see the difference,much sharper and quicker and in turn will be challenging him for that position.
halfwayprawn

Postby Phil Anderer » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:13 am

I think Willo is the best left back we've had in the time I've been watching the club, but Saturday he just had a mare. We all have bad days, so let's just hope this was his, on a day when none of the defence covered themselves with glory and we would probably have lost anyway.

Onwards and upwards.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Return to General Discussion