O/T Labour leadership vote

Re: O/T Labour leadership vote

Postby SolentShrimp » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:40 am

This is why I wouldn't trust Labour leader or Labour party, and together with all the bureaucratic layers of managers, are the main reasons why the NHS is in such a mess. Say for example your annual budget is £100m, but before you can spend a penny on anything useful you must first of all repay £40m as part of an enduring PFI contract...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/8225864/Labours-PFI-debt-will-cost-five-times-as-much-Conservatives-claim.html

This is nothing short of criminal...

Under the terms of the PFI deals struck by Labour, taxpayers are due to pay £245 billion by the 2047/48 financial year. However, the 544 projects involved cost only £51.5 billion to build.

George Osborne, the Chancellor, recently told how he was informed that under the Treasury’s PFI service contract signed by Labour, the cost of supplying a Christmas tree to the Treasury stood at £900, despite being sold by the retailer B&Q for only £40.

A few months earlier, he had been told that the PFI contractor would charge £148.58 to provide a fish and chip lunch for six in his private office. In the end, Mr Osborne, Mervyn King, the Governor of the Bank of England, and their team ate the same lunch in the Treasury canteen for £32.88.

Hospitals have complained that PFI service contracts mean that they have to pay up to £333 to have a light bulb changed.

A hospital in Hereford was charged £963 to have a new television aerial, and a school £1,000 for a computer desk which normally retails at £200.
We all have Human Rights, but they come with Human Responsibilities. Ignore the latter and you risk losing the rights to the former.

People who campaign for equality and freedom of speech amaze me. Disagree with them, and you'll be shouted down.
SolentShrimp

Postby Christies Child » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:22 am

SolentShrimp wrote:This is why I wouldn't trust Labour leader or Labour party, and together with all the bureaucratic layers of managers, are the main reasons why the NHS is in such a mess. Say for example your annual budget is £100m, but before you can spend a penny on anything useful you must first of all repay £40m as part of an enduring PFI contract...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/8225864/Labours-PFI-debt-will-cost-five-times-as-much-Conservatives-claim.html

Under the terms of the PFI deals struck by Labour, taxpayers are due to pay £245 billion by the 2047/48 financial year. However, the 544 projects involved cost only £51.5 billion to build.

George Osborne, the Chancellor, recently told how he was informed that under the Treasury’s PFI service contract signed by Labour, the cost of supplying a Christmas tree to the Treasury stood at £900, despite being sold by the retailer B&Q for only £40.

A few months earlier, he had been told that the PFI contractor would charge £148.58 to provide a fish and chip lunch for six in his private office. In the end, Mr Osborne, Mervyn King, the Governor of the Bank of England, and their team ate the same lunch in the Treasury canteen for £32.88.

Hospitals have complained that PFI service contracts mean that they have to pay up to £333 to have a light bulb changed.

A hospital in Hereford was charged £963 to have a new television aerial, and a school £1,000 for a computer desk which normally retails at £200.

I heard about this from my wife who works at the Kendal Hospital. Bloody ridiculous...Come on Keith your thoughts please.... :?: :?: :?:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Keith » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:35 pm

Christies Child wrote:I heard about this from my wife who works at the Kendal Hospital. Bloody ridiculous...Come on Keith your thoughts please.... :?: :?: :?:

Yup, New Labour bollocks to keep debt off the balance sheet. Some bloody awful deals for the country, although at least there are some decent schools & hospital buildings. New Labour=Tory Light. Anyone who's read my posts knows I'm far from being a fan of the war criminal that was in charge back then.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby mrpotatohead » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:53 pm

What has a future left wing labour party, led by Corbyn, got to do with Blairs lies and misdeeds?

Blair actually has a lot more in common with Cameron, does anyone think for one second that the present government, THAT STEALS MONEY INSTEAD OF WASTING IT, is any better?
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby SolentShrimp » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:13 am

Keith wrote:Yup, New Labour bollocks to keep debt off the balance sheet. Some bloody awful deals for the country, although at least there are some decent schools & hospital buildings.

Not much point having top of the range facilities, if you can't afford the day-to-day running costs or provide a proper service due to crippling enduring PFI contract payments.

A bit like buying a Rolls Royce on the never never over 30 years at a Wonga rate of interest, but not being able from day one to afford to put fuel in it, insure it, or maintain it.

Fiscal incompetence on a mammoth scale. Labour should never get anywhere near the Tax Payers cheque book again!
We all have Human Rights, but they come with Human Responsibilities. Ignore the latter and you risk losing the rights to the former.

People who campaign for equality and freedom of speech amaze me. Disagree with them, and you'll be shouted down.
SolentShrimp

Postby Phil Anderer » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:19 am

SolentShrimp wrote:This is why I wouldn't trust Labour leader or Labour party, and together with all the bureaucratic layers of managers, are the main reasons why the NHS is in such a mess. Say for example your annual budget is £100m, but before you can spend a penny on anything useful you must first of all repay £40m as part of an enduring PFI contract...

I might be wrong, but having been peripherally involved in PFI in the early days as a lowly minion, and having subsequently worked in Facilities Management, I would expect those apparently vastly inflated costs to included the ongoing planned maintenance and cleaning packages, and not be smply the cost of repaying debt. I might be wrong though - it has been known to happen! :? :lol:
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby Posh » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:34 am

Phil Anderer wrote:

I might be wrong, but having been peripherally involved in PFI in the early days as a lowly minion, and having subsequently worked in Facilities Management, I would expect those apparently vastly inflated costs to included the ongoing planned maintenance and cleaning packages, and not be smply the cost of repaying debt. I might be wrong though - it has been known to happen! :? :lol:

Oh Phil. Just as I was despairing reading this thread - a voice of sanity.

I'm not defending PFI deals but the contract was to build the hospital, maintain the building and provide all the soft maintenance, such as cleaning, gardening and effectively hand it over in the state they built it. Those contracts cost money. And the Tories are the ones driving even further costly outsourcing.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Phil Anderer » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:32 pm

Posh wrote:
Phil Anderer wrote:

Oh Phil. Just as I was despairing reading this thread - a voice of sanity.

I'm not defending PFI deals but the contract was to build the hospital, maintain the building and provide all the soft maintenance, such as cleaning, gardening and effectively hand it over in the state they built it. Those contracts cost money. And the Tories are the ones driving even further costly outsourcing.

Me, sane? :o Mrs A's gonna have a giggle at that. :lol: Oh, and apologies to the Daily Snail readers for attempting to talk common sense (not really :twisted: ).
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby SolentShrimp » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:07 am

Surely the Unions wouldn't do this...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3210801/40-000-union-activists-caught-voting-twice-Fears-grow-validity-Labour-s-leader-race.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

How much damage are Labour trying to do to themselves?

Run the country? They couldn't run a raffle. :lol:

I'm sure Russell Brand will make a joke out of it?

SolentShrimp

Postby Freez » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:47 am

Yes, but it's being reported in right wing pensioner daily, so validity is a question? :D
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby SolentShrimp » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:59 am

OK brother, remember the plan, vote early and vote often! :lol:

SolentShrimp

Postby SupermarketShrimp » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:08 pm

A terrible voting system brought in an ill thought out knee jerk reaction to a foul up in Falkirk, which will vote for a leader none of his MP's wish to see in charge and a few have said that they cannot work with, who can't win them an election,and policies he cannot deliver.

And people would like them in charge of the country.

Okaaaayyyyyyyyyy.
SupermarketShrimp

Previous

Return to General Discussion