Anyone going to Pompey [or Vietnam soon O/T]

Anyone going to Pompey [or Vietnam soon O/T]

Postby SolentShrimp » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:26 am

If you plan to be at Fratton Park this Saturday, then a good friendly place for pre or post-match is the Ship Anson pub on The Hard. It's very friendly, guaranteed to have a few Pompey supporters in there, and the lunchtime match on Sky Sports. It won't be crowded and service is quick...

http://gkpubs.co.uk/pubs-in-portsmouth/ship-anson-pub/

Trip Advisor reviews...

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186298-d4242072-Reviews-Ship_Anson-Portsmouth_Hampshire_England.html

In the same area, and only a couple of minutes walk is Gunwharf Quays, with plenty of shops and places to eat and drink. But a pint will be twice the price of the Ship Anson. There's a posh marina inside Gunwharf Quays, where you watch all the comings and goings into and out of Pompey Harbour.

The Ship Anson is also right opposite to Pompey's Historic Naval Dockyard. It's a fascinating place, free to walk around, but obviously you have to queue and pay for tickets to get on attractions like HMS VICTORY, HMS WARRIOR, and the Mary Rose.

For getting to the match from The Hard, it's a simple case of jumping on any train. Portsmouth Harbour train station is right opposite The Ship Anson. Takes 6 minutes, and all trains stop at Fratton Park station, and then a 10 minute walk. Alternatively the No.1 bus from opposite the Ship Anson stops v.close to Fratton Park [takes 15 minutes]. A taxi from the Ship Anson will cost about £7.

Have a good trip. :)
Last edited by SolentShrimp on Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
We all have Human Rights, but they come with Human Responsibilities. Ignore the latter and you risk losing the rights to the former.

People who campaign for equality and freedom of speech amaze me. Disagree with them, and you'll be shouted down.
SolentShrimp

Re: For anyone going to Pompey

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:11 am

Will you and Doris be there then, Peter? Havn't seen you for ages...
Just asking so we can be in a different pub
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby SolentShrimp » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:06 am

Doris won't be, and I keep changing my mind.

I'm giving my liver a rest at the moment, as I've got a month of this to suffer...

http://www.travelfish.org/eatandmeet_profile/vietnam/central_vietnam/quang_nam/hoi_an/2340

...starting in 10 days time. It's about 30,000 dong to a £, so beer doesn't come much cheaper than that.:o

Hope it a good game, a deserved 3 points, and a happy drive back up north.
We all have Human Rights, but they come with Human Responsibilities. Ignore the latter and you risk losing the rights to the former.

People who campaign for equality and freedom of speech amaze me. Disagree with them, and you'll be shouted down.
SolentShrimp

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:21 am

Hire a raft ;)
marky No.1

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:50 pm

£1.49 a pint
2015-08-21 20.41.41.jpg
2015-08-21 20.41.41.jpg (96.14 KiB) Viewed 662 times
marky No.1

Postby SolentShrimp » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:35 am

That's just changed my mind again.
Ship Anson @ 1200.
Beautiful blue sky, and warm already.
Should be a cracker. :D

SolentShrimp

Postby New_Ground_Watcher » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:42 am

Is that for a pint or a half? Two friends of mine went to watch Everton at Chelsea a couple of years ago and went into a pub for a drink. There was a blackboard behind the bar with a list of real ales on it all at £3.00. They ordered two pints and when the barmaid came back she asked for £12.00! It was £3.00 per half! :o
New_Ground_Watcher

Postby halfwayprawn » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:05 am

A more sensible price for a pint,much better than the 3.40 at the globe.
halfwayprawn

Postby marky No.1 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:21 am

New_Ground_Watcher wrote:Is that for a pint or a half? Two friends of mine went to watch Everton at Chelsea a couple of years ago and went into a pub for a drink. There was a blackboard behind the bar with a list of real ales on it all at £3.00. They ordered two pints and when the barmaid came back she asked for £12.00! It was £3.00 per half! :o

Heard about that, definately a pint for speckled hen.. In a wethers now and the same pint is £3.20.
After 6pm down here in town centre they all want your I.D.
marky No.1

Postby Keith » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:18 pm

SolentShrimp wrote:
I'm giving my liver a rest at the moment, as I've got a month of this to suffer...

http://www.travelfish.org/eatandmeet_profile/vietnam/central_vietnam/quang_nam/hoi_an/2340

...starting in 10 days time. It's about 30,000 dong to a £, so beer doesn't come much cheaper than that.:o

Hoi An is my favourite place on the entire planet! Lovely place. If you are in need of a new suit or Doris wants a new dress, this is the place to get one made to measure.

Slightly up-market for you, but if 'The Banana Leaf' is still there, by the quay, they did the best 'fresh spring roll' I've ever tasted!

We ended one evening in a bar playing pool with some locals. Don't remember that much :-)

Also found a 'bar' under the railway arches in Hanoi. 'Fresh beer' was about 40p a pint. A woman was sat on a plank with a barrel of beer and a syphoning tube that she kept her thumb over. We were the only non-locals and I'm not convinced she was pleased to see us! :roll: It was lovely beer though :D
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby SolentShrimp » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:56 am

Keith wrote:Hoi An is my favourite place on the entire planet!

We've got a week in Hoi An. We kick-off in HCMC (2 nights), short flight to Da Lat (5 nights), another short flight to Da Nang (4 nights), train to Hue (5 nights), bus or train/bus Hoi An (7 nights), and then fly to HCMC/Mekong Delta (4 nights). We don't like rushing around, so will leave Hanoi [and the north] until next year.

Keith wrote: Lovely place. If you are in need of a new suit or Doris wants a new dress, this is the place to get one made to measure.

I know, done my homework. But it's like buying practically anything in SE Asia, you tend to get what you pay for, and as well as some good quality stuff, there's also lots of rubbish. Fortunately, me and Doris aren't shoppers, and having spent donkeys years in uniform or collar and tie, the only suit I wear these days is to go to bed in. :lol:

Keith wrote:Slightly up-market for you, but if 'The Banana Leaf' is still there, by the quay, they did the best 'fresh spring roll' I've ever tasted!

Mixed reviews on TA...

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant ... vince.html

I'll check out the toilets and have a peek into the kitchen before deciding whether it's too upmarket or not. :lol:

Keith wrote:We ended one evening in a bar playing pool with some locals. Don't remember that much :-)

Also found a 'bar' under the railway arches in Hanoi. 'Fresh beer' was about 40p a pint. A woman was sat on a plank with a barrel of beer and a syphoning tube that she kept her thumb over. We were the only non-locals and I'm not convinced she was pleased to see us! :roll: It was lovely beer though :D

I fear we'll be doing far too much of that! ;)

SolentShrimp

Postby Keith » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:05 am

No Mekong Delta? That was stunning.

SolentShrimp wrote:We've got a week in Hoi An.

While you are there, you may want to consider a trip to My Lai? The visit I did was one of the strangest days of my life, on lots of different levels.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/iom_keith ... 439605782/

More than ten years ago! :o :shock: :o :shock:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:28 am

Good morning..
Should this not be in the anyone going to Vietnam thread.
marky No.1

Postby SolentShrimp » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:58 am

marky No.1 wrote:Should this not be in the anyone going to Vietnam thread.

It is now, sort of ;)
I bet you're looking forward to my daily rambling trip reports. :lol:

SolentShrimp

Postby SolentShrimp » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:14 am

Keith wrote:No Mekong Delta? That was stunning.

We are. During our final 4 nights in HCMC.

Keith wrote:While you are there, you may want to consider a trip to My Lai? The visit I did was one of the strangest days of my life, on lots of different levels.

It's on the agenda as a day trip from Hoi An. Quite a lot of differing views and opinions on the following...

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic- ... vince.html

But as we've done The Killing Fields and S21 in Phnom Penh, Thai-Burma WWII stuff in and around Kanchanaburi, Changi Memorials in Singapore, Sandakan Death March in Sabah (Borneo), Bali Bombing memorial, and loads of Commonwealth War sites along the way, then it'll just be another place to witness the human brutality against other humans. Shame we never learn.

SolentShrimp

Return to General Discussion