Sheff UTD admission

Re: Sheff UTD admission

Postby marky No.1 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:47 pm

Why thank you Sir.
An offer has been made but respectfully declined. It didn't make the reserve price at the Gala Draw either :(
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby KenH » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:42 pm

Christies Child wrote:.I find it hard to accept that our town team can't attract the numbers especially when we look over the water towards Barrow...but maybe it's partially due to the fact that Morecambe hasn't any industry to speak of and therefore the public just don't have money in their pockets....

It's not lack of money, it's lack of football supporters, who are predominantly white male working class. Many local workers are public sector (health & education) which seem to be the biggest employers, are not your typical football supporter. Chavs and OAPs are also unlikely to be football supporters. The demographics just don't work in the club's favour, nor does the lack of population outside the immediate area within convenient transport time/distance.

It will take years to build up supporter numbers which is why I am 100% behind the Board with it's initiatives to get the next generation interested by their free kids tickets and free season tickets for secondary school 5th years, and of course their junior coaching/teams etc. For whatever reason, a lot of previous supporters have drifted away - it is what it is - most will never come back but some will come back whenever they feel it's right (whether that's a good cup run, play off finals, cheap deals or whatever). But emotional blackmail certainly won't work which is why the negativity and constant whingeing about lack of local support is pointless and probably does more harm than good.
KenH

Postby George Dawes » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:41 pm

KenH wrote:
Christies Child wrote:.I find it hard to accept that our town team can't attract the numbers especially when we look over the water towards Barrow...but maybe it's partially due to the fact that Morecambe hasn't any industry to speak of and therefore the public just don't have money in their pockets....

It's not lack of money, it's lack of football supporters, who are predominantly white male working class. Many local workers are public sector (health & education) which seem to be the biggest employers, are not your typical football supporter. Chavs and OAPs are also unlikely to be football supporters. The demographics just don't work in the club's favour, nor does the lack of population outside the immediate area within convenient transport time/distance.

Barrow shipyard just like Heysham Power stations 1&2, have a very large number of people who work there who are not local, you get a hell of a lot of workers(mainly contractors) who travel from out of town on a daily and weekly basis, and could not give a hoot about the local football team.
George Dawes

Postby BoroRedShrimp » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:46 pm

KenH wrote:

It will take years to build up supporter numbers which is why I am 100% behind the Board with it's initiatives to get the next generation interested by their free kids tickets and free season tickets for secondary school 5th years, and of course their junior coaching/teams etc. For whatever reason, a lot of previous supporters have drifted away - it is what it is - most will never come back but some will come back whenever they feel it's right (whether that's a good cup run, play off finals, cheap deals or whatever). But emotional blackmail certainly won't work which is why the negativity and constant whingeing about lack of local support is pointless and probably does more harm than good.

I think people within the NHS and Education do come to football whenever they get time off. My family does and they both work in the NHS and Education. It will be a lot of things why people have no interest. £20 may not seem a lot but to some who have no job it is. We could do like Bury & a few clubs and offer rates for people on job seekers. We could offer discount to the NHS as well. Many things we can offer to attract larger gates. The Carling Cup gates do seem to be low at most matches you only have to look at Crewe's at just over 2K last night.
Profile picture; James Stannage.
BoroRedShrimp

Postby Wild Bill » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:24 pm

Should have done a deal for these three home games in a week. I fear that we may get even less home fans through the gates for the two league games coming up. Its not just about pounds, shillings and pence, its about the overall matchday experience for fans, giving the team a boost, building a long-term fanbase etc.

Its worrying that we can't get hospitality customers too. Perhaps we are charging too much or not targeting the right people? Perhaps we need to look at the overall experience being offered? I bit of direct marketing to Sheffield Utd fans would have bought some results if necessary.

Its embarrassing that we can't even get a sponsor for a derby match against Stanley. Again are we charging too much or not trying hard enough to build relationships with local businesses?

Lots of valid points about why we will always struggle to massively increase our crowds, but like has been also said, we seem to be losing fans season-on-season. For me need to get the basics right off the field.

What pissed me off the other night was having to walk to the opposite end of the Omega to get in and queuing for ten mins for a dozen or so to get through the turnstile. When someone asked a group of stewards stood chatting at the gate why the other turnstile was closed, they said 'its for season tickets'. I then said it was a cup game and they looked confused! Turned out the kid on the turnstile was paying out change in 20ps.
Wild Bill

Postby black morse » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:28 pm

BoroRedShrimp wrote:
KenH wrote:

I think people within the NHS and Education do come to football whenever they get time off. My family does and they both work in the NHS and Education. It will be a lot of things why people have no interest. £20 may not seem a lot but to some who have no job it is. We could do like Bury & a few clubs and offer rates for people on job seekers. We could offer discount to the NHS as well. Many things we can offer to attract larger gates. The Carling Cup gates do seem to be low at most matches you only have to look at Crewe's at just over 2K last night.

Why the NHS?
black morse

Postby George Dawes » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:27 am

think one factor with a lot of it is. this with people not associating themselves with Morecambe as a town

errr I don't live in Morecambe errr Heysham

errr I don't live in Morecambe errr Bare

Scale Hall, Torrisholme and so on

some people see supporting a football club like a fashion accessory, i think its sad personally.
George Dawes

Postby BoroRedShrimp » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:14 am

black morse wrote:
KenH wrote:

Why the NHS?

Because they do a good job saving lives. :? In my opinion they deserve it like anybody else whether they work long hours & are on good pay. Emergency services risk their own lives so I have no problem to allow them discount. If it also gets a few more bums on seats, then yes it would be a good idea. The word can sometimes get round if students are training at Lancaster Infirmary or any other hospital within the area, maybe even put a poster outside the car parks to attract visitors as well. The only way the club will grow is the word of mouth with new or old people attending as well as other things within the community the club are doing at schools.
Profile picture; James Stannage.
BoroRedShrimp

Previous

Return to General Discussion