Perception vs Reality

Perception vs Reality

Postby Shrimpy » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:46 pm

A lot is made of needing to play free flowing, entertaining football and everyone seems overjoyed with yesterdays performance saying that it was much more like it.

However, we scored twice from set pieces and our third was the result of a long hoof up field from defence. The Luton game this season is also held up as an example of what we should aspire to but in that game all three of our goals came from set pieces.

I suppose my point is that winning games is much more important when it comes to keeping the fanbase happy rather than playing a certain style of football and people shouldnt be too hard on Jim and the players demanding we play in a certain style to provide "entertainment".
Shrimpy

Re: Perception vs Reality

Postby Kendalshrimp » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:29 pm

I totally agree with this, we made a lot more clear cut chances in other games at home this season but just haven't taken them. If one or two in each of them games go in an we win the match it wouldn't be all negative comments on here afterwards. But it's a results business n that's what matters most. The team as a whole did play a lot better yesterday tho regardless of how we scored the goals. The passing in midfield at times was brilliant between devitt an fleming!
Kendalshrimp

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:30 pm

Yes , but both corners came about from decent free flowing football.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby ShrimpMM » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:41 pm

I think it's quite clear we play better against teams who come to play expansive football and I believe that's because we do have a good footballing side. Unfortunately there are very few teams in our league who do go away to attack regardless of the opposition (ourselves included). For me there is too much emphasis on stopping teams playing then hitting them on the counter attack.

Yesterday was the most enjoyable and possibly the best first half performance I have seen from us at home this season and I believe that is down to the formation we played. Playing 4 at the back allowed us to have that extra creative head in midfield and lead to multiple chances being created which with a bit more composure in the final third would have seen us out of sight after the first 45. The midfield have taken a lot of stick this season and in some instances rightly so but I don't think they have been helped by the way we have set up.

Personally I'd have been happy coming away yesterday if we hadn't got the result just due to seeing us play exciting, attacking football with no fear. I do however understand your point that to most winning is more important than performance as ultimately our first goal each season is survival and agree that Jim should not take too much stick for this. I just hope that if we are to play 3/5 at the back this is kept for playing away and we do take a few more risks at home and give the fans something to get excited about.
ShrimpMM

Postby underbank » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:34 pm

ShrimpMM wrote:Personally I'd have been happy coming away yesterday if we hadn't got the result just due to seeing us play exciting, attacking football with no fear.

Likewise. We're never going to win every game, no-one expects that. BUT, a draw or loss is far easier to take if the match was actually good to watch. Not only S-vers, but also the local paper, radio reports, even Jim and Ken, have referred to recent poor and unacceptable performances. It's not all about the result. Though, yes, results are needed too. Yesterday, we were happy before Alex even scored - the difference in the play on the pitch was incredible and made for good entertainment, and that's what's needed ALONGSIDE results to get paying punters through the door - we need a bit of both more often than not to keep the numbers up.
underbank

Postby George Dawes » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:07 pm

just think if only we'd gone about games at home like this all season, If this fixture had been a few weeks ago we'd have been awful.

like a Mexican stand off.
George Dawes

Return to General Discussion