Lincoln Sign

Lincoln Sign

Postby nobbyshrimp » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:05 am

Lincoln City have just signed Geoff Horsfield who has been training with them for a few weeks now. He's no spring chicken as far as football is concerned (35) but is a tall striker(6ft) with a wealth of experience. Considering he is a vastly experienced striker he never really scored that many goals but what he did do well is play as a holding striker bringing others into the game.
After a short period at Wigan Athletic in 2003, he joined West Bromwich Albion, with whom he again won promotion to the Premier League. In 2006, he moved to Sheffield United, but much of his time there was spent on loan to other clubs, namely Leeds United, Leicester City and Scunthorpe United. Horsfield announced his retirement from football in 2008 after being diagnosed with testicular cancer but has returned to football after being given the all clear.

Worth a gamble? Not sure but I am glad someone has given him the chance to prove himself once again. Personally, I would like us to get together with Blackburn more and possibly sign some of their youngsters on loan as Wycome and Shrewsbury both do regularly but maybe their managers have closer links with Premier league clubs?
nobbyshrimp

Re: Lincoln Sign

Postby Christies Child » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:15 am

[quote="nobbyshrimp"]Lincoln City have just signed Geoff Horsfield who has been training with them for a few weeks now. He's no spring chicken as far as football is concerned (35) but is a tall striker(6ft) with a wealth of experience. Considering he is a vastly experienced striker he never really scored that many goals but what he did do well is play as a holding striker bringing others into the game.
After a short period at Wigan Athletic in 2003, he joined West Bromwich Albion, with whom he again won promotion to the Premier League. In 2006, he moved to Sheffield United, but much of his time there was spent on loan to other clubs, namely Leeds United, Leicester City and Scunthorpe United. Horsfield announced his retirement from football in 2008 after being diagnosed with testicular cancer but has returned to football after being given the all clear.

Worth a gamble? Not sure but I am glad someone has given him the chance to prove himself once again. Personally, I would like us to get together with Blackburn more and possibly sign some of their youngsters on loan as Wycome and Shrewsbury both do regularly but maybe their managers have closer links with Premier league clubs?[/quote]

Sammy hasn't done too badly in getting loanees from clubs in higher leagues to date, although not all have been a success.

I'm sure that his contacts are far greater than we've ever experienced as a club before and that this will benefit us going forward.

Loanees at any club are a gamble.

However I do agree with you about the Rovers link but that could be down to a number of factors that we are not aware of as supporters. Keith Tracey is one who I would like to see on loan with us, but maybe Rovers and others don't want to see their better prospects loaned to a club in League 2.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Return to General Discussion