Morecambe 1-0 Darlington

Re: Morecambe 1-0 Darlington

Postby shrimper » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:07 pm

ezz wrote:Sounds like Morecambe deserved the win today, which is very encouraging against a play-off side. Consistancy in these performances is now needed. Puts us in a good position for the match against Luton a win there and we'll have breathing space.

Ezz - I absolutely agree. But to be fair, if you take Notts County as a one-off (instead of today) then the performances HAVE been very consistent over the past few weeks.
That's why Meadow Lane was such a mystery.

I thought Wainwright and Yatesy were vying for MoM today with Drummy much improved (what a clever pass for the goal!), ditto Fraser and Stanners. Adams was solid as ever, as were Bents and Henry.

Roche is looking a very, very good keeper and the front two - as I've said recently - IF given the support from midfield, will trouble anyone in this league.

I still think we need two or three to ensure that consistency but with them we can ensure mid-table safety I'm convinced. Then have a look again in the summer if we can get a few more in to push on next season (or the one after, depending on finances).
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Sammy h » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:48 pm

shrimper wrote:
ezz wrote:Sounds like Morecambe deserved the win today, which is very encouraging against a play-off side. Consistancy in these performances is now needed. Puts us in a good position for the match against Luton a win there and we'll have breathing space.

Ezz - I absolutely agree. But to be fair, if you take Notts County as a one-off (instead of today) then the performances HAVE been very consistent over the past few weeks.
That's why Meadow Lane was such a mystery.

I thought Wainwright and Yatesy were vying for MoM today with Drummy much improved (what a clever pass for the goal!), ditto Fraser and Stanners. Adams was solid as ever, as were Bents and Henry.

Roche is looking a very, very good keeper and the front two - as I've said recently - IF given the support from midfield, will trouble anyone in this league.

I still think we need two or three to ensure that consistency but with them we can ensure mid-table safety I'm convinced. Then have a look again in the summer if we can get a few more in to push on next season (or the one after, depending on finances).

Spot on. Thats the thing, we have heard it many times before, but it's true. Anyone can beat anyone in this league, that's what makes it so good. Like Shrimper said if you take away last week, we are on a good little run at the moment. Sometimes we just lack that little bit of creativity in midfield.
Sammy h

Postby steve mfc » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:13 pm

Well deserved win, usually when we only have a one goal lead we end up hanging on especially as the game draws to an end. But against Darlington we were more than comfortable in fact we had the better chances even after we went in front.

We did to Darlington what teams have been doing to us all season and closed them down in their own half off the pitch. we didn't give them any time to play their way out of defence, forcing them into mistakes and giving us possession, this was something which we did very well last season and was one of the reasons we were so successful.

Wainwright played the way he did in preseason which made him most supporters tip to be our most effective signing, i hope it wasn't just to prove a point to Darlington, we need him to perform like that on a consistent basis.
steve mfc

Postby ezz » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:40 pm

I think most of the time when we go 1-0 up its generally the lack on concentration and not quality and ability that costs us goals. We know our defense can hold most teams in this league especially since McStay has come in. The two strikers DC and RH are extremely good we just lack the threat from the wings to take the attention off the strikers giving them the space to utilise their pace. Wingers and full backs should be on the shopping list, our spine is very strong
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Keith » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:02 pm

I thought we played extremely well yesterday and could have won by a larger margin except for a couple of good saves and a couple of half chances going over the top. We played it on the deck all match, in difficult conditions. A good win, thoroughly deserved! More next week please.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby North Stand Shrimp » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:52 am

admiral47 wrote:Although Wainright had one of his better games and he had lots of possession he does not deliver the final ball and for me lacks the pace to beat players outright, athough he has plenty of ball control and skill. By the time he got in a good position he is usually covered by two players. I would agree it would be good to have a left sided winger

Agree completely about Wainwright, he did work his socks off but if the final ball isn't being delivered it's to no avail, he all too often lacks the courage to run at players and brings the ball back inside and onto his right foot, thus losing our forward motion and giving them time to get back and defend.

Thought the first half was rubbish, but the second was very entertaining and like Keith says we could have won by a much bigger margin if it wasn't for their Keeper who pulled some off some great saves! simarly though, we could have been a couple down in the first half if it wasn't for McStay's two excellent peices of defending, a man of the match performance IMO.
North Stand Shrimp

Postby shrimper » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:27 pm

Even the first half was a big improvement on our display at Notts. Hope they can Bring us Sunshine for 'Eric day' on Saturday!
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Posh » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:50 pm

Agree with everyone that it was a good display, particularly second half.

For me Man of the Match was between Adam Yates, great performance up and down the wing, and Henry McStay, who had hardly put a foot wrong from start to finish. Our defence looks so much for these two. Jimbo works well in partnership with Henry, and the system really plays to Danny Adams strengths.

As much as Neil Wainwright was improved yesterday I would still prefer a wing-back on the left. In my opinion Michael Howard wouldn't have done the crazy back passes 'Wainers' did yesterday that could have cost us and is a better crosser of the ball. I can't remember a cross he did that got off the ground bar the one where he cut inside and then over hit it by about 15 yards.

Stewart Drummond caused them so many problems when he pushed up to support the front two and I'd like to see him to hit a lot more. Drummy's starting to show what he's really capable of and, if he can keep fit and gets more confident, he could make a massive impact in the second half of the season.

In January I'd like to see a natural left wing back / left winger brought in and, if Santa is feeling generous, either a striker or a creative midfielder (Deco maybe?).
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Previous

Return to General Discussion