Saturday's Referee

Saturday's Referee

Postby Number 1 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:18 pm

Jarnail Singh

A PCSO in West London, Jarnail started refereeing in Wolverhampton in 1985 he reached Class One status in 1990 and progressed through the Suburban and Southern Leagues to reach the National List of assistant referees in 2000 and the National List of Referees in 2004. He is married with two children and enjoys watching all sports. Refereed the Southern League Cup Final in 1999 and the National League Systems Cup Final in 2004

How did you get introduced into refereeing?

I used to be a manager of a youth team in the midlands and as is so often the case there was nobody to run the line. I ended up the flag in my hand and then thought it would be nice to know the laws of the game, so I decided to take the referees exam. I did this to help my youth team and had no inclination at the time of becoming a referee.

What has been the highlight of your career so far?

Opening the letter from the football league saying that I had been promoted onto the national list of referees and winning The Southern League Referee of the Year award for the 3rd consecutive year. This has not been achieved by any other referee.

What is the best game you have officiated and why?

All appointments are important as each other and I treat them all as though they are cup finals.

What are your aims as a National List Referee?

Aims are to referee as long as possible on the national list and to improve every year on my merit list banding's.

What skills do you think you need to become a referee?

These days fitness plays are great part with other factors such as man management, mental strength, calmness and law application.

Who has been the biggest influence in your career and why?

I would have to mention John Smith ex Middlesex/southern league referee and Laurence Jones chairman of the southern league Referee association. Both gave me great advice and encouragement whilst I was officiating on the southern league.

In your opinion who is/was the best referee?

Pierluigi Collina. Respected by majority of players, managers, spectators and fellow colleagues

Unless anyone can find a game later, the last time he refereed us was in Sept 2002 when we drew 1-1 at Barnet...
Number 1

Return to General Discussion