FA Cup replay date set

Re: FA Cup replay date set

Postby al1 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:14 pm

i would suggest that the club allow supporters to use the tickets given to us at the turnstiles yesterday as a £4 or £5 voucher towards purchases from the club shop.tickets are numbered and dated to avoid forgeries.would also stimulate sales in the shop.
al1

Postby Si Robin » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:23 pm

The decision to announce a replay date and admission prices was quick.. if one party was adamant that they should give a reduction to those that attended yesterdays match on production of a ticket stub , you'd expect some deliberation wouldn't you ?

According to our club secretary, the game was originally pencilled in for 09/12 but the FA called and asked for it to be moved to the coming Tuesday in order to get a replay in should it be necessary.

With regards to the prices, as has been stated before, both clubs would have been required to agree to the prices. Our team will have to make an 8 hour round trip 3 days after we've already done it. That will cost. In order for us to get at least a few fans there, our board have put on a couple of coaches to those who went to yesterday's game. Again, that wll cost. I appreciate it's harsh when you have paid once, but you have to look at the risk of reducing costs. A small reduction will not convince any more Cheltenham fans to attend than are going to pay full price so you already have the advantage of getting more people behind your team and already being at home, with your players being less leggy. As I've said previously, our board are renowned for their frugality, and I have no doubt that Paul Baker would never have agreed to a reduction.
Si Robin

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:35 pm

WOW! :?

Si Robin wrote:[According to our club secretary, the game was originally pencilled in for 09/12 but the FA called and asked for it to be moved to the coming Tuesday in order to get a replay in should it be necessary.

The 9th would have been the replay date if we had a draw after 90 minutes. The FA actually wanted us to replay the abandoned match this Wednesday 3rd but both clubs preferred to and agreed to play this Tuesday instead. Tuesday 9th will still be the date of the next replay in Cheltenham if we draw on Tuesday 2nd :o I think we should have penalties on the promenade if that happens cause none if us will be affording to pay for that one :!:

As to this Tuesday, those with ticket stubs should get a free beer AND a mince pie :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Si Robin » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:20 pm

marky No.1 wrote:As to this Tuesday, those with ticket stubs should get a free beer AND a mince pie :lol:

That could tempt me to make the trip :lol:
Si Robin

Postby Bare Ben » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:27 pm

I can understand charging full price for a replay, but this is not a proper replay. If common sense prevailed the game on tuesday would start from where it ended on saturday and those who had paid aren't charged anything. That way the people who went on saturday could see the conclusion and the ones that didnt could be charged. My point is it would be in the fans hands whether or not they want/can see the end of the game, the club still receives revenue from 1 set of 90 mins of football, and any extra from whoever didnt go on saturday.
Bare Ben

Postby Keith » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:34 pm

Mark S wrote:
Keith wrote:The suggestion by some that the club "never do anything for the fans" should consider that the price of getting in to watch the FA Cup match was probably the cheapest second round game in the first place. Certainly we are I believe the cheapest club to get in to for league matches. Perhaps the club could afford to reduce the prices at abandoned games if they charged £14 or more for the twenty-three league matches?

Si Robin's post, as someone not directly affected by this, covers the situation pretty well.

However, I do agree that 'how' the situation is managed could be better.

Keith you are missing the point. Whether the club could afford to reduce or couldnt is immaterial, it wasnt their choice ultimately.

Err, no Mark... YOU are missing the point by not reading the opening line of my post...

"The suggestion by some that the club "never do anything for the fans" should consider that the price of getting in to watch the FA Cup match was probably the cheapest second round game in the first place."

That isn't saying whether the price could or should be reduced, it is pointing out that the board DO consider the fans by charging the lowest prices in the first place. The people who were saying the club "don't do anything for the fans" might want to consider that some club's board charge fans 50% more than Morecambe's board charge for every game. Therefore, those fans who suggest that the club "never do anything for the fans" might consider the lack of a £4 discount on Tuesday is more than offset by the £3 reduction on average for every other game played at home over the season and therefore may recognise that the board do look after the Morecambe fans pretty well really.

As Campdave has demonstrated...

Now have I made my point a little clearer? :roll: ;) :lol: 8-)
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Mark S » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:46 pm

You might have been better leaving out this irrelavant sentence then?

Perhaps the club could afford to reduce the prices at abandoned games if they charged £14 or more for the twenty-three league matches?

It wasnt the Club's choice ultimately.
Mark S

Postby Keith » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:02 pm

Mark S wrote:It wasnt the Club's choice ultimately.

Is it an assumption that the club wanted to reduce the price but Cheltenham refused or did the club "agree" not to reduce the price? If you are telling us as a fact that the club wanted to reduce but weren't allowed, then fair enough, the sentence you quoted was superfluous.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Mark S » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:19 pm

Either way the statement I made is a perfectly reasonable one to make.

When both clubs have to agree on a reduction and either club have the power of veto then it is not the Clubs Choice ultimately. They do not have the unilateral power to impose any price without the other clubs agreement. If they cannot agree, normal prices apply.

For it to be announced so quickly, one of two things have happened. Both parties have, over a cigar (unlit of course) and brandy in the Boardroom agreed that it is a fantastic opportunity to fleece the proletariat whilst twisting their heavily waxed mustaches and laughing manically

or

We went to them and said "Look we were thinking of doing a reduction on Tuesday to recognise the financial outlay of our fans". and they said something like "Were you? No chance!" End of negotiations.

I would like to think it was the second scenario. ;)
Mark S

Postby skyecat » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:24 pm

i`m just catching up on the posts and haven`t read all the topics, but I have a couple of points:
Firstly - I also think that if you have a ticket form Saturday`s match, it could be classed as a £5 discount in the shop or something - in my mind, it would be a matter of principle, rather than economics and I would more than likely buy something from the shop when I might not have ordinarily have done so - giving yet more money to the club - not less.

Why were we told to keep the tickets? - they have no value at all. Surely the possible scenario of the match being called off, had been mooted with the directors before the game anyway? - Someone told the gate staff to tell the fans to keep the tickets - WHY?

We were talking about the eventuality of the game and I was under the impression that if a game gets called off after 60 minutes, the score stands... thus making the outcome a draw and the next (and final) game to be played at Cheltenham? - and not, a replay of Saturdays game at Christie Park.

Am I missing something?
The best mind-altering drug is the truth - Lily Tomlin
skyecat

Postby outsider » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:31 pm

Mark S wrote:Either way the statement I made is a perfectly reasonable one to make.

When both clubs have to agree on a reduction and either club have the power of veto then it is not the Clubs Choice ultimately. They do not have the unilateral power to impose any price without the other clubs agreement. If they cannot agree, normal prices apply.

For it to be announced so quickly, one of two things have happened. Both parties have, over a cigar (unlit of course) and brandy in the Boardroom agreed that it is a fantastic opportunity to fleece the proletariat whilst twisting their heavily waxed mustaches and laughing manically

or

We went to them and said "Look we were thinking of doing a reduction on Tuesday to recognise the financial outlay of our fans". and they said something like "Were you? No chance!" End of negotiations.

or 3 rdly they said how about cheaper tickets and our board said no, that is possible isn't it???
as much as we would like to think not
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Postby Phoenix » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:38 pm

Why were we told to keep the tickets?

Already answered but to save you looking back the announcement was read from a script. At the time no one knew what the arrangements would be. If you hadn't been told to keep your ticket, threw it away then found out it would have got you discount on Tuesday you'd have been fairly annoyed.

Someone told the gate staff to tell the fans to keep the tickets - WHY?

I'm not enturely sure the gate staff were told to say anything, who do think the Someone is? Given the weather though it might have been good advice, as above.
Phoenix

Postby Pandashrimp » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:49 pm

Mark S wrote:We went to them and said "Look we were thinking of doing a reduction on Tuesday to recognise the financial outlay of our fans". and they said something like "Were you? No chance!" End of negotiations.

If Droylsden can agree to take a huge loss in ticket sales from their replay than i cannot believe we could not have negotiated something for our fans
Pandashrimp

Postby Lloydie » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:51 pm

Well it means I can make a rare game this season as can't make many Saturdays.....

I'll even splash out on a beanie to keep me warm
Lloydie

Postby Mark S » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:54 pm

Pandashrimp wrote:
Mark S wrote:We went to them and said "Look we were thinking of doing a reduction on Tuesday to recognise the financial outlay of our fans". and they said something like "Were you? No chance!" End of negotiations.

If Droylsden can agree to take a huge loss in ticket sales from their replay than i cannot believe we could not have negotiated something for our fans

Last time and then I give up, I promise.

If Cheltenham were resolute in their stance, we do not have anywhere to negotiate.

Ask your self what Cheltenham would gain with us dropping prices?
Mark S

Postby Keith » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:57 pm

skyecat wrote:We were talking about the eventuality of the game and I was under the impression that if a game gets called off after 60 minutes, the score stands... thus making the outcome a draw and the next (and final) game to be played at Cheltenham? - and not, a replay of Saturdays game at Christie Park.

Am I missing something?

Yes, you are missing something, such as the FA Rules regarding matches being abandoned. It has to go to the end of the match, so even abandoned on the 89th minute would result in it being replayed.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby skyecat » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:09 pm

Keith wrote:
skyecat wrote:We were talking about the eventuality of the game and I was under the impression that if a game gets called off after 60 minutes, the score stands... thus making the outcome a draw and the next (and final) game to be played at Cheltenham? - and not, a replay of Saturdays game at Christie Park.

Am I missing something?

Yes, you are missing something, such as the FA Rules regarding matches being abandoned. It has to go to the end of the match, so even abandoned on the 89th minute would result in it being replayed.

Cheers for that Keith - must have mis understood something somewhere!
The best mind-altering drug is the truth - Lily Tomlin
skyecat

Previous

Return to General Discussion