Saturday's Referee

Saturday's Referee

Postby Number 1 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:26 pm

Simon Hooper

Simon was appointed to the National List in the summer of 2008

How did you get introduced into refereeing?

I came into refereeing at fifteen years of age after getting an injury that impacted my playing days so decided to try refereeing to keep my involvement. I went to a referee’s course and found I really enjoyed it and haven’t stopped since.

What has been the highlight of your career so far?

My recent appointment to the National List of Referees is obviously the highlight to date, but every promotion in refereeing has given me great satisfaction.

What is the best game you have officiated and why?

Two games spring to mind in the last season; when I refereed the Setanta Shield final and refereeing my first FA Cup 1st Round Fixture at Exeter.

What are your aims as a National List Referee?

I always set myself targets to progress and my short term target is to referee my first Championship game. Longer term, my aim is to become a Select Group referee.

What skills do you think you need to become a referee?

To become a good referee you need, resilience, confidence, personality, knowledge of the laws of the game, fitness and an ability to combine technical skills with the appropriate man management skills.

Who has been the biggest influence in your career and why?

At different levels I have been fortunate enough to have the support from a wide variety of people - initially from county officials and officers.

As I have progressed into the national structure both the FA and the PGMO coaches have provided invaluable support and guidance. Finally my family and friends have always been there for me when needed, in both good and bad times.

In your opinion who is/was the best referee?

There have been so many good officials that it’s hard to choose one, however one who springs to mind is Paul Durkin (or so he keeps telling me).
Number 1

Re: Saturday's Referee

Postby John L » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:34 pm

John L

Return to General Discussion