Expectation level has to be sensible - give Jimbo time!

Expectation level has to be sensible - give Jimbo time!

Postby Bryan » Thu May 26, 2011 10:18 am

Great forum last night. Packed out. Seemed more there than for some games at The Globe last season! Better atmosphere too!!! Like the Chairman said it seems to have galvanised the club. However Rome wasn't built in a day.

It will take time for these changes to take effect. Players aren't suddenly going to become 'Arnie' style body builders overnight like at Chavs Borough this season. Will also need some luck in getting in the type's of player he's seeking. Fixture lists can also be cruel when they come out in regards to getting off to a flyer.

However i'm a firm believer in that it's the extra 2 or 3 percent every game that makes the difference between play-offs and relegation battles. Clearly Jimbo realises this as over 46 games that 2 or 3 percent becomes a big margin. We will be organised, fit, competetive and (thank god) be exploiting set pieces once more.

Nice too that he's also thinking about psychological stuff like the tarting up the ground and making the opposing dressing rooms less friendly. Again it all adds up over a season. For me though i just hope that the expectancy level isn't too crazy. Yes lets aim as high as poss. That's the whole point surely. But there will be times when things go wrong (bloody refs etc.) and injuries, all the things sometimes beyond control.

At such times we will need to patient. This is a tough League - and getting tougher by the season. Be realistic. It will take time for Jimbo to get his feet under the table. Get used to the job. As fans we need to give him that space and back him. If we do we can go on some fantastic footie adventures once more with Jimbo and co. FA Cup run anyone?
Bryan

Re: Expectation level has to be sensible - give Jimbo time!

Postby P/T Indie » Thu May 26, 2011 10:57 am

We will be organised, fit, competetive and (thank god) be exploiting set pieces once more.

Sounds like Ken has a few tricks up his sleeve when it comes to set pieces he has plans and everything :o

What with that on top of individual training programmes the players will think they have returned to a different club :D
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Curly » Thu May 26, 2011 1:11 pm

Bryan wrote:Great forum last night. Packed out. Seemed more there than for some games at The Globe last season! Better atmosphere too!!! Like the Chairman said it seems to have galvanised the club. However Rome wasn't built in a day.

It will take time for these changes to take effect. Players aren't suddenly going to become 'Arnie' style body builders overnight like at Chavs Borough this season. Will also need some luck in getting in the type's of player he's seeking. Fixture lists can also be cruel when they come out in regards to getting off to a flyer.

However i'm a firm believer in that it's the extra 2 or 3 percent every game that makes the difference between play-offs and relegation battles. Clearly Jimbo realises this as over 46 games that 2 or 3 percent becomes a big margin. We will be organised, fit, competetive and (thank god) be exploiting set pieces once more.

Nice too that he's also thinking about psychological stuff like the tarting up the ground and making the opposing dressing rooms less friendly. Again it all adds up over a season. For me though i just hope that the expectancy level isn't too crazy. Yes lets aim as high as poss. That's the whole point surely. But there will be times when things go wrong (bloody refs etc.) and injuries, all the things sometimes beyond control.

At such times we will need to patient. This is a tough League - and getting tougher by the season. Be realistic. It will take time for Jimbo to get his feet under the table. Get used to the job. As fans we need to give him that space and back him. If we do we can go on some fantastic footie adventures once more with Jimbo and co. FA Cup run anyone?

Great post. I really hope everyone does give jim some time as i know he has all our best
interests at heart. Can't wait til August :D
YOU ALWAYS WAS AND YOU ALWAYS WAS BE!!!

Curly

Postby ezz » Thu May 26, 2011 2:08 pm

I hope we don't give him time when it comes to support. First home game, big attendance, massive noise from the MBW stand all game and continue it all season.

No excuses to not get behind the team and manager as one now!
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby steve mfc » Thu May 26, 2011 2:54 pm

ezz wrote:I hope we don't give him time when it comes to support. First home game, big attendance, massive noise from the MBW stand all game and continue it all season.

The support should always be behind the team and management, unfortunately if things don't work out with Jimbo then the people who turned on Sammy will probably be the first to turn on Jimbo.
steve mfc

Postby black morse » Thu May 26, 2011 3:27 pm

steve mfc wrote:
ezz wrote:I hope we don't give him time when it comes to support. First home game, big attendance, massive noise from the MBW stand all game and continue it all season.

The support should always be behind the team and management, unfortunately if things don't work out with Jimbo then the people who turned on Sammy will probably be the first to turn on Jimbo.

Whilst I agree that if things go badly wrong many fans will eventually start expressing their dissatisfaction, that's inevitable. We all believe we know who we'd like to be in the team and how we'd like them to play.

However, Jim is a different boss to Sammy. He's more open and has always had great raport with the fans. His style and personality are very different and I think we know he'll give 100%+ and demand the same from the players. The existing players know that and he is going to make that clear to anyone he brings in. We can't ask for more.

The vast majority will give him the time he needs.
black morse

Postby shrimper » Thu May 26, 2011 5:08 pm

Mmm maybe. But if Jim gets his substitutions wrong, I can still see some of the regulars who sit behind him shouting things like 'bloody garbage Bentley!' and 'sort it out or get out of our club'.

Well, they might do.......

once.

:lol:
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Posh » Thu May 26, 2011 5:33 pm

steve mfc wrote:

I don't think that's true. Sure there'll be those who'll moan about anything but Jim is Morecambe through and through, he's doing thing like fans forums, addressing things fans care about and talking the town and the club in a way we haven't seen in a long long time. And he'll never change.

Let's be positive. Just as Jim is.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Christies Child » Thu May 26, 2011 5:37 pm

shrimper wrote:Mmm maybe. But if Jim gets his substitutions wrong, I can still see some of the regulars who sit behind him shouting things like 'bloody garbage Bentley!' and 'sort it out or get out of our club'.

Well, they might do.......

once.

:lol:

Not from me......
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby jbcshrimp » Thu May 26, 2011 7:50 pm

If I have it right and J.B is going to be Player Manager whats to stop him warming up down the touch line co-ordinating things with Baz as he did when he wasn't manager.
jbcshrimp

Postby marky No.1 » Thu May 26, 2011 10:40 pm

As some other Clubs do, I would like to see the Management do a post match assessment win or lose. It would get bums on seats and get a few extra quid over the bar. If a function is on after MOM then it could be done downstairs. Would be great to see most of the players around as well rather than scurrying off .Sorry to pile more on ya plate Jim but it would also give you chance to "interact" with anyone behind the dugout who had been dishing out advice during the game
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby RedRedWine1 » Thu May 26, 2011 11:31 pm

On Bay Radio "what is your aim this season Jim"

"To win the league" - No pressure there then.

Jim will get a long period of time to get it right on the pitch, due to goodwill he has generated from the fans after the shift he has put in over the years. But ultimately, the same know-it-alls that wanted Sammy lynched will be the same ones calling for Bentley to go IF we are struggling to put the results together and are at the wrong end of the table after Christmas. They already have the bait lined-up; he has no experience.

Fortunately the moaning is futile, PMG pulls the strings here and what he says goes. He has backed those who have been successful and reaped the benefits of that success over the years, supplying his managers with competitive playing budgets and the time they need require to implement change and push the club forwards. Long live PMG.
RedRedWine1

Postby Duffman » Fri May 27, 2011 7:37 am

RedRedWine wrote:But ultimately, the same know-it-alls that wanted Sammy lynched will be the same ones calling for Bentley to go IF we are struggling to put the results together and are at the wrong end of the table after Christmas.

Rubbish.

My personal reasons for wanting a change in management was down to Sammy's style and the fact he himself knew he had taken us as far as he could. It was interesting on Wednesday to hear what the club was like last season and what Jimbo plans to do. Jimbo mentioned the lack of team spirit several times and it came across as if no effort was made at any time to improve this. The players would train in Preston for a couple of hours, get changed in separate rooms and go home. Jimbo wants every player to turn up to the ground (in Morecambe!) for breakfast, get everyone in the changing room together for the banter, train together, have lunch and then leave. Similarly with agents, Jimbo mentioned a couple of times he won't deal with them, he wants to look a player in the eye before he signs them, not based on a CV handed to him. You, RRW, could call it the "Capaldi Filter". Jimbo in the 3/4 weeks he's been in the job has probably scouted more games and spoke to more potential new players face to face than Sammy ever did.

What I want from a manager is what we have in Jimbo. If it fails, I cannot fault him to effort and determination.
Duffman

Postby marky » Fri May 27, 2011 7:49 am

Speaking for myself, the only expectation I have regarding next season is that we entertain more and stay well clear of the relegation places. A play off place would be a bonus. As long as Jim delivers a better standard of play and we finish comfortably in mid table, most if not all would be happy.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby mrpotatohead » Fri May 27, 2011 8:14 am

SOZ DUFFMAN

You were being quite accurate and well meaning there until your jim said several times he will not deal with agents comment, utter balls, if he said that fine, he never though, i recall him saying he was spending up to 8 hours a day on the phone, and how keen the agents were to contact him.

It is very noble spirited, but naive to think you can build a good squad out of agent free players, but there are non, do not misquote the gaffer again please.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby P/T Indie » Fri May 27, 2011 8:21 am

Good posts Duffman and Marky.

As long as the fans can see everyone is giving 100% from both the players and backroom staff then there can be no complaints from anyone even if we are getting beat by better teams, sometimes you have to hold your hands up and say the opposition were a better side.

The problem last season was that there was a sense of lack of effort which fans don't take kindly to.

Of course Jimbo might make a sub that not everyone agrees with, we will have a bad run at some point, and one of his signings might not turn out as well as he hoped. However if he is giving 100% and trying to come up with new ideas to help us turn round that bad run or help the player that has struggled since he has arrived then you can't complain.
The problem with Sammy was his ideas seemed to have run out and we were starting to go round in circles not learning from his mistakes and not changing things when needed which is why he had taken us as far as he could.

P/T Indie

Postby Duffman » Fri May 27, 2011 8:41 am

mrpotatohead wrote:SOZ DUFFMAN

You were being quite accurate and well meaning there until your jim said several times he will not deal with agents comment, utter balls, if he said that fine, he never though, i recall him saying he was spending up to 8 hours a day on the phone, and how keen the agents were to contact him.

It is very noble spirited, but naive to think you can build a good squad out of agent free players, but there are non, do not misquote the gaffer again please.

SOZ MRPOTATOHEAD

You're quite right, I must clarify my point. The impression I got was that he wouldn't be interested in hearing from agents about player x and never meeting/seeing the player in question. Of course if Jimbo identifies a player he wants and they can begin to negotiate, that's when a players agent steps in.

My apologies.
Duffman

Postby RedRedWine1 » Fri May 27, 2011 9:14 am

mrpotatohead wrote:naive

Word of the day. I initially thought that this thread was about grounding expectations - ermmmmmmm????

I'm one of Jimbo's biggest fans - he is probably my favourite ever Morecambe player. It is refreshing to read how Jim wants to implement change at the club and his ideas for this. It is difficult for even the most negative of posters to be anything but encouraged by the noises he is making as manager, but at the moment however they are just noises.

The agent stuff - the idea is as honourable as Jim (who surprisingly does not have an agent, wish there were more like him) but he might find when he gets his teeth stuck into the job that they are a necessary annoyance that isn't really required (club wants players, players want clubs, middle-bods have a slice of Dire Straits) that he has to work around, especially given the clubs size and current stature in the game. Quite a few people may have been placed in a similar predicament when looking for employment (I know I did!!) with tick box slut recruitment consultants.

The attractive football/style stuff - great, but what IF things aren't going well come Christmas time and we are leaking goals for fun? Sammy had us knocking the ball around at the start of last season yet people moaned - we weren't winning. Ultimately that is what it will boil down to for the majority, not how we play. This town is used to seeing it's side win (especially at home), last season was a bit of a culture shock for a lot of fans in this respect. As we pass through the season the proverbial goal-posts will shift. Jims job will be to manage the situation and utilise the resources at his disposal to the best of his ability; that might not equate to being gung-ho if the target come Christmas is staying up (as was Sammys by the end).

Capaldi is a good example of people being a bit naive and their opinions flip-flopping around. He was heralded as a good signing by most on here (apart from Marky who had previous knowledge of how shit he was at Leeds) when he first came... even before seeing him play! Actually Keith (I think) started a thread a few weeks ago saying if Capaldi had his head strewed on perhaps he could do a job for us. What is this based on if not his CV - he demonstrated little worth when he did play for us and indeed spent the majority of his time here on the bench?!? Oh, and he's a massive twat.
RedRedWine1

Postby marky No.1 » Fri May 27, 2011 9:54 am

I think we can all agree that Sammy wasn't a "fans person" or at least he didn't come across that way to say the least. I very much hope, as he has said in his own words, that Jim won't change his "banter" too much with "us lot" even though he is now suited and booted. The word that Sammy used when referring to some of us was "Clowns" and pretty much ignored them and this board to his ultimate downfall IMO

Jim, I suspect, even with his 14 hour days of watching games, players and being on the phone with his right hand while signing paperwork with his left, will continue to follow our comments and will pretty much know, if not he will find out, who we all are even when hiding behind a username. Then one day he will stand next to you tap you on your shoulder, look you in the eye and say "so what was all that about mate?" i can see why an Agent would be of no use to him :lol:

Fantastic appointmant, as PMG said, he didn't want a new manager and his entourage that didn't know Morecambe football club. long may it continue :D :D
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby P/T Indie » Fri May 27, 2011 10:03 am

I can never understand why players have agents the PFA over a service for free thats what Gary Neville has always used.

Also it's all well and good say well we can negotiate you a 20% increase but you need that just to cover their cut anyway so the player prob isn't any better off.

P/T Indie

Postby shrimper » Fri May 27, 2011 12:33 pm

I think, like Duffman, that Jim meant that he wouldn't take a player on just because an agent pushes him his way. No manager would, of course, but Jim was wanting to emphasise that.

His main point was that he would bypass the agent initially and talk directly to the player, look him in the eyes and find out more about his character and whether he was 'in' on the Jimbo ethos and philosophy for this club.

If he was convinced he'd be the right kind of character, THEN (and only then) he and the club would start talking to the agent about money, length of contract etc.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Return to General Discussion