Substitutions...

Substitutions...

Postby Welshrimp » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:21 pm

I'm Welshrimp and I'm a new Shrimpsvoices addict.
Welshrimp

Re: Substitutions...

Postby RedRedWine1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:06 pm

I literally got as far as the word Soccer and gave up, thanks but no yanks.
RedRedWine1

Re: Substitutions...

Postby Keith » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:20 am

RedRedWine wrote:I literally got as far as the word Soccer and gave up, thanks but no yanks.

The term 'soccer' was first used in Oxford in 1863 and was termed by Charles Wredford Brown, shortly after the formation of Association Football, which first formalised the laws of the game. Association Football was named to differentiate it from other types of football, in particular Rugby Football. Rugby Football was frequently referred to as "Rug-er" and so in a similar way Association Football was often referred to as "Assoc-er". The 'A' was quickly dropped, leading to the term Soc-er. The game was therefore known either by the full name "Association Football" or the shortened "Soccer". This lasted for almost 20 years before the first documented evidence of the word "Football" being used in the singular. In time, the term "Football" became most prevalent in the UK. When the game was 'exported' many countries already had a game with the name "football" so "soccer" became fashionable again to differentiate the two (or more) games.

Soccer, the original English name for the game we later called football. :ugeek:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion